collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Who's hunted Green River 485?  (Read 22461 times)

Offline westside bull

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Who's hunted Green River 485?
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2020, 09:01:31 PM »
The thing is these tag holder's are excited about drawing a tag to hunt bulls where limited people get to hunt and when someone starts running there mouth and bashing them people get excited.  The watershed has a history of big bulls and to alot of people its a quality bull tag. If it's a 250  or 350 bull I'm sure they will be happy.  Hopefully they kill some 300 plus bulls. :twocents:

Offline Furee65

• Hunter
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2020, 08:16:33 PM »
Its a fun hunt.  There are some giants in there.  One of the guards let me know that there was an 8x8 bull still lurking in there when I had the elk tag 3 years ago.  I took a little 4x5 bull even though there was a 6x6 in the same group I came across but I took the one that presented me with the best shot.  One of the guards sent me some photos of the big bulls that were taken by the other hunters when i was in there there were 2 nice 6x6 bulls and one beautiful dark horned 7x7.  I was happy with my little bull as my brother and I had a great time back in the watershed with lots of great memories.  I was also lucky to have the deer tag a few years prior and got a decent 3x3.  Seen quite a few big body 3x3 bucks running around without a care in the world while they were in the rut ha ha. 

Offline lonedave

• Scout
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2020, 08:28:26 PM »
Again, just for kicks, it would be neat to know how many, if any, archery or muzzleloader tag holders have harvested bulls with this permit?

Offline JoeE

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2020, 12:11:43 PM »
Igottanewknee and wamuledeer I wish you guys the best of luck. I will also say the unit holds some giant bulls and a really good bull to cow ratio. I feel like you guys have the right attitude and I hope you all get giants, especially your daughter. There is nothing like your kids success!
I hope this doesn't come across wrong but I think I hear 257 and agree. Many units in Washington, especially western Washington are over hyped. I have been attacked annually for being a realist and accused of being negative or misleading about trophy quality and the overall expectation of premium units. We all cannot help but dream of what might be and many dreams come true on these draws but I really feel like more are shattered (again I think your approach is correct and am making a generalization from experience).
Again, I wish you the best of luck and can't wait to see your successful hunt stories.

👍

It's tough, not near as many clearcuts  as one would expect. Killed a good bear in there, saw a damn good bull solo on the powerlines, lotsa  elk sign on the southside. If it were me I'd hit smay  creek\green mountain area..

*censored*

My son had the deer tag in there last year. We didn’t see a single buck and hunted several days. Saw lots of cow elk, a couple spiked and a raghorn bull. It was a disappointing hunt from what I was expecting but it was still nice to get out in the woods with my son and not bump into other hunters everywhere.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 01:20:59 PM by bearpaw »

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2020, 01:27:00 PM »
The forum does not allow negativity and bickering in success topics and in topics like this where a member is asking for help. I removed some of the negativity and bickering by a couple people. I'm sure the hunters with tags will appreciate any helpful info to assist them with their hunt, but please keep comments helpful and on topic. Even negative info is very helpful when provided in a positive manner! THANKS
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Online Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2020, 01:51:20 PM »
Thank you.

And to the OP...........    Go get 'em!
Have a great hunt!
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline LayMdown

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2020, 04:59:38 AM »
That map with kills is very interesting. That sure isn’t where I’d be spending my time down in the valley. I could see it for deer a bit more, but for bulls I’d be up high if the snow allows chasing the big boys. I’ve seen a lot of bulls rutting in the valley but I believe they bail out after the rut and gain some serious elevation.

I was in there that year Furee65 took the pictures of the kill map with my kid for a buck hunt and you couldn't get up very high without chains because of all the snow.

Offline Igottanewknee

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2020, 05:46:07 PM »
Getting closer to the hunt time... the paperwork from Tacoma Water came today with the maps and release, getting excited. Going to hit you guys up that I've communicated with pretty soon so I can find some of the spots on the map. 44 days till the hunt, but who's counting.  :IBCOOL:

Offline RB

• Frontiersman
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2020, 08:29:42 PM »
Getting closer to the hunt time... the paperwork from Tacoma Water came today with the maps and release, getting excited. Going to hit you guys up that I've communicated with pretty soon so I can find some of the spots on the map. 44 days till the hunt, but who's counting.  :IBCOOL:

Got mine too, just have not had time to look at it, soonest I can go is the 18th in the afternoon, I get off at 0700 that morning, and am a few hours away. I have the 18-21 off so will be concentrating my efforts those days. Best of luck to you!
IAFF #3728

Offline Coltrain

• Pilgrim
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2020, 11:30:53 AM »
My Dad had the bull tag last year; the weather was way too nice to have much luck and he didn't end up killing anything. We heard reports of bulls being taken in the elk pastures and in the high country, so they were spread out all over the watershed. He wasn't able to do a ton of hiking the brush due to his age, but if you can, and are willing to burn some boot leather, I would get off the mainline and actually hunt some of the deep canyons/big timber up Smay creek.  There will be about 30 vehicles driving up and down the mainline, all day long... And... pray for snow in the high country. A little snow would help to start moving them down and concentrate them a bit. There seems to be two types of elk in there: the almost tame ones (There was one 300+ 6 point spotted with a herd of 60 cows walking down the mainline at 11 am one day, near the elk pastures) and the truly wild ones that act like normal elk. The only bull we saw was right at daylight in the back of Smay creek and he took off like a cut cat! Also, the staff running the hunt are super helpful and are a great resource. They spend all year driving the roads so they have a good idea of where the animals are.
Good luck; it is a fun hunt, and it's gorgeous country to explore regardless of whether you kill or not. We saw goats, bears, several nice bucks...

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2020, 11:43:22 AM »
Great info, my dad has a disabled buck tag this year, would you mind sending me a pm on those areas where you saw big bucks??  I've been in there before but things change and it's been a while.  So the dates are correct in the pamphlet aren't they?  the permit card had the wrong dates I think, my dad hasn't received his pamphlet yet???
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Igottanewknee

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2020, 12:39:55 PM »
Great info, my dad has a disabled buck tag this year, would you mind sending me a pm on those areas where you saw big bucks??  I've been in there before but things change and it's been a while.  So the dates are correct in the pamphlet aren't they?  the permit card had the wrong dates I think, my dad hasn't received his pamphlet yet???
You need to contact the licensing department of Wdfw to get the updated permit. Although they did say they were calling everyone to check out if you received the new permit (email with attachment). I'll look up the number and name of the person I talked to and PM you.
Bruce

Offline westside bull

• Scout
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2020, 01:54:34 PM »
The hunt is getting closer good luck to the tag holder's. Wamuledeer remember NO spikes for the first 3 days.  Lol

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2020, 12:21:11 PM »
Good luck tomorrow guys, should be good.  I forgot if we can hunt grouse in there, anyone know for sure??  I imagine if so we'd have to use steel shot?  I'll have my CB on the channel they post by the gate if anyone see's a big buck and don't have a tag, my dad's year started out great, hope to keep it going. 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2020, 12:22:18 PM »
good luck
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]