collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: buying a oil tag  (Read 2616 times)

Offline ibuyre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, SAF
buying a oil tag
« on: June 16, 2020, 06:40:24 PM »
So how does it work. I got drawn for antlerless moose. I know it's not oil but with the way things are.... there's a good chance of it. I got drawn. I went on the web site and I can't figure out how to buy the tag. Strange thing, it will let me buy a second deer tag, but I wasn't drawn for that. But no option for buying a cow moose tag. So I went to a dealer, and they also couldn't figure out how to buy the tag. So I called, and sent WDFW a e-mail and I am waiting for a reply..... I don't want to lose my draw because I don't buy the tag in time. BUT they aren't making it so I can buy it. How does this normally work?

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
Re: buying a oil tag
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 06:53:36 PM »
You have to buy it directly from the headquarters in Olympia. You can do it over the phone. 

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 06:54:54 PM »
Also don't get in a hurry. You won't miss out on it.  You can't even buy it right away.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline ibuyre

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 06:56:42 PM »
Found another number to try calling and buying it on the phone tomorrow. Also says that check or MO must be mailed to headquarters within a set time, min 15 days. But not seeing more. Like who at headquarters... to mail it to... hate for it to get lost for a few days and loose the tag. Crud... hope they answer the phone tomorrow...

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 07:13:15 PM »
You have time. Just call a regional office and they will get you squared away. They’re really nice about it all. Just pay over the phone if you can and be done with it. Few weeks later you’ll get your tag and some instructions. Make sure you read them all! Have fun and good luck!

Offline ibuyre

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 07:17:57 PM »
Thanks guys. You are making me feel allot better. I just really don't want to screw this up... lol... I will make some calls tomorrow.

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 07:50:49 PM »
They're going to send you a letter via the mail and give you a time frame to buy it.  Costs just north of $300 if memory serves me right. Once you pay, they'll send you a big manilla packet with the rest of the details of what you need to do and submit. Congrats, as you've already completed the hardest part :chuckle:

Offline Reinsurance shooter

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 07:47:23 AM »
They're going to send you a letter via the mail and give you a time frame to buy it.  Costs just north of $300 if memory serves me right. Once you pay, they'll send you a big manilla packet with the rest of the details of what you need to do and submit. Congrats, as you've already completed the hardest part :chuckle:

mtnMuley- Way to bring the salient point to the front door step... getting drawn is the hard part!   

Totally hear the OPs point though on getting screwed within the government bureaucracy... would be a go figure moment if it didn’t work as it is intended to.  Congrats on the draw!

Offline sjhgraysage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 12:40:27 PM »
My advice is dont wait for something to show up in the mail. Call the Olympia office and talk to someone. Tell them you drew a special hunt, give them your wild id number and buy the tag with your credit card.
I never did get a notification in the mail about buying my moose tag. Only got the tag and info after I called and purchased it over the phone.

Offline Halo

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2020, 01:11:57 PM »
Go buy it at the headquarters office and they may sell you a second tag later. That's my experience lol. They were unhappy I didn't take an extra goat tag.

Offline ibuyre

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2020, 10:35:18 PM »
I got my tag bought. They where really helpful and said they are sending the tag and a package of info, tooth envelope and what they want ect. I called and they had someone call me back that could sell me the tag. I was just starting to sweat it because I had waited 10 days to try and buy it, then realized the regs said something about 15 days and with covid disruption I was OH CRAP and starting to panic a little. But I got it done :). Thanks guys. Sorry to be a drama queen. I am just super excited and didn't want to risk screwing this up.

Offline Reinsurance shooter

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2020, 06:38:09 AM »
No need to apologize... these are our very own win the lotto moments.  Putting questions like that up on forums is important.  Given what had happened to others, sounds like you were well served to call!  I will be making my call as a result. Thank you for putting the topic out there.

Offline Deepinthetrees

• Pilgrim
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2020, 09:48:08 AM »
Thanks for posting this ibuyre. 

I didn't realize this small detail.  I know it says it in the regs, but that's easy to overlook because obviously it's not often you draw an OIL tag.  I talked to some of my hunting buddies and they didn't realize this either, so it's not uncommon.

I just called up the Olympia Office number listed in the regs, and she had someone call me back 20 minutes later and collected my $332 for the sheep license and tag.  The regs (see photo) make it look a little confusing because it says "15 day minimum".  This kind of feels like you have 15 days to buy the tag when you're quickly reading it, and panic can set in  :o :chuckle:.  The guy at Fish and Game said the department has at least 15 days to set a deadline for buying the tags which is usually late July.

So good info to know!

Offline nwhunter

• Sourdough
  • nwhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2020, 09:37:12 PM »
I called in and paid for my moose tag and got it in the mail in about three days. Tag in hand!! Even if Gov Inslee tries to screw with our fall hunting I'm going moose hunting...

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal