collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Rimrock Archery Elk  (Read 6701 times)

Offline Elkallthetime

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: RMEF
Rimrock Archery Elk
« on: June 18, 2020, 12:14:34 AM »
So I see a few on here has hunted archery elk in Rimrock. The last time I hunted Rimrock was 18 years ago with my dad. It was spike or cow then and I got my 1st elk! My dad and his hunting partners were pretty successful for years, mainly hunting from tree stands. Well my hunting partner and father past away in March. So I thought it would be cool to try and draw a quality archery elk tag in that unit. And sure enough. I got drawn! I'm curious what the pressure is going to be like considering it's a spike only unit for archery now. I know there will be a few that drew like me and a few cow draw tags. Also, curious if anyone can give me a few pointers. As of right now, I'm going solo and will have a base camp and be able to bivy out from there with camp on my back. Is calling an option? Im excited to try to harvest a big bull in a unit my dad said he saw many and tried to draw himself. Any Intel would be much appreciated. I'd ask the old man but he took his knowledge with him to heaven. Thanks

Offline elkrack

• Framer
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Rimrock Archery Elk
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 06:32:04 AM »
Congrats on the draw! :tup:  Way less pressure with spike only. Bulls will be vocal especially if you get away from the main roads. Good luck up there
life's tough its tougher if your stupid (john wayne)

If you ain’t first your last☝🏻

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 11:59:09 AM »
West of Narrow Neck Gap also Blue Slide. You can get into the Rimrock unit from the Darland Mountain side but requires boot leather. Or go to Minnie Meadows and hike uphill and to the south -long hike--. I arrowed a bull up that way that had a collar on it. The bull was collared above White Swan the March before. Big Rez. herd would summer up there and as soon as the rifle deer season started they would drop down to Klickitat Meadows on the Rez. Buddy missed a record book bull right after I shot mine Good ole days. Have not been up there in 30 years.
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline LuckyDog

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 09:27:17 PM »
Sorry for the loss but what a cool year to draw, something special in the wind maybe! Sending a PM

Offline cryder

• relic01
  • Longhunter
  • elk down
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 12:06:05 AM »
I've been foraging that piece of entertaining piece of state revenue gathering for 25 years ,got tired of being pains reciprical I've hunted as a kid I've hunted as a idiot and I've hunted there as a exsperianced senior,so ,,, what are the odds your gunna see a elk traveling under 20 miles an hour , what are the odds your gunna see one that fits your extra dollars harvest lottery ticket , what are the odds it's gunna be a true spike , and what are the odds your gunna put a flying stick in it to where it goes , down and doesn't run for ten Acer's , so u can track it for days , and find it doesn't have any of the deceases that are plauquing our forests ??? Oh ya ! And what are the odds your not ruined , busted or just plain embaraced when the Jeep club that meets , eats and pickels there brains , beyond careing about what your up to other than wearing some kind of Gill clown suit , and as far as buggling goes , what a joke , as Wayne chalrton said to me face to face at a small gathering here in Spokane s general store , the only call left for us fools who are still trying to fool Mr majestic , is the lost calf call , on a little $5 cheep caller  , just one little chirp , the cows come running and the bulls follow , hey where the heck ya going type stuff , 90% of the time bulls are dumb enuff to bugle and attract preditors or us , these know it alls who bugle into the dark spectical of there drunkenness are just calling in preditors or scairing the elk away , again with 90% of the time , then there's the Christian rock band that throws there secret message across the giant valley every season , then there the cordiroy camoes thing , the full blown headers road hunting party ,where all you see is bows , arrows head bands , bandannas and teeth and beer and yelling,  and the crooks creeps and criminals that watch from a far for you to go on your I'm alone trek then Rob you blind , only to be told bywoodsy Mr. Green jeans that he's sorry to here that but he's got herd of elk to protect by closing a road to them with signs that say fire danger !!!😃🤣😂 But hey ! Great draw get out there before the Hubble carring fools take over ery inch of safety and sanity that is our forests today , and where a mask DANGIT !!!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 12:23:02 AM by cryder »
loction location location ! perzackly !

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 06:32:27 AM »
BOOM
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline emac

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 06:52:18 AM »
There he is there it is wont get a better truth

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 07:03:32 AM »
Except the part about bugles. Lots of elk die every year because of well-timed bugling  :twocents:
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 06:18:59 AM »
I've been foraging that piece of entertaining piece of state revenue gathering for 25 years ,got tired of being pains reciprical I've hunted as a kid I've hunted as a idiot and I've hunted there as a exsperianced senior,so ,,, what are the odds your gunna see a elk traveling under 20 miles an hour , what are the odds your gunna see one that fits your extra dollars harvest lottery ticket , what are the odds it's gunna be a true spike , and what are the odds your gunna put a flying stick in it to where it goes , down and doesn't run for ten Acer's , so u can track it for days , and find it doesn't have any of the deceases that are plauquing our forests ??? Oh ya ! And what are the odds your not ruined , busted or just plain embaraced when the Jeep club that meets , eats and pickels there brains , beyond careing about what your up to other than wearing some kind of Gill clown suit , and as far as buggling goes , what a joke , as Wayne chalrton said to me face to face at a small gathering here in Spokane s general store , the only call left for us fools who are still trying to fool Mr majestic , is the lost calf call , on a little $5 cheep caller  , just one little chirp , the cows come running and the bulls follow , hey where the heck ya going type stuff , 90% of the time bulls are dumb enuff to bugle and attract preditors or us , these know it alls who bugle into the dark spectical of there drunkenness are just calling in preditors or scairing the elk away , again with 90% of the time , then there's the Christian rock band that throws there secret message across the giant valley every season , then there the cordiroy camoes thing , the full blown headers road hunting party ,where all you see is bows , arrows head bands , bandannas and teeth and beer and yelling,  and the crooks creeps and criminals that watch from a far for you to go on your I'm alone trek then Rob you blind , only to be told bywoodsy Mr. Green jeans that he's sorry to here that but he's got herd of elk to protect by closing a road to them with signs that say fire danger !!!😃🤣😂 But hey ! Great draw get out there before the Hubble carring fools take over ery inch of safety and sanity that is our forests today , and where a mask DANGIT !!!

Luckily none of this is true or whatever you meant by any of that lol. I always loved that unit growing up. Pretty easy to get away from people and tons of elk. And oh ya. You can bugle in a bunch of them. :tup:

Offline Buzz2401

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 09:47:07 AM »
LOL Cryder is more correct then not. Been hunting there 30 years and have encountered every single thing he says.  Now its not a guarantee that your hunt will be ruined by one of the things listed but with the amount of activity in the unit it is always a possibility.  There are places to get away from the majority of the crowds but there isn't any part of that unit that doesn't get people in it. 

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 10:50:58 AM »
LOL Cryder is more correct then not. Been hunting there 30 years and have encountered every single thing he says.  Now its not a guarantee that your hunt will be ruined by one of the things listed but with the amount of activity in the unit it is always a possibility.  There are places to get away from the majority of the crowds but there isn't any part of that unit that doesn't get people in it.

Must depends what part of the unit you hunt. I have only hunted in it about 15 times and ran into another person once that I can recall.

Offline cryder

• relic01
  • Longhunter
  • elk down
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2020, 07:53:11 PM »
Yes , next year , being 62 and cancer recovery , I'll be spending big bucks on a clod hopper , saddle , to place my game cam in ones of those places you believe your alone , untill I discover some woodsy creep has stolen my game cam , Wich by the way has happened twice , on e out of my tent and the other by a sign that said no access , firedanger !! Went back in the early winter to follow prints right up to my camera location , it was gone , evidently someone checked it two or three times before Hocking it somewhere in beatifull downtown Naches for a box of apples prolly , and that thing was nowhere near roads , trails or dirt bikes , I was really surprised , but it really put things in perspective as to the forests we are charged , taxed , and babysat to imitate hu time g , I get the correct use of buggleing , I get it , but like I said 90% of the time it's the wrong choice , I used the lost calf call 1 money after speaking with Wayne the shock of the quick response I got cought me not ready , huge 3×4 came in behind two cows , I'm litteraly between the cows so I tried not to spook the as I heard the branches and lim busting , I was left with horns at the top of the brush and liegs at the bottom , no shot , and no way to move without getting busted , for some reason the cows ran off and Mr. Majestic took off the other way , breeze was perfect for me so unclear why they bailed on me , I was speechless for quite a while , but that call worked to perfection , ha b nt been close enuff since ,.but I will be back to the rimrock area soon

loction location location ! perzackly !

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2020, 07:51:20 AM »
Yes , next year , being 62 and cancer recovery , I'll be spending big bucks on a clod hopper , saddle , to place my game cam in ones of those places you believe your alone , untill I discover some woodsy creep has stolen my game cam , Wich by the way has happened twice , on e out of my tent and the other by a sign that said no access , firedanger !! Went back in the early winter to follow prints right up to my camera location , it was gone , evidently someone checked it two or three times before Hocking it somewhere in beatifull downtown Naches for a box of apples prolly , and that thing was nowhere near roads , trails or dirt bikes , I was really surprised , but it really put things in perspective as to the forests we are charged , taxed , and babysat to imitate hu time g , I get the correct use of buggleing , I get it , but like I said 90% of the time it's the wrong choice , I used the lost calf call 1 money after speaking with Wayne the shock of the quick response I got cought me not ready , huge 3×4 came in behind two cows , I'm litteraly between the cows so I tried not to spook the as I heard the branches and lim busting , I was left with horns at the top of the brush and liegs at the bottom , no shot , and no way to move without getting busted , for some reason the cows ran off and Mr. Majestic took off the other way , breeze was perfect for me so unclear why they bailed on me , I was speechless for quite a while , but that call worked to perfection , ha b nt been close enuff since ,.but I will be back to the rimrock area soon

Sometime’s cow calls work better then bugles, but to say bugling is the wrong way to call in a bull 90% of the time because you called in a bull Once with a cow call? I can’t take anything You say seriously.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2020, 08:10:26 AM »
cryder is our national treasure.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline emac

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2020, 10:09:03 AM »
Cryder for governor 2020

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]