collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Montana state land access  (Read 4176 times)

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Montana state land access
« on: June 21, 2020, 03:54:09 AM »
So I have a hunting spot surrounded by private land in Montana. I talked with a helicopter service to get dropped off on the state land which borders BLM land, and he said I would have to get permission from whoever leases the state land?? I don’t understand because on ONX it says State of Montana. That’s it. Is there something I’m missing here?

Offline Buckhunter24

• Sourdough
Re: Montana state land access
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 05:40:54 AM »
Maybe a range/cattle type lease?

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 10:12:10 AM »
Can you land on the BLM?  Is it the famous helicopter spot surrounded by N Bar?

Offline Bluemoon

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
    • Tuxedo Kennels/ Tuxedo's Outdoor Adventures
    • Tuxedo Kennels
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 11:18:16 AM »
Playing devil's advocate here.
But if you "already" have the spot, then why do you need the helicopter and permission? :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 12:24:13 PM »
But if you "already" have the spot, then why do you need the helicopter and permission? :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Sounds like he found a piece of public land he wants to hunt but it is surrounded by private land.  Way to common in the West and pretty bad in MT in particular.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 12:31:37 PM »
You need to call the Montana DNRC, and ask that question. They manage Montana's state trust lands. What Onx maps shows is irrelevant. You might also check into the BLM land. I think chances are greater that you'd be able to land there.

http://dnrc.mt.gov/divisions/trust/recreational-use-of-state-land

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 01:36:59 PM »
You need to call the Montana DNRC, and ask that question. They manage Montana's state trust lands. What Onx maps shows is irrelevant. You might also check into the BLM land. I think chances are greater that you'd be able to land there.

Why would he need to contact them?

"By agreement between DNRC and the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks (DFWP), persons who possess a valid Montana Conservation License from DFWP will be authorized to engage in hunting, fishing, and trapping on legally accessible state trust lands that are not closed or restricted to such use."
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 01:41:42 PM »
You can hunt state land that isn't posted closed, but the question is whether you can land a helicopter on state land.

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2020, 01:43:35 PM »

"By agreement between DNRC and the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks (DFWP), persons who possess a valid Montana Conservation License from DFWP will be authorized to engage in hunting, fishing, and trapping on legally accessible state trust lands that are not closed or restricted to such use."

So I have a hunting spot surrounded by private land in Montana. I talked with a helicopter service to get dropped off on the state land which borders BLM land, and he said I would have to get permission from whoever leases the state land?? I don’t understand because on ONX it says State of Montana. That’s it. Is there something I’m missing here?

Because the helo service says he has to get permission before they will land him there, it sounds like he will have to do a little extra (maybe unnecessary) work, unless he could fly the helo himself and has his own helo...   :dunno:
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2020, 01:45:04 PM »

Because the helo service says he has to get permission before they will land him there, it sounds like he will have to do a little extra (maybe unnecessary) work, unless he could fly the helo himself and has his own helo...   :dunno:
Ok. That makes sense. The helicopter needs permission, not necessarily the hunter.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2020, 02:23:10 PM »

Because I have permission on a chunk of private that’s surrounded by other private but it’s like a 5 mile hike into it through another huge chunk of private that won’t let you drive through but can walk. It’s complicated

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2020, 02:26:44 PM »

Unfortunately the BLM is a wilderness study area... but I’m assuming the state land from what bob33 posted is open to hunting if it’s state land? I hunted it last year and didn’t think twice. Said State of Montana. Then this helicopter service had me wondering. He didn’t say it was for sure not a go on the state land but told me if I talked to the land owner it would be a for sure go. And no this isn’t the famous helicopter fly in spot no one does that here

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2020, 03:47:31 PM »
Sure you can hunt it if you can legally access it. It may not be legal to land a helicopter there. That's what you need to find out from the people who are responsible for managing Montana's state trust lands. The helicopter pilot may be correct in that you need permission from the person who has it leased. Even if he's wrong, he's not willing to do it without permission from whoever it is that can grant that permission.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 01:11:52 PM by bobcat »

Offline dune

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2020, 01:10:21 PM »
Call the BLM office and ask if you need  a permit  to  land  the helicopter if they will not let you call the state  land agency  and they might.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Offline callturner

• Longhunter
    • n/a
  • Groups: nra
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2020, 08:12:27 AM »
Randy Newberg has a youtube video where he does the exact same thing.  By helicopter.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal