collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Muzzle brake, are they worth it?  (Read 6498 times)

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Re: Muzzle brake, are they worth it?
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2020, 09:54:40 AM »
Some time ago, I read a write up where they tested a bunch of different muzzle brakes and the ones that provided the biggest reduction in recoil, were also the loudest so like most things, it's all about trade offs.

It certainly wasn't the highest rated for recoil reduction but it still had pretty decent recoil reduction and wasn't as loud, was the Seekins ATC muzzle brake.  They're pretty reasonably priced at $89 so maybe give that one a look.
you need a gun smith to put on don't you?  Or do I just thread the barrel myself? You guys are great, thanks for all the opinions.  I'll be buying a new huskemaw scope to replace my older one here soon, so after this last bear trip it might be a good time to put a brake on.  Wearing ear plugs while hunting is something I've never done, never even thought it would help me shoot better. But I've been taking a brand new hunter w me on this spring bear and he missed an easy shot w my gun, this trip I will bring ear plugs for him and see if that helps w the buck fever type shots.  Good info guys, thanks
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2020, 10:15:08 AM »
Some time ago, I read a write up where they tested a bunch of different muzzle brakes and the ones that provided the biggest reduction in recoil, were also the loudest so like most things, it's all about trade offs.

It certainly wasn't the highest rated for recoil reduction but it still had pretty decent recoil reduction and wasn't as loud, was the Seekins ATC muzzle brake.  They're pretty reasonably priced at $89 so maybe give that one a look.
you need a gun smith to put on don't you?  Or do I just thread the barrel myself? You guys are great, thanks for all the opinions.  I'll be buying a new huskemaw scope to replace my older one here soon, so after this last bear trip it might be a good time to put a brake on.  Wearing ear plugs while hunting is something I've never done, never even thought it would help me shoot better. But I've been taking a brand new hunter w me on this spring bear and he missed an easy shot w my gun, this trip I will bring ear plugs for him and see if that helps w the buck fever type shots.  Good info guys, thanks

Unless you're a machinist by trade, you'll need to have it threaded by someone.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2020, 10:20:06 AM »
My shoulder these days cannot take the recoil it used to.  I have outfitted my 30cal rifles with a brake.  Long and short, yes they do help.

They do not make the gun "louder" as much as they change where it is loud so that it is more noticeable to the shooter and anyone standing to the sides/ just behind them.  There are different designs that change where this happens as well.  At the shooter it does get louder, but not louder than it was before the brake, it is just louder where people are located to notice it.

You can put a brake on yourself depending on what one you get.  Obviously your barrel needs to be threaded too.  If it is not then I would say take barrel and brake in to a gunsmith and they can thread and properly install it.  Might be worth researching both a can and a brake, there are places out there that make a brake that is threaded to also take a can, best of both worlds...

Offline stlusn30-06

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Wildlife Committee of Washington, BHA
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2020, 10:22:43 AM »
He moved so meeting up w him will be hard, my biggest problem is "pulling" my shot. I'm not a bad shot, just killed my bear at 384 yards, but just can't seem to quit jerking the trigger.

Not intending to sound a like a jerk here, this is genuinely in hopes you shoot better, but a muzzle break probably won't solve this. Do you not "pull" shots with any other caliber? Is it just the .300 win mag bruiser that causes you to move? Finally, which way are you pulling? down and to the left? up and to the right? Is it all over the place?

That said, a muzzle break will lower the amount of recoil.
I seem to pull to the right, I tend to jerk the dang trigger no matter how long I've been hunting and shooting.  I do, do better when it's an animal for some reason, normally.  This last bear I killed I was shaken like a leaf on a tree for some reason, whet to take a shot and I pulled the crap out of it without actually firing the gun.  I was able to calm down, breath, and made the 384 yard shot.  Just tired of me pulling to the right and jerking the trigger.  Not sure why, that's why I'm asking about the brake.

I'm no instructor by any stretch, and obviously trying to diagnose over the internet will probably lead to nothing, but normally if you are anticipating recoil you tend to push down. You are right to focus on breathing, getting yourself calmed down, working on squeezing through the pull. You may also look into your basic form. How tight you have snugged into your shoulder. How tight your cheek weld is. Where are your elbows? yada yada yada. Breathing and repetition will help calm the nerves. Working through the basics of form should help keep those shots centered.

Just my experience, but rifles, pistol, tactical, doesn't matter. It is rare that modifications, or aids will fix a problem. It might make shooting more pleasant, but consistent accuracy almost always comes down to fundamentals and practice. 
“There are people in my life who sometimes worry about me when I go off into the fields and streams, not realizing that the country is a calm, gracious, forgiving place and that the real dangers are found in the civilization you have to pass through to get there." - Gierach

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2020, 10:32:16 AM »
Heavy caliber rifle recoil makes you pull. It's the reaction to pull your shoulder back when you pull the trigger.. it's learned and it's the bodies reaction to minimize pain..

Pushing is generally a handgun issue.

Also you generally don't flinch as much shooting off hand because your upper body can absorb the recoil better. Flinching gets worse as you go seated at a bench and into the prone position.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 10:47:32 AM by fishngamereaper »

Offline Reidus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2020, 10:45:22 AM »
Night and day difference with a brake. Small skinny brakes aren't as effective. Generally, the bigger the brake the more effective it is. Shooting a box through a 300 wm without a brake is punishing. With a brake you could shoot all day no problem. Wear the neckband plugs while hunting.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2020, 11:06:44 AM »
 :tup:   Good gunsmith closest to Bonney lake....... And GO!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2020, 12:27:05 PM »
Dry fire will definitely help that jerk affect! 10 dry fires for every round you shoot.  I’m liking the clam shell style brakes more and more.  Can’t help with the smith
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2020, 12:31:55 PM »
They make bolt on one's I was looking into them looked like they worked pretty darn good
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline huntnfmly

• Frontiersman
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2020, 12:33:57 PM »
Whittmachine.net
Given to me by another member on here

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2020, 12:37:21 PM »
I’ve heard good things about those witt clamp on breaks
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline huntnfmly

• Frontiersman
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2020, 12:39:20 PM »
Same here will probably be getting some for daughters rifles.
Looks like all they need from you is the measurement at end of barrel and then 1 inch in on barrel and measure

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2020, 01:09:08 PM »
I'm a big fan of the mbm 4 port beast brakes. That would be my recommendation. That or an apa Lil *censored* though I feel the beast is a more effective brake. Order one up and have a smith spin it on. As I stated before, Practice like you play. Part of the shooting drills I have my kids do involves putting in their ear protection. Its second nature to them and they don't even give it a second thought.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2020, 01:20:34 PM »
Is he still in business? I have one of his and am very happy.

Palazzo Precision
26921 164TH AVE SE COVINGTON, WA 98042

(253) 631-3659

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2020, 01:36:23 PM »
Is he still in business? I have one of his and am very happy.

Palazzo Precision
26921 164TH AVE SE COVINGTON, WA 98042

(253) 631-3659

He did some work for me about 8-10 years ago.  He was long in the tooth then.  Did good work, but he has to be at least 80 years old by now.  Hope he is doing well.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]