collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WDFW seeking input on Coyote contests  (Read 5544 times)

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: WDFW seeking input on Coyote contests
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2020, 06:52:50 PM »
Sorry, but Miles is 100% correct.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2020, 06:55:22 PM »
WDFW enacting regulations for activities which are largely unregulated currently is a way to essentially fend off a radical approach from the legislature we wont like. It's essentially a "hey we're regulating this, so you don't have to" approach. A legislator could come in with the mindset of WDFW doesn't really have any contest regs and pass a bill which bans all contests. Then we're screwed, just like we are with hounds and bear baiting, only the legislature can fix it. With the current proposal WDFW can say they are at least regulating contests to an extent, which will hopefully fend off legislators.

I know several California game wardens and they said this exact approach is what led to the ban on bobcat hunting, trapping, and lead shot in their state. CDFW really didn't regulate that much on those activities, as a result the legislature saw it and took a radical approach with total bans.

I'm a big fan of yours Bigtex, but totally believe this is a line of bull.
Fred Moyer

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2020, 07:39:59 PM »
WDFW enacting regulations for activities which are largely unregulated currently is a way to essentially fend off a radical approach from the legislature we wont like. It's essentially a "hey we're regulating this, so you don't have to" approach. A legislator could come in with the mindset of WDFW doesn't really have any contest regs and pass a bill which bans all contests. Then we're screwed, just like we are with hounds and bear baiting, only the legislature can fix it. With the current proposal WDFW can say they are at least regulating contests to an extent, which will hopefully fend off legislators.

I know several California game wardens and they said this exact approach is what led to the ban on bobcat hunting, trapping, and lead shot in their state. CDFW really didn't regulate that much on those activities, as a result the legislature saw it and took a radical approach with total bans.

I'm a big fan of yours Bigtex, but totally believe this is a line of bull.

I second the BULL

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2020, 07:45:14 PM »
The reality is this. The WDFW is up against bad optics, just like hound hunting, trapping and such. They wont defend hunters because of our Gubner, and some in the department are not sportsmen.

The Commission and our legislators have some sway. There are a couple of commissioners that are animal rights folks but a good portion of them have a grasp of the situation. McIsiac is smart as a whip and not some pointy headed PHD. You can tell by the very precise questions he asks folks at comission meetings.

If your not willing to take 5 min to write up a support statement and send to the commission you have given up. WE ALL have pissed away more than 5 min on Hunt  Wa. If you have time to complain on here you have time to make a simple statement of support.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2020, 09:01:23 PM »
Everyone should respond, regardless of whether it will do anything or not.

WDFW should respond as well, but if we don't we can't really complain too much.

Hunting is regulated, coyote contests are regulated, there should be no discussion on that.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2020, 09:49:47 PM »
The reality is this. The WDFW is up against bad optics, just like hound hunting, trapping and such. They wont defend hunters because of our Gubner, and some in the department are not sportsmen.

The Commission and our legislators have some sway. There are a couple of commissioners that are animal rights folks but a good portion of them have a grasp of the situation. McIsiac is smart as a whip and not some pointy headed PHD. You can tell by the very precise questions he asks folks at comission meetings.

If your not willing to take 5 min to write up a support statement and send to the commission you have given up. WE ALL have pissed away more than 5 min on Hunt  Wa. If you have time to complain on here you have time to make a simple statement of support.

I always take the time to respond.  I always ask my wife to put in her 2 cents.  I'm just being pessimistic due to past experiences.
Fred Moyer

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2020, 09:18:29 AM »
Never been to a contest, nor have I shot a Coyote, but did take the survey and disagreed with the proposal. The second part if a hunter was caught in a contest that did not have a permit they would be issued a citation, how do you show intent, or participation if there is no paperwork? So if a few guys went out and had a great day predator hunting and were stopped would it be assumed they were having a contest?
IAFF #3728

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2020, 10:52:11 AM »
Never been to a contest, nor have I shot a Coyote, but did take the survey and disagreed with the proposal. The second part if a hunter was caught in a contest that did not have a permit they would be issued a citation, how do you show intent, or participation if there is no paperwork? So if a few guys went out and had a great day predator hunting and were stopped would it be assumed they were having a contest?

It's pretty simple, if you have a contest you get the permit for the event and people sign up.  If you don't enter a contest, you aren't in a contest.

WDFW could easily check with the contest organizer to see who is in and who isn't.  My understanding is that the contest organizer is the entity that needs the permit, not the people participating, but I could be wrong there as I haven't been in one before and have no plans to do so.

Online Jake Dogfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2020, 11:17:17 AM »
I’ll take hunting contests over poison bombs please. :tup:
Environmentalist Fundamentalist

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2020, 11:40:12 AM »

It's pretty simple, if you have a contest you get the permit for the event and people sign up.  If you don't enter a contest, you aren't in a contest.

WDFW could easily check with the contest organizer to see who is in and who isn't.  My understanding is that the contest organizer is the entity that needs the permit, not the people participating, but I could be wrong there as I haven't been in one before and have no plans to do so.

Anyone whom has participated in coyote madness on here has been in a coyote contest. I was informed that usually less than 6 permits a year are issued for coyote derbies and most take place on the east side. The Department has stated this has nothing to do with particular species it is PR
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2020, 12:16:54 PM »
They already know what they’re going to do.   This is a feel good exercise for you guys.   Once you feel good that you’re opinion was heard, they do what they want.
I dont share your defeatist attitude, and if your unwilling to fill out a 2 question survery and take 5 min to send a note your not very dedicated to preserving the sport.

I agree with miles but I'll fill out the questionnaire, seems every time wdfw asks for our opinion they already have their decision made, maybe except for the grizzly relocation, which was shocking.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Today at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Today at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by ghosthunter
[Today at 08:55:30 PM]

Pairs by Dan-o