collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: woodstove in Kodiak flexbow  (Read 1753 times)

Offline ganghis

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
woodstove in Kodiak flexbow
« on: June 24, 2020, 09:04:05 PM »
Hi all,
I just did my first burn in the woodstove I put in my new 10x10 flexbow.  I did a bit of reading on Rokslide and watching YouTube videos before deciding on this setup.  It's different than most, in that I put the stovejack in roof, instead of the sidewall as most people have done.  I did this for two reasons: first, it maximizes surface area of the stove pipe within the tent, so will in theory keep it warmer (this may or may not be a good thing), and second, it allows me to use the stock stove pipe that came with my stove (Camp Chef https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G55XXQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1). 

I borrowed a sewing machine from a friend (she also gave me a crash course in sewing), and bought some polyester upholstery thread to sew things in with (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CC8NU0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).  I decided on using a silpat (a silicone baking sheet) as the stove jack, and sewed a smaller, second one to the first to act as a rain shield and to cover the hole when there's not a stove pipe in there (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081ZD3TKD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1).  I sewed in the silpat from the interior about 1/8-3/16 inch from the silpat edge, cut out the canvas in the middle, leaving ~3/4 inch of canvas around the perimeter.  I then made 4 miters on the remaining canvas, folded the ends under and sewed again (canvas, canvas, silpat).  It was a pain in the ass to do all this on a home sewing machine because of all the fabric but it did just fine (pro tip: don't sew the top of your tent to the awning - ha ha!).  You could do it with an awl instead - that might be easier in some ways.  But I think if you go through the roof you want to make sure things are sewed in really good because there's a lot of pressure pulling the fabric apart on these tents.  Here are some videos that helped with the sewing:

I ended up just cutting a '+' into the silpat for the stovepipe to go through (this is what the Kifaru guys do).  Installation of the stovepipe is a little funny for me because I have a nesting stovepipe that increases in diameter with the pipes height.  So you can't really put it through from below unless you want to make the hole oversized.  But I was able to put a segment of pipe in from above when setting up the tent and just connected it to the rest of the stove pipe in the tent once it was up.  I used a 4 x 6 welding blanket doubled up into 2 x 3 underneath the stove itself. 

So far (which isn't long), this setup seems to work just fine.  Probably should have waited to post until I've got a season or two in it but wanted to get this out while it was fresh.  Hopefully this is helpful to someone - I know I couldn't have gotten this far without watching what others have posted so trying to return the favor.

Pics or it didn't happen:

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
Re: woodstove in Kodiak flexbow
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 09:40:58 PM »
Looks clean, but man... that stove is going to cook you out of that tent.... its gonna get hot fast.

Offline ganghis

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 09:55:12 PM »
Ha ha yeah I'm a little worried about that... hopefully between venting and fuel load and dampers I can work it out but its going to take some playing with

Offline millerwheeler

• Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 11:05:42 AM »
Don't bother packing any sleeping gear that's gonna be a sauna , my 10x12 wall tent gets so hot I can't breath with a small wood stove that's gonna be warm

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 11:12:56 AM »
Looks good, but all you need for that is one of the little backpacking jobs.  Bigger will stay lit longer though! Nice work

Offline Wunderlich33

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
  • You sure you know how to skin Griz?
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 12:32:46 PM »
I'm sweating just looking at it

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 08:36:47 PM »
Very ice job of modifying the tent and the sewing job but I can only imagine how hot it is going to be in a 10 x 10 knowing how warm it gets in my 10 x 14 using a small propane heater  set on 2 of 10 levels.
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 09:50:29 PM »
Awesome job on the alteration.  That stove combined with relatively small tent is going to cook everyone inside once you get it burning good  :chuckle:  I would look for a smaller stove or sleep with the door and any windows open.  Trust me.

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2020, 07:36:29 AM »
Very nice! Looks good. Debating myself on going with wood or sticking with propane. Enjoy!
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal