collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking for anyone to advise on a Complete DEF delete  (Read 19306 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Looking for anyone to advise on a Complete DEF delete
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2020, 03:55:32 PM »
Update on fuel economy changes for those interested.
Fueled up when left home and topped off when got back.
Now Winthrop to Chelan is not exactly highway driving and what one would say is average driving but used to get around 17+/- mpg, using actual gallons used today, averaged 22.6, using Cc when I could, so might not seem like a big increase to some but 5 mpg is satisfactory considering only changes made to truck were the deleting the PDF and EGR and installing an EZ LYNK tuner, I'M fairly happy with the increase.
The kit I used has no major increase in exhaust noise, a concern of some and when hammering down on the throttle no cloud of black smoke

Rolling coal would be more apt to happen with a hotter tune. Crank it up if you can and jump on it. See what happens.

most of these aftermarket tunes can really crank up the power, unfortunately the OEM transmissions installed are not rated.. there are lots of BAD things that can come from "cranking up".. reading about this,  recommended no more than +50 HP without transmission high pressure pumps and programming mods to support , which is another rabbit hole to go down..

I agree.  I wasn’t sure if he was surprised at no smoke or what. Assume he’s running a fairly stock tune, which is probably what is best for the longevity of the truck.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2020, 04:30:53 PM »
Black "Coal" isnt 100% sign of power.  It is a sign of unburnt fuel, a dirty tune.  Good tuning doesnt smoke like that.  Actually very little smoke.  It is good thing to not smoke coal, so to speak.  That said many hot tunes do smoke black due to turbo not keeping up or extra fuel being used to help cool egt temps.  So it is a 2 headed beast in many ways.  My 06 had an aggressive Quadzilla tuning system when I purchased it.  It made stupid power, pinged and shuddered and went like a train, rolling coal!  Forget about looking in the rear view mirror.  I removed it.  Anarchy Diesel Phil wrote me custom tunes based on all performance mods done on truck.  Wow.  Power still there mostly, no smoke, pinging etc.  Smooth n clean with safety parameters.  Spool maxed at 38psi instead of 46psi.  Egts defueled around 1350degrees.  It was a good example of tuned correctly imop.   Now I have 2020 cummins.  I have no intention of tuning it.  Why?  It does great, 1000lb plenty of power. Quiet as church mouse. :tup:
MAGA!  Again..

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2020, 11:33:15 AM »
Black "Coal" isnt 100% sign of power.  It is a sign of unburnt fuel, a dirty tune.  Good tuning doesnt smoke like that.  Actually very little smoke.  It is good thing to not smoke coal, so to speak.  That said many hot tunes do smoke black due to turbo not keeping up or extra fuel being used to help cool egt temps.  So it is a 2 headed beast in many ways.  My 06 had an aggressive Quadzilla tuning system when I purchased it.  It made stupid power, pinged and shuddered and went like a train, rolling coal!  Forget about looking in the rear view mirror.  I removed it.  Anarchy Diesel Phil wrote me custom tunes based on all performance mods done on truck.  Wow.  Power still there mostly, no smoke, pinging etc.  Smooth n clean with safety parameters.  Spool maxed at 38psi instead of 46psi.  Egts defueled around 1350degrees.  It was a good example of tuned correctly imop.   Now I have 2020 cummins.  I have no intention of tuning it.  Why?  It does great, 1000lb plenty of power. Quiet as church mouse. :tup:
Thanks for adding sanity to more power! :tup:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline GASoline71

• Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/gary.strassburg.7?ref=bookmarks
  • Groups: Conservation Coalition of Washington, ABF WA Chapter, F4WM, WWC
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2021, 03:43:41 PM »
  Now I have 2020 cummins.  I have no intention of tuning it.  Why?  It does great, 1000lb plenty of power. Quiet as church mouse. :tup:

I just bought a 2020 Cummins 3500 rated at 1K of TQ as well.  Just pulled around 9k in a dump trailer and the truck didn't even know it was back there.  :)

Gary
One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job. ~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2021, 04:55:55 PM »
 :tup:  Recent trip to Boise.  Towed a 27TT.  Truck did 18mpg empty at high speeds freeway.  11mpg towing on return trip through the Bluemnts etc.  Cabbage hill was all cruise control and auto engine brake engaged.  Absolutely amazed me how well it did.  Didnt need to touch foot pedals.  Steering buttons for CC did all the work.  Brakes werent used.  I forget TT is back there until I look in mirror.  Wind was brutal on pass/Baker city area.  70mph winds wouldnt surprise me?!  Either way it was pleasure to drive and no complaints.  Power was no concern, plenty of it left in the ready.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2021, 06:13:03 PM »
On a recent trip to UT and back running highway speeds +5   averaged 26+ only needed 2 fuel stops between Winthrop and Payson UT with a 25 gal tank. Yes I am a happy camper with the results of the delete.
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2021, 06:15:22 PM »
Prerty darn good.  +5 doesnt apply to me though.  I drive little faster then others. :yike:  Also I recommend a 50Gal tank.  I LOVE it.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2021, 07:47:28 PM »
On a recent trip to UT and back running highway speeds +5   averaged 26+ only needed 2 fuel stops between Winthrop and Payson UT with a 25 gal tank. Yes I am a happy camper with the results of the delete.

That's fantastic mileage there!

Offline Grit dog

• Longhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2021, 10:37:30 PM »
Just don’t trade the truck in when you’re done with it.  Dealer has to put all the emissions crap back on.  My dealer says there’s no way around it for them.  They just take that off the cost of the trade in. If ya sell it privately, it’s not an issue. Been considering doing this to my ‘14 Duramax
I have an 06 duramax, I know it doesn't have the def bs on it but I ordered a straight pipe from alligator performance in Idaho, and installed the edge computer.  Improved my mileage from about 11 to 15.5 towing, long drives I've gotten up to 18+.
A straight pipe didn’t give you 4 mpg or even 1 mpg unless you’re previous exhaust had a potato in the pipe.

Offline Grit dog

• Longhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2021, 10:38:51 PM »
I have  a 15 Ram fully deleted that i did myself that is awesome.  It's lifted 2.5 inches sitting on 35 inch tires getting around 21 mpg's on the high way downhill.

Totally believable.

Offline Grit dog

• Longhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2021, 10:42:33 PM »

Now the BS is getting really deep. Like trading your boots in for waders deep!

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2021, 10:52:50 PM »
Just don’t trade the truck in when you’re done with it.  Dealer has to put all the emissions crap back on.  My dealer says there’s no way around it for them.  They just take that off the cost of the trade in. If ya sell it privately, it’s not an issue. Been considering doing this to my ‘14 Duramax
I have an 06 duramax, I know it doesn't have the def bs on it but I ordered a straight pipe from alligator performance in Idaho, and installed the edge computer.  Improved my mileage from about 11 to 15.5 towing, long drives I've gotten up to 18+.
A straight pipe didn’t give you 4 mpg or even 1 mpg unless you’re previous exhaust had a potato in the pipe.

I get maddeningly close to 20 mpg out of my '06 if I take a long road trip and set my cruise at 70.
I've gotten as good as 19.6 on a 2,500 mile long trip.

It's basically stock.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline spoonman

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2021, 07:50:13 AM »
I did the delete by getting a 07 Cummins 😁. Quite a few upgrades and I calculated 21+ miles per gallon on oversized tires. Now if I go over 70mph then mpg go down.

Offline Mtnwalker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2021, 09:31:44 AM »
I have  a 15 Ram fully deleted that i did myself that is awesome.  It's lifted 2.5 inches sitting on 35 inch tires getting around 21 mpg's on the high way downhill.

Totally believable.

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic here, but judging by your other comments I’m guessing yes. When I had my ‘12 done it took me from 15.8 to 21.6 on the same drive. Checked just before and just after the delete. I’m not running an adjustable tuner and had them keep the settings as close to stock as possible. 34” tires

Offline predatorpro

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2021, 01:37:19 PM »
The most important thing thing i have learned about fuel mileage is when your out of fuel you have to fill up...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]