collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking for anyone to advise on a Complete DEF delete  (Read 19319 times)

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Re: Looking for anyone to advise on a Complete DEF delete
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2021, 02:30:57 PM »
Just don’t trade the truck in when you’re done with it.  Dealer has to put all the emissions crap back on.  My dealer says there’s no way around it for them.  They just take that off the cost of the trade in. If ya sell it privately, it’s not an issue. Been considering doing this to my ‘14 Duramax
I have an 06 duramax, I know it doesn't have the def bs on it but I ordered a straight pipe from alligator performance in Idaho, and installed the edge computer.  Improved my mileage from about 11 to 15.5 towing, long drives I've gotten up to 18+.
A straight pipe didn’t give you 4 mpg or even 1 mpg unless you’re previous exhaust had a potato in the pipe.
Im telling you what I did, and it’s more 16.5 mph than 15.5 towing. My truck is lifted with 35” tires, the only thing I forgot to mention was the edge computer allowed me to tell the tranny I had 35” tires and not stock.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline gutsnthegrass

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2021, 07:42:30 AM »
Just don’t trade the truck in when you’re done with it.  Dealer has to put all the emissions crap back on.  My dealer says there’s no way around it for them.  They just take that off the cost of the trade in. If ya sell it privately, it’s not an issue. Been considering doing this to my ‘14 Duramax
I have an 06 duramax, I know it doesn't have the def bs on it but I ordered a straight pipe from alligator performance in Idaho, and installed the edge computer.  Improved my mileage from about 11 to 15.5 towing, long drives I've gotten up to 18+.
A straight pipe didn’t give you 4 mpg or even 1 mpg unless you’re previous exhaust had a potato in the pipe.
Im telling you what I did, and it’s more 16.5 mph than 15.5 towing. My truck is lifted with 35” tires, the only thing I forgot to mention was the edge computer allowed me to tell the tranny I had 35” tires and not stock.
The straight pipe helped, but I think the Edge is where you gained most of your mileage. 

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2021, 08:02:50 AM »
The straight pipe helped, but I think the Edge is where you gained most of your mileage.
I agree.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Matth

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2021, 09:12:05 AM »
I have  a 15 Ram fully deleted that i did myself that is awesome.  It's lifted 2.5 inches sitting on 35 inch tires getting around 21 mpg's on the high way.

Which delete kit did you get? I also have a 15 that I’m about to do. Thinking about the race me tuner.

Sorry about that, haven't looked at this in a bit. MM3 tuner, and generic block off plates, also 4" strait pipe from the turbo back. I think the only thing you need to spend big money on is the tuner. I have done a few of these now for friends and the name brand delete kits that some of them have bought are not of any higher quality than the generic stuff. Since the original delete I have replaced the stock intake horn with a pusher intake, which drastically improved air flow, and am currently waiting on my fleece charger to show up.

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2021, 09:22:16 AM »
The important thing to remember with all of this is that it's illegal to do. It's also illegal for shops to knowingly work on trucks that have had federal emissions equipment tampered with.
It's a resale risk and a trade in risk.
Also after I don't know how many dozen 6.7 Powerstroke trucks I've seen here, I can't think of any DPF's we've replaced on one. A few EGR valves and a few EGR coolers here and there on the early 6.7's. Tampering with a perfectly good truck doesn't always pencil out. You're going to spend a few thousand bucks to save some gas money. How much driving do you have to do to make up the difference? How much driving are you going to do? Yes, you can make some more power, but how much power do you need? Those trucks are very powerful stock from the factory.
Most of the time I see this stuff done, it's done to a lifted 6.7 Super Duty on 24" wheels that will never see a trailer in it's backup camera. The truck is owned by a flat brim wearing bro country listener who lives in Bellevue and will never use(or need) the power the trucks make.
with the real "Phat" tires with 2 inch offset and 1.5" wheel spacers to boot? probably has the tow mirrors out as well
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline Matth

• Longhunter
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2021, 09:33:40 AM »
The important thing to remember with all of this is that it's illegal to do. It's also illegal for shops to knowingly work on trucks that have had federal emissions equipment tampered with.
Also after I don't know how many dozen 6.7 Powerstroke trucks I've seen here, I can't think of any DPF's we've replaced on one. A few EGR valves and a few EGR coolers here and there on the early 6.7's. Tampering with a perfectly good truck doesn't always pencil out. You're going to spend a few thousand bucks to save some gas money. How much driving do you have to do to make up the difference? How much driving are you going to do? Yes, you can make some more power, but how much power do you need? Those trucks are very powerful stock from the factory.
Most of the time I see this stuff done, it's done to a lifted 6.7 Super Duty on 24" wheels that will never see a trailer in it's backup camera. The truck is owned by a flat brim wearing bro country listener who lives in Bellevue and will never use(or need) the power the trucks make.
with the real "Phat" tires with 2 inch offset and 1.5" wheel spacers to boot? probably has the tow mirrors out as well

Nope just a work truck that tows almost every day.

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2021, 09:39:20 AM »

Mine too, I was talking about the guys Jackelope was referring to. IF I delete my 6.7 it'll have to wait about 88K miles, I just switched from a 6 Cyl. 6.7L to a V8 6.7L So far I like the Powerstroke a lot better.
Shane Falco

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2021, 09:46:55 AM »

Mine too, I was talking about the guys Jackelope was referring to. IF I delete my 6.7 it'll have to wait about 88K miles, I just switched from a 6 Cyl. 6.7L to a V8 6.7L So far I like the Powerstroke a lot better.
You dumped the Dodge and bought a Ford? Congrats on the promotion man.  :hello:
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2021, 09:50:02 AM »

You dumped the Dodge and bought a Ford? Congrats on the promotion man.  :hello:
after the 2018 Cummins had the rear main seal replaced a second time, at 34K miles.  I started looking and I missed my old F350 In may I found a F350 Lariet New, and they were doing 0% for 60 months at the time
Shane Falco

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Encore 280
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2021, 09:53:21 AM »
I think it's all just for male anatomy enhancement.  :chuckle: But I do like my 09 F350 Lariat with the 6 sp. manual and egr delete. :tup:

Offline Matth

• Longhunter
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2021, 10:09:05 AM »

All good man. I have both currently in the fleet, and use to have 1 6.6L but we quickly sent it down the road. seemed like we were always working on the front end of it. I like both of the 6.7's , but i will say that it seems like we have to run the powerstrokes harder to get them to preform in a heavy towing applications, but so far they don't seem to mind being pushed, one of them has almost 300k on it.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2021, 12:29:32 PM »
I think folks doing deletes on private rigs won't encounter many enforcement problems. They may get jammed up if they break down where a shop won't work on it. 
One of the reasons I'm keeping my older pre emission dodges is for the commercial use. You don't want to roll over a scale or get a roadside proctology exam by the. Commercial Vehicle Enforment officer with a delete or tuner installed.

My dodge buddies with delete kits love them.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 01:21:53 PM by Special T »
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2021, 01:18:36 PM »
I think it's all just for male anatomy enhancement.  :chuckle: But I do like my 09 F350 Lariat with the 6 sp. manual and egr delete. :tup:

Probably the best use of a delete out of any of the trucks in this thread.
The 6.4 will go a long way like that.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2021, 01:22:16 PM »
We replaced a DPF in a 6.7 the other day. It belonged to a certain aquarium and it carried a saltwater tank on the flatbed. I think they used it to transport fish. I dunno....anyway it leaks saltwater all the time. Saltwater rotted the exhaust pipe all the way through and the DPF fell off on the ground.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Encore 280
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2021, 04:06:59 PM »
Seem's kinda weird to me to pay $50, $60, $70 grand on a truck and not be happy with it then sink a bunch more into it.  :dunno: Way more $$ than I have to throw around. :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal