collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Deer and water sources  (Read 2197 times)

Offline Maybach Outdoors

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Deer and water sources
« on: June 30, 2020, 07:30:54 AM »
Hey guys... I'm a first time hunter so take it easy on my ignorance.

I've been scouting a few areas for the high buck hunt and I was wondering about water sources. I've found a couple of neat spots pretty deep in and away from the trails, but the only water sources I'm seeing are high alpine lakes (you can guess what wilderness  :chuckle:). So dumb question... do mule deer care about standing vs flowing water? Some of the lakes appear to have little creeks and what not that might not be there come September. I think lakes are more likely to be visited by humans even if they are away from trail, so that may be the deciding factor in the end.

Lastly, has anyone patterned deer that don't really frequent water sources often? How much water do they really need (I'm assuming they can get some from vegetation). Will they travel miles and miles to water sources?

Cheers,
M

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
Re: Deer and water sources
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 07:44:23 AM »
There are little seeps and muddy spots all over the map, usually multiple per drainage and deer take what's there. I've seen deer drink from a muddy wallow when there was clear stream water 200' below them.

Water hole hunting generally isn't an effective strategy until you get a LOT farther south than the Washington high hunt. As in multiple states south. I'm sure there are isolated places where guys hunt troughs etc. but if you think you found "The Water Source" in an area of the Cascades, you're likely mistaken  :hello:
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Mtnwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 07:51:27 AM »
 :yeah: IMO the only reason to look for water on the high hunt is for yourself, the deer will have an abundance of sources

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 08:02:04 AM »
They pretty much summed it up. Remember, they live there. They know where everything is.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Maybach Outdoors

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 09:14:40 AM »
Oh damn guess I was totally off haha okay sweet that makes a lot of sense then.

Offline Maybach Outdoors

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 09:15:30 AM »
There are little seeps and muddy spots all over the map, usually multiple per drainage and deer take what's there. I've seen deer drink from a muddy wallow when there was clear stream water 200' below them.

Water hole hunting generally isn't an effective strategy until you get a LOT farther south than the Washington high hunt. As in multiple states south. I'm sure there are isolated places where guys hunt troughs etc. but if you think you found "The Water Source" in an area of the Cascades, you're likely mistaken  :hello:
Thanks!

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 09:18:50 AM »
And yes their forage supplies most if not all of the water they need this time of year.  You might want to research blue tongue,EHD, for another twist on water sources.

Offline Maybach Outdoors

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 09:29:03 AM »
And yes their forage supplies most if not all of the water they need this time of year.  You might want to research blue tongue,EHD, for another twist on water sources.
I'll have to do some research on this. Didn't really know that would be an issue... the more you know the better I guess!

Offline huntingaddiction

• Sasquatch
  • Scout
  • Eat, Sleep, Hunt!
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 01:18:52 PM »
I archery hunt a pretty dry area and every time I stalk a buck I tend to find a spring not far from their bedding area.  Usually water withing a couple hundred yards of where they bed.  Literally will see just a little green on a dry hillside.
A bad day out hunting is better than a good day at work!

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 04:10:33 PM »
I archery hunt a pretty dry area and every time I stalk a buck I tend to find a spring not far from their bedding area.  Usually water withing a couple hundred yards of where they bed.  Literally will see just a little green on a dry hillside.

:yeah:  I am not in as dry of an area but I too noticed that bedding usually isn't too far from a water source. I've found that when deer get up for a mid day walk it is often to a food or water source for a quick bite or sip. In my experience they don't stray very far from that bedding area during the day if there is no pressure.

Offline huntingaddiction

• Sasquatch
  • Scout
  • Eat, Sleep, Hunt!
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 06:11:48 AM »

:yeah:  I am not in as dry of an area but I too noticed that bedding usually isn't too far from a water source. I've found that when deer get up for a mid day walk it is often to a food or water source for a quick bite or sip. In my experience they don't stray very far from that bedding area during the day if there is no pressure.

That archery season is pretty awesome too.  They literally pass out, if you take your time they aren't too hard to get within range of.
A bad day out hunting is better than a good day at work!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]