collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Did you get the survey?

i received the survey and live in northeast washington (101-121)
7 (25.9%)
i received the survey and do not live in northeast washington (101-121)
15 (55.6%)
i did not receive the survey
5 (18.5%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Wdfw survey  (Read 15957 times)

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Wdfw survey
« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2020, 06:57:40 PM »
Look beyond committed.  Look more closely at commitment, as that's what most guys cant make......I may have used the wrong wording, but rethinking, a hunter can be committed while on the other hand be either unwilling or unable to commit the necessary time and effort into usable scouting and preparation for your hunt, and then the hunt may be too short.  I know plenty of guys who suffer this each season.  We used to be able to take our time off and hunt 101 late archery for 1 week and have multiple opportunities.  Now, as some of my friends are finding out, one week probably isn't going to get it done.

Field identification of mature bucks more often comes down to observing body size and attitude.  Next and easiest but often wrong is to base maturity only on antlers.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #91 on: July 08, 2020, 06:57:46 PM »
I liked it because I had read some studies that it helped improve genetics which can lead to a stronger herd overall. They were based on other states but I was fine passing on younger/smaller bucks if it meant a better herd down the road. If it is being discussed purely to improve trophy quality that is fine too but I just want them to be honest about it.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #92 on: July 08, 2020, 07:07:49 PM »
Look beyond committed.  Look more closely at commitment, as that's what most guys cant make......I may have used the wrong wording, but rethinking, a hunter can be committed while on the other hand be either unwilling or unable to commit the necessary time and effort into usable scouting and preparation for your hunt, and then the hunt may be too short.  I know plenty of guys who suffer this each season.  We used to be able to take our time off and hunt 101 late archery for 1 week and have multiple opportunities.  Now, as some of my friends are finding out, one week probably isn't going to get it done.

Field identification of mature bucks more often comes down to observing body size and attitude.  Next and easiest but often wrong is to base maturity only on antlers.

Yes that is where it’s another case of not being able to make everyone happy. I remember plenty of years where my sports commitments only allowed me a weekend or two to hunt and that was skipping games or practice. Now, I am lucky in that i have lots of time to hunt because I don’t have kids but I have plenty of buddies that do. It’s hard for them to even get a weekend a season to hunt.

Offline buckfvr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #93 on: July 08, 2020, 07:28:30 PM »
So apr wont do anything about trophy quality because of genetics, feed or lack of, and things like blue tongue.  It does let the most vulnerable bucks have some escapement but not total escapement.  This gives them an extra year and no promises beyond that. 

Ive been retired for 14 years and live and breath whitetail.  I have been able to spend crazy amounts of time in their woods watching them.  As a result, I have passed more legal bucks than I had killed the previous 20 years.  I mostly passed at first to lengthen my time in the woods, but learned in the mean time, I could always back up and get one of the passed up bucks in the 11th hour if need be.  Cams and an ever watchful eye will tell you if you have a real life time buck.  If you know one is around, its hard to cut a tag on another buck until you have to.  I ate 17s and 18s thinking it would happen at some point only to be beat by his nocturnal habits that were evident from 2013.  Never a picture or sighting in legal shooting light.  As it turned out, 2018 was his best rack, 2019 being his first year down.  2019 was also the first time he dropped his guard and fortunately luck had me there. 

I hunt mature bucks because they are also very interesting in that they all behave a little different, just like people, and they sure don't all get along, just like people.  When you get to the point where you can spend the time, do yourself a favor and learn to pass until you know for a fact your still going to be excited after you walk up on it.  Trophy as in scoring and books and such, not for me......give me good mass and brow tines to go with a Sherman tank body and Im in.   :twocents:

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #94 on: July 08, 2020, 07:39:15 PM »
Who cares why buckfvr wants it or why you think your reason for wanting it is superior? The (positive) result is the same whether any of us want it or not.

We have cold hard evidence of how effective the last APR was. Asking if the effect is on herd health OR trophy quality OR numbers OR genetics is a dumb false choice. Multiple things can be true at once.

Guys like buckfvr don't have trouble finding mature bucks to hunt APR or not.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Buckhunter24

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #95 on: July 08, 2020, 07:59:42 PM »
 :yeah: spot on post

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2020, 08:38:18 PM »
"I get the feeling that whatever he says you will Keep up with the pointless prodding.... the guy cant win."

Jumping on the man because he's after big bucks... I don't get it.

No ones jumping on the guy!!  He throws mud and can’t take it back.  Read the entire post.  He clearly is the whitetail expert and no one else knows anything.  He discredits people (kids specifically) that kill small bucks or does but then says a trophy is in the eye of the beholder.  He belittles others but can’t be belittled.  He has some valid points and is likely a good guy....but he has a few double standards on this post.  So people are just calling bull dung and he doesn’t like it because people don’t agree with him. 

Offline bustedoldman

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
  • TEAM Potbelly Stallions
« Reply #97 on: July 08, 2020, 09:02:15 PM »
"I get the feeling that whatever he says you will Keep up with the pointless prodding.... the guy cant win."

No ones jumping on the guy!!  He throws mud and can’t take it back.  Read the entire post.  He clearly is the whitetail expert and no one else knows anything.  He discredits people (kids specifically) that kill small bucks or does but then says a trophy is in the eye of the beholder.  He belittles others but can’t be belittled.  He has some valid points and is likely a good guy....but he has a few double standards on this post.  So people are just calling bull dung and he doesn’t like it because people don’t agree with him.

Reading this page from start to finish I didn’t see any of that? I know neither of you, but I’m not going to judge you by your words on a forum As they can be misread and misinterpreted. I think every hunter has their own thoughts and expectations of what they want or feel the hunting world should be. The more divided hunters become the less opportunity there will be for all!

Offline hunter399

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2020, 06:22:50 AM »
Who cares why buckfvr wants it or why you think your reason for wanting it is superior? The (positive) result is the same whether any of us want it or not.

We have cold hard evidence of how effective the last APR was. Asking if the effect is on herd health OR trophy quality OR numbers OR genetics is a dumb false choice. Multiple things can be true at once.

Guys like buckfvr don't have trouble finding mature bucks to hunt APR or not.
I AGREE
The goal is same across the board.
Some spikes have to be left to walk.
The numbers don't lie more mature deer was harvested in 2014 then any buck harvest numbers now ,which paints a pretty crapy picture of the shape of our deer herds are in.

Now why would I put a 4pt restriction ,have a significant drop in harvest rates .Then have WDFW turn late season into a permit only hunt or shorten the season.The questions on the survey about permits and season length was beyond me BS I say.

There was Alot of talk about predator management early on in this thread.And YES I do agree we are knee deep in them here.
But I wouldn't expect huge changes.
Predator/prey study is going to take awhile ,the same people that do these study's are not pro-hunting type of people.
Bear Hunting we have the two tags I would enjoy them and utilize them ,I have heard that they where not expecting harvest rates to double  like they have .And we should enjoy that option for as long as we can.

Cougar hunting I have heard many things about .But one thing I know is I wouldn't expect harvest rates to change much .seasons and quotas may change but harvest rates may go up one year and down the next to acomadate what WDFW want harvest rates to be.

Cougar+wolves management in this state is a lost cause (just my opinion).
A APR in the ne corner is a instant game changer to better deer herd management.
With maybe some opportunities for youth at least.
Let's paint a picture.
Father+son go hunting ne corner
Son can shoot any buck-father 4pt min
Son harvest spike
Father ends up seeing a few buck but nothing with 4pt.
Meat goes in the freezer,a few bucks walk for the next youth hunter or the next season.
It's a win -win I say meat went in the freezer,conservation of our herds ,and a good hunt to place .
Now I know every picture or opinion of a good hunt is different .But my favorite part is the conservation part.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 06:35:49 AM by hunter399 »
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline buckfvr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2020, 08:08:45 AM »

Spin your yarns, interpret my posts to suite your anger, I dont care and could care less if ANYONE agrees with me.  You sling all the mud you want, it seems to make you feel better.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2020, 08:42:26 AM »
You don't have to take my word for 18mo 4x, theres plenty of others on here and elsewhere who know their deer. For a significant number of us, youth killing doe and any buck is the same as a participation trophy for sports, only since the kid went hunting, he/she gets to kill something. Don't miss read my feelings as unsupportive of youth as that is the only alternative option I do support......the youth hunt.

I believe this is the statement that started the back and forth. It could have been misinterpreted or misconstrued on either side  :twocents:

Offline buckfvr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2020, 09:50:02 AM »
Oh ya, it does offend some but on the other hand I know lots of guys who see it that way.  Its a perspective not an accusation of wrong doing.   

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2020, 09:56:09 AM »
Oh ya, it does offend some but on the other hand I know lots of guys who see it that way.  Its a perspective not an accusation of wrong doing.

I think that pretty much sums it up. We all have different perspectives and motives and that is why implementing new rules and regs will almost never please everyone.

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2020, 12:32:10 PM »

I think that pretty much sums it up. We all have different perspectives and motives and that is why implementing new rules and regs will almost never please everyone.

It would be easier if the WDFW was looking at eliminating the predators vs making more rules that limit hunting. All they have to do to fix this is eliminated the wolves and save 3000 deer a year. Pretty sure that would fix the deer shortage. If not they could allow more cougar quotas with longer seasons as they are,  by far, the biggest factor in deer management. Instead they believe that they have to lessen the hunting experience to fix any problem. Pretty clear who they represent and it ain't us.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2020, 12:51:12 PM »
They just did increase some cougar quotas, and will likely add more changes there this fall.  They also increased bear hunting opportunity.  But we cant manage just predators or just deer and expect to fix the problem, it needs to be both, and the apr/ no antlerless is part of that.  Either way, they can give us all the predator management tools we need and it wont mean jack if people dont actually go out there and actively hunt predators, which the vast majority of deer snd elk hunters dont.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]