collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What to do with cape  (Read 3425 times)

Offline duckman18

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Tracker
What to do with cape
« on: July 07, 2020, 02:58:25 PM »
Hi I hunt  about 3 to 4 hours north of Boise every year and live in Olympia Washington what does everybody do when they get a deer down that they want to have mounted but you’re not going home for3-7 days? If you cape it out how long will it stay in cooler? Usually freezes every night highs of 40-45 during the day most years

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
Re: What to do with cape
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 03:00:19 PM »
Not sure if its correct but I have carefully rolled the cape up and it stayed just fine for a week in the back country
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline duckman18

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 03:08:31 PM »
Not sure if its correct but I have carefully rolled the cape up and it stayed just fine for a week in the back country
That’s my plan if I kill something on the last day or two we did that two years ago my main concern is if you kill something on the first day and you have seven more days of hunting before everybody goes home what to do hopefully you can just do like you said and keep it dry put it in a bag and keep it on ice

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 03:09:57 PM »
That’s my plan if I kill something on the last day or two we did that two years ago my main concern is if you kill something on the first day and you have seven more days of hunting before everybody goes home what to do hopefully you can just do like you said and keep it dry put it in a bag and keep it on ice

Make sure you do NOT put it in a plastic bag.   If you do, it's a goner.
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 03:30:20 PM »

I have had them out 5 or more days. I just made sure to roll them up hair side out and kept them in a shady spot. Don't put them in a bag

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 04:01:02 PM »

I have had them out 5 or more days. I just made sure to roll them up hair side out and kept them in a shady spot. Don't put them in a bag
:yeah: And make sure they are cool before you roll them.  Hang them out all night in cool temps, roll them in the morning and then put them in a cool spot for the rest of the trip.

No plastic bag.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 04:03:32 PM »

:yeah: And make sure they are cool before you roll them.  Hang them out all night in cool temps, roll them in the morning and then put them in a cool spot for the rest of the trip.

No plastic bag.

The one in my avatar actually spent 7 days from the morning I killed him until we got home and it got warm during the day.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 04:04:35 PM »

No plastic bag.

The one in my avatar actually spent 7 days from the morning I killed him until we got home and it got warm during the day.
Did you completely cape it out?  Take it all off the skull?

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 04:08:59 PM »

No plastic bag.

We didn't. At that time I didn't trust myself to do it without messing something up  :yike:

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2020, 04:18:23 PM »

No plastic bag.

We didn't. At that time I didn't trust myself to do it without messing something up  :yike:
Very lucky but understandable.

If you are going to leave it on the skull I would make sure to split the cape all the way up the back of the neck as far as you can and get as much of the heat from the head dissipated over night.

Offline duckman18

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2020, 04:26:12 PM »
Thanks guys If it starts getting warm out during the day would you put it in a cooler and just make sure it’s not getting wet and stays dry or would you still leave it out

Online Born2late

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2020, 05:29:34 PM »
If it was me and it was freezing at night, I would lay it out the first night to let it freeze flesh side out. Then wait till it thaws enough to roll without damaging the hair and put it in the cooler. Not letting it get wet. I would also open the mouth to let heat escape out of the throat.
I personally skin them off the skull so you don't have the heat from the skull to deal with.
If you not sure of yourself on doing that,Practice on every small buck or even does till you get good enough to do it.It's actually not to hard once you've done a couple and know where to pay close attention to.

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2020, 07:04:57 PM »
You can do like everyone said but pack with dry ice. Will hold pretty well for awhile. Ask your taxi what he recommends. He will have the best advice for you

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2020, 08:27:14 PM »
Our taxi said to keep it absolutely dry and cold.  We had the cape and attached skull in a cooler for 4 days and it turned out perfect.  I did pull it out on day 2 to let it dry a bit and drain the water out of the cooler and leave just ice.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2020, 08:43:28 PM »
We’ve done this a number of times- trim as much meat off head as possible, let head cool.   Put in plastic garbage sack , tape around base of antlers.   Put in big black/yellow 27 gal home depot tub.   Throw in bags of ice.  Cut antler spots on lid so it fits.   Put in shade, Add ice every couple days.

Treat it like a fine piece of steak.   Keep dry and refrigerated.  Good for a week. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]