collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cold weather gear  (Read 1653 times)

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Cold weather gear
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2020, 10:02:20 AM »
Last year in Montana the truck said 24 below and there was 3 feet of snow, and I got out.  Here is what I wore, no problems other than I had to keep gloves on, they were instantly cold if I took my gloves off for any time.

1000 gram boots.  I put a toe warmer on the top of the toe box portion, not on the sole, it will stick right to the top of the boot and you won't know its there. (never was cold in them)
Smart wool hunter weight socks
UA long john type pants
Big Bill Wool Pants, I believe they are either 22oz or 24oz, whichever is thicker.
Smart wool light weight t shirt
Smart wool light weight sweater.  (more like a light weight long sleeve t shirt that has a 1/4 zipper on the front)
Army surplus Wool shirt.  Green, button up, it's more like a shirt/jac.  Most of the time this is all that I need to wear on top.
Filson Mackinaw Cruiser.
Fleece Cabelas hunter orange vest that you can almost see through now.
Gloves are a bow hunting mitten where the top comes off and then it is fingerless.  There is also a pocket in the mitten part for a hand warmer, I put one hand warmer in the mitten part.
Part orange ball cap that says Remington and has old blood stain's all over it. 

I was in deer all day long, stayed out all daylong, was on my belly throughout the day and had a Mexican standoff with a spectacular buck that had broke off a tine, I thought about it a long time but passed.

There you go, first hand info on the coldest day i have ever been out in.     

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal