collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: whitetail survey  (Read 4539 times)

Offline Seabass

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: whitetail survey
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2020, 10:33:06 AM »
Four point restriction for all whitetail bucks (3 points with eye guards 1 inch or larger) and all late season hunts are 4 point only through the draw.  My two cents.  Probably not worth much!!! :twocents:

On a personal level, I would be screwed if they kill the late season. I am an archery hunter BUT I also coach High School football. I simply can't hunt in September. My ONLY option is the late season. That 20 day late archery season is the only thing standing between me and mental health issues. :)

Offline Buckhunter24

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2020, 10:37:30 AM »
Four point restriction for all whitetail bucks (3 points with eye guards 1 inch or larger) and all late season hunts are 4 point only through the draw.  My two cents.  Probably not worth much!!! :twocents:

Make late whitetail draw only? I think a lot of people that don't draw would then pressure other units probably. How many tags?

Offline Rutnbuxnbulls

• Scout
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2020, 12:35:56 PM »
Sounds like Shaniqua needs to learn how to populate mass emails more effectively

Which Shaniqua are you referring to, Jones or Johnson?  ;)

I'm all for the point restrictions in those GMU's.  Although I don't hunt there every season, I did back in 2014 and it was awesome the number of more mature bucks we saw in a short amount of time.  I'm not into killing does so I tend to lean toward more stringent regs for <65 and Youth hunters, no special permits for antlerless, 4 pt min for all hunters, maybe just give the young, old, and disabled a few days before each season to get it done.  It seems like across the board there's a general consensus that the whitetail population has declined, at least since the blue tongue outbreak, I think it was 2015.  Seems like it was terrible timing for the wdfw to reduce the APR when the drought killed off a considerable amount of the herd.  It hasn't fully recovered since then.

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2020, 12:42:03 PM »

Make late whitetail draw only? I think a lot of people that don't draw would then pressure other units probably. How many tags?

Yeah, draw only would increase pressure elsewhere.  Think 204 and 124 especially.  Me, i just wouldnt buy a deer tag in this state at all if the northeast late whitetail went draw only.  Washington would be predator hunting only for me at that point.

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2020, 01:28:50 PM »

On a personal level, I would be screwed if they kill the late season. I am an archery hunter BUT I also coach High School football. I simply can't hunt in September. My ONLY option is the late season. That 20 day late archery season is the only thing standing between me and mental health issues. :)

Sorry, I was thinking rifle only.  I totally agree with a late bow hunt.
Zonk Volmer

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2020, 01:38:00 PM »
I personally dont think that permit only is necessary at this point. I say start with the apr for a few years and look at the results. Last time the results were very clear.

If the population warrants more intervention down the road then look at it later.  :twocents:

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2020, 05:20:12 PM »
I personally dont think that permit only is necessary at this point. I say start with the apr for a few years and look at the results. Last time the results were very clear.

If the population warrants more intervention down the road then look at it later.  :twocents:

:yeah: :yeah:

Absolutely no reason in the whole wide world to eliminate or draw permits for the late whitetail general season.

Offline msg

• Hunter
    • NA
  • Groups: NA
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2020, 08:53:55 PM »
As members of this site haggle over point restrictions, draw permits, what should be OIL. There is a much darker cloud on the horizon. Defenders of Wildlife use Facebook to promote  apex predators. They target little old ladies all over the US and world that wolves are being slaughtered to extinction. They sell fluffy wolf socks and blankets along with flowery music while asking for monetary donations to stop the slaughter. That money is used for litigation to stop game departments from managing for all wildlife,especially ungulates .This propaganda machine has been used since the Canadian Gray wolves were introduced. The vocal crowd speaks the loudest.Get connected and speak up!

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2020, 09:26:04 PM »
But this is a thread about a survey about APRs  :hello:

Promise you this forum spends some time complaining about wolves. But this is Washington and not much will ever be done on that end
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Birdsandfish

• Pilgrim
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2020, 09:34:34 PM »
I hope the 4pt rule comes back. It made a huge difference. The whitetail herd is really struggling. It’s worse than it was before they first put that restriction.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2020, 05:46:32 AM »

:yeah: :yeah:

Absolutely no reason in the whole wide world to eliminate or draw permits for the late whitetail general season.
:yeah:
No need for permits,or antlerless harvest.
If anything they should be adding a few days to the season knowing harvest rates will drop.With a 4pt APR.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline msg

• Hunter
    • NA
  • Groups: NA
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2020, 07:22:09 PM »
Sorry Jonathon, I got off on the wrong thread. I fully support the return of the 4pt restriction for the health of the herd and a better experience for all. However I have hunted with people for years that have attitudes like you. The we can't crowd.The post from Bearpaw last night about the Sportman's Alliance in Alaska proved otherwise. There are anti groups that are well funded that would like to eliminate the debate on point restrictions by eliminating viable hunting populations. We as hunters have to also be well funded and connected or it will go away. JMO!

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2020, 10:55:19 PM »
"the we can't crowd"? Okay  :dunno:

Glad to hear you're on board with whitetail APRs, I believe we can bring that back.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2020, 05:44:38 AM »
WDFW better hope they put the 4pt min on.
I will shoot any dink buck ,the first buck I see under the any buck rules .The past few years I have let a few walk ,even ate tag soup a few years ago.If they want to manage our herds for babies ,then I will harvest babies.I will not let dink spikes walk to have another hunter kill it the next day and have meat while I have nothing.

District 1
Is the most hunted,most harvested,highest amount of predators and a cash cow for our state when it comes to hunting.If they can't protect our resources,then I will just harvest babies like they want me too.
If you can't beat em then join em I say.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Jimmy33

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2020, 05:30:07 AM »
The state needs to go to selling a blacktail tag, mule deer tag, or whitetail tag. Make people choose what they are going to hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal