collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hood Canal spot shrimp!  (Read 909 times)

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
Hood Canal spot shrimp!
« on: July 22, 2020, 05:56:58 AM »
Dont know if any of you that were planning on going next Tuesday saw this so thought I would post a heads up.
 I am calling BS on the reasoning for closing the last day. 1 major ramp has been closed for the whole season and the ramp I usually launch at has had much smaller than average use. Last opening there were only 20 boats at the ramp. I may be a conspiracy theorist but I think its because of the Covid crap and they just dont want to come out and say it.

Marine Area 12 - Hood Canal
All-shrimp season: Closed
Season/Open Days and Times:
All shrimp (including spot shrimp) fishery was open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on June 11, 15, 26, 28 and July 15.
**UPDATE July 21: The target share has been reached and the previously scheduled opening for July 28 has been cancelled.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
Re: Hood Canal spot shrimp!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 06:23:45 AM »
I actually can believe it for once... we've had a fair amount of shrimp days this year. Participation has been steady and the last opener the canal was packed from my vantage point.

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 07:42:04 AM »
The pressure was pretty light on the last opener, not 100% sure how they figure the amount we caught. I guess we should feel lucky they gave us a decent heads up instead of the day before.

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 07:43:24 AM »
Dont know if any of you that were planning on going next Tuesday saw this so thought I would post a heads up.
 I am calling BS on the reasoning for closing the last day. 1 major ramp has been closed for the whole season and the ramp I usually launch at has had much smaller than average use. Last opening there were only 20 boats at the ramp. I may be a conspiracy theorist but I think its because of the Covid crap and they just dont want to come out and say it.

Marine Area 12 - Hood Canal
All-shrimp season: Closed
Season/Open Days and Times:
All shrimp (including spot shrimp) fishery was open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on June 11, 15, 26, 28 and July 15.
**UPDATE July 21: The target share has been reached and the previously scheduled opening for July 28 has been cancelled.
They don't use ramp counts. It's the same fly over model there've used in the past. That and creel counts. Participation has been up in many of not most fisheries.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 07:50:41 AM »
I have the same conspiracy theory in 8-2.  This year it was open for one day, midweek and then closed.  Last year it was open Saturday and Wednesday and by the logic there were more people this year midweek than there were last year on a weekend AND midweek.

I think WDFW was told to shut down big drawing seasons regardless of if there was any distancing issues or not.

Aerial flights showed 700 shrimp boats in Areas 8-1 and 8-2 (east side of Whidbey Island), which is a good weekday turnout.

Note it says good weekday turnout, not good for a weekend and certainly not as good as a weekend and weekday combined.

Same with hood canal, pressure was down on the opener this year due to scheduling:

In Hood Canal (12) aerial counts were down with about 1,049 boats counted compared to a normal year would be closer to 1,400 to 1,500.

So, if the pressure was down and the quota was the same, how did we burn it up so much faster?  Like always, WDFW remains silent.  Zero accountability or transparency.

Offline ryanfam

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 12:39:27 PM »
Those Sons A Bitches. I was already doing the numbers :bash:

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 12:42:55 PM »
I'm actually considering a FOI request, if for no other reason then to figure out how they calculate harvest and where we were with the quota.  It would really be nice if they posted some basic info like the harvest calculation for each day and how much is left.  Right now, it's like a parent telling their kid they have had "enough" candy.  Our only hope at transparency is for Yuasa to work his contacts and put it out in his blog.

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 01:18:06 PM »

So, if the pressure was down and the quota was the same, how did we burn it up so much faster? 

Only one other variable, how many shrimp did each person catch?  I think the release said 68% got their limit this year, compared to 43% last year. 

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal