collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How much ammo?  (Read 4137 times)

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: How much ammo?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2020, 09:23:22 AM »
No matter how much you over analyze this question the answer remains the same... at least one more box.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2020, 07:08:44 PM »
I have put thought into this question and concluded that I didn't need to store a lot of shotgun or handgun ammo. 

In an apocalyptic situation do you really want to get into multiple combat situations with a shotgun or handgun? You will probably get shot before you use it all.

I think it makes more sense to have a lot of 223 or whatever your semi auto takes. I just don't see going for a shotgun when you have a semi auto. If society fell apart and you went hunting you would probably still take the semi auto most of the time.

Now with that said I will buy ammo when it is on sale knowing that I can always trade or sell it later if ammo prices go up.

I also don't get storing tons of 22lr. I don't plan on eating that much squirrel.

Offline elkaholic123

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Montana Dirty Dozen,Life member RMEF,NAHC, WSF
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2020, 07:15:03 PM »
I think some of you guys need therapy! 😂
elkaholic

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2020, 07:17:53 PM »
I have put thought into this question and concluded that I didn't need to store a lot of shotgun or handgun ammo. 

In an apocalyptic situation do you really want to get into multiple combat situations with a shotgun or handgun? You will probably get shot before you use it all.

I think it makes more sense to have a lot of 223 or whatever your semi auto takes. I just don't see going for a shotgun when you have a semi auto. If society fell apart and you went hunting you would probably still take the semi auto most of the time.

Now with that said I will buy ammo when it is on sale knowing that I can always trade or sell it later if ammo prices go up.

I also don't get storing tons of 22lr. I don't plan on eating that much squirrel.

I personally think any time you can buy ammo less than or = you can reload for you should stock up. As far as shotgun ammo... I purchased 00 buck shot for 35c a round new. I could have sold it for $1.50 a round recently. In a time of social unreast how valuable do you think it would be? For your neighbor that owns a shotgun that may help police the neighborhood... Do you think providing him 10-20 rounds would be a good idea? Shotguns and 22lr are probably the 2 most common guns owned across America. Even if you think they are dumb to have if you purchased on a deal you might just have the trading capitol you need.  :twocents:
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2020, 09:07:11 PM »
I think some of you guys need therapy! 😂

That's what reloading is for.

:dunno:

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2020, 10:25:16 PM »

Depending on the situation, my shotgun with buckshot or slugs is definitely my top 1 or 2 weapons I'd grab.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2020, 09:14:42 AM »

I personally think any time you can buy ammo less than or = you can reload for you should stock up. As far as shotgun ammo... I purchased 00 buck shot for 35c a round new. I could have sold it for $1.50 a round recently. In a time of social unreast how valuable do you think it would be? For your neighbor that owns a shotgun that may help police the neighborhood... Do you think providing him 10-20 rounds would be a good idea? Shotguns and 22lr are probably the 2 most common guns owned across America. Even if you think they are dumb to have if you purchased on a deal you might just have the trading capitol you need.  :twocents:

Yea I said I am good with buying it on sale to possibly trade if needed. I recently sold some buckshot as well.

But my point is that I think it is more important to focus on AK/AR ammo. I love my shotguns but in an apocalypse situation I wouldn't leave the house with one. The problem is that if the bad guy has a semi auto then you are in big trouble. Once you get out to 75 yards the buckshot pattern is terrible and your reload time is awful compared to an AR.

Hunting rules would go out the window. So if you have 500 rounds of 3006 I don't think it matters because you wouldn't want to walk around with a bolt action less you run into a zombie. Makes more sense to take the AR every time.

The handgun would just be there for backup. If you had to go for a backup enough times you would eventually lose. So stockpile for practice? I suppose but in an apocalypse situation you probably would have bigger issues than range practice.

That is my take on it anyways.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2020, 09:19:07 AM »
That is reasonable for rural.  In dense metros with mobs, the shotgun spread may be to your advantage in certain instances.

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2020, 09:24:21 AM »
I also quit buying .22 ammo. I stocked up heavily before the Hilary scare so I have a decent stash, but I have not shot one round of .22 since my boys were young, well over 10 years.
I concentrate mostly on .223/556, and .40 cal.
Throw in a few other rifle calibers and a few pistol calibers when I see a decent deal.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2020, 09:25:10 AM »

Yea I said I am good with buying it on sale to possibly trade if needed. I recently sold some buckshot as well.

But my point is that I think it is more important to focus on AK/AR ammo. I love my shotguns but in an apocalypse situation I wouldn't leave the house with one. The problem is that if the bad guy has a semi auto then you are in big trouble. Once you get out to 75 yards the buckshot pattern is terrible and your reload time is awful compared to an AR.

Hunting rules would go out the window. So if you have 500 rounds of 3006 I don't think it matters because you wouldn't want to walk around with a bolt action less you run into a zombie. Makes more sense to take the AR every time.

The handgun would just be there for backup. If you had to go for a backup enough times you would eventually lose. So stockpile for practice? I suppose but in an apocalypse situation you probably would have bigger issues than range practice.

That is my take on it anyways.
I gotcha. I would agree for personal use with your assesment. Where i split off is that  if things got that stupid you would need to band together with friends and neighbors. I personally would much rather give my neighbor a bunch of buckshot  to help keep the peach than one of my rifles AND the ammo to go with it. 

Some might have some romantic ideas of lone wolfing it around, but that is just problematic.  If you want to go down the rabbit hole read One Second After. THE Walking dead series i think shows how in times of turmoil how much we would need friends organized for mutual protection.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2020, 10:08:36 AM »
I gotcha. I would agree for personal use with your assesment. Where i split off is that  if things got that stupid you would need to band together with friends and neighbors. I personally would much rather give my neighbor a bunch of buckshot  to help keep the peach than one of my rifles AND the ammo to go with it. 

Some might have some romantic ideas of lone wolfing it around, but that is just problematic.  If you want to go down the rabbit hole read One Second After. THE Walking dead series i think shows how in times of turmoil how much we would need friends organized for mutual protection.

I think you make a good point about having ammo for neighbors. My neighbor only has a muzzleloader so I would be loaning him quite a bit. I would probably end up being the rambo of the neighborhood regardless.

But if I had limited resources say 1k for ammo I think it makes sense to go heavy on AR/AK and just hunt with that. Maybe get some buckshot and handgun ammo but not a huge amount.

I also agree with flounderz about rural vs urban. Being in an urban area would certainly change things, especially if you planned on getting out right away. If I lived in am urban apartment I would definitely keep a combat shotgun.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2020, 10:12:09 AM »
One second after is a great book
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2020, 10:28:35 AM »

I think its scary as hell!

Confucius

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2020, 12:17:53 PM »

I’d be worried if you didn’t feel that way.   Still I highly recommend it.  Very eye opening
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2020, 12:39:38 PM »

I’d be worried if you didn’t feel that way.   Still I highly recommend it.  Very eye opening

Im happy I dont live on the east coast, but I dont feel real good about being an hour from Seattle.

Confucius

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw