collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ask the Biologist...  (Read 2858 times)

Offline GASoline71

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/gary.strassburg.7?ref=bookmarks
  • Groups: Conservation Coalition of Washington, ABF WA Chapter, F4WM, WWC
Ask the Biologist...
« on: July 15, 2020, 08:22:54 PM »
So I read or listen to hunters say they've "asked the region biologist", or told another hunter to "get a hold of the biologist in your region".  I've been hunting a long time and have never done this.  Appears I might be missing out on good info.  We are planning on moving to a completely different region in WA for elk season in 2021.  Would like to ask some questions to the biologist of the region and not sound like a tool.

I really don't wanna lead in with, "Soooo, umm, like, where's the elk at?"  :chuckle: What are some good questions a cat can ask?  Ask about winter vs. summer range?  Ask about winter kill and predation in the area?  Food/water sources?  If I could ask you'se cats that have called or emailed a region biologist for some tips on what questions or topics to discuss?

I really dig this forum, been hunting in this state since 1976.  :)

Gary
One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job. ~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
Re: Ask the Biologist...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 08:35:37 PM »
More along the lines of was the fawn survival higher/lower, average age of deer/elk, bull/cow ratios increasing or decreasing, is predator take declining or increasing in area X, has the habitat project on the creek seeing any good results (there have been meadows made for elk to entice them to the mountains, but they preferred to stay in the farms).

Offline elksnout

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 08:50:48 PM »
We've done Oregon, Idaho and now Colorado this coming fall. Write down a list of questions to ask during your call. My biggest bit of advice I'll pass on to you is to do your homework before making that call. They are busy people. Study maps ,etc. So you can make intelligent and thoughtful questions. By our experience the bio's are much more likely to help someone who's done their due diligence rather than asking random questions.

Elksnout.

Can't we all just get along?

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 10:50:04 AM »
We've done Oregon, Idaho and now Colorado this coming fall. Write down a list of questions to ask during your call. My biggest bit of advice I'll pass on to you is to do your homework before making that call. They are busy people. Study maps ,etc. So you can make intelligent and thoughtful questions. By our experience the bio's are much more likely to help someone who's done their due diligence rather than asking random questions.

Elksnout.

:yeah:... and remember, they field many calls from hunters every year. IMO you'll get general / form letter advice, but prolly not honeyhole advice.
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline ridgefire

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 02:34:26 PM »
I have spoken with the biologist many times and the majority of the time they are a great resource. I ask questions about specific drainages in the unit I intend to hunt. Where do the elk tend to summer, what elevations do they tend to rut at, what do they tend to do once they start feeling hunter pressure. The more specific you are with your question the more specific they are with their answers. I just talked to a biologist in Idaho yesterday about some back up areas in case of fires or heavy hunting pressure and now confident in plans b and c. Good luck.

Offline GASoline71

• Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/gary.strassburg.7?ref=bookmarks
  • Groups: Conservation Coalition of Washington, ABF WA Chapter, F4WM, WWC
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 10:53:04 AM »
Thank you guys for the tips! I have been amassing a few questions to ask, but not brow beat the poor soul with too many.

Some very helpful advice here. :)

Gary
One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job. ~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 10:57:05 AM »
All depends on the bio you talk to. Some are great guys/gals who are a bunch of help. Others are liberal anti hunters who would love to see "their" animals survive your season. Keep that in mind. :twocents:

Offline hawks33

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 11:39:29 AM »
I've spoke to a half dozen or so. I've had mixed luck. Be prepared with your questions...for example, wheres a good area to get away from people? Most of the biologists were relatively new to their areas, but overall, I've had a good experience with all I've talked too. Good luck!

Offline riflehunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 06:58:56 AM »
Do you find the Biologist numbers on the WDFW website? If not where are they located at?

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 07:08:14 AM »
Honestly, I don't know that WA biologist know that much about elk these days. 10-15 years ago maybe. Ive found that out of State bios are much more tuned in to their big game than Washington guys are. Your best bet for general Intel is the forum. Or spend a weekend in the unit and then come back with some questions. I'm not trying to deter you from making the call but the answers you get are going to be boiler plate stuff.  :twocents:

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2020, 07:45:23 AM »
I wouldn’t waste  time with WA biologists. I’ve found one that was helpful out of five or six I’ve called. Game wardens have been much more helpful for me, especially when it relates to pressure or predators in areas you’re focusing on.

Offline stw

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2020, 08:37:54 AM »
Left a few messages to one in the area I'm going to hunt for a special draw tag no call  so called a few others no call back over the past 2 weeks I'll call again today if I don't hear anything then calling main office

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2020, 08:51:11 AM »
I had a decent conversation with one, a very helpful conversation with another one for a youth tag. and the other times I couldn't get through and quit after about 50 tries.

The one thing I have noticed is that they have some info on where some elk get shot and it can easily get overstated.  If they heard about an elk shot at xyz, that can turn into "they really get into them over there."  I think people are probably unlikely to tell the bio where they shoot their animals and if they aren't the kind of bio that has boots on the ground during hunting season then the information can be not so helpful.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]