collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Difference between cheap Winchester shells and Black Cloud on the inside of thes  (Read 3940 times)

Offline Everydaylimits

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Check out this video to see the difference between the Winchester shells and Black cloud. What shells do you prefer?

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
Two things he didn't address 1) what was the black coating on the Winchester pellets?  I assume Winchester (or whoever made them for Winchester) applied a coating to make the pellets appear black.  2)how well are the cases sealed in case the ammo gets dunked in water.  Don't want the pellets rusting or clumping together if the end of the case isn't sealed.

Offline metlhead

• Sourdough
I'm gonna assume that 3.5" #2s, we are talking a goose load. Both have irregular shot so they are very similar. BC is by no means premium, just gimmicky. But they do work, no better than regular steel. I'd jump ahead to actual premium tungsten.

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
Neither. 

Black Cloud is a gimmick.  The belt you see on Black Cloud is on all steel shot when it's stamped.  To get round shot it takes more finishing.

Winchester markets some of the cheapest and crappiest steel on the shelves.  Quality shot costs more.  The "black soot" is graphite.  Probably added to make those pellets with Kling-Ons feed through the loading equipment.

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
No mention of powder either. I've had issues with Winchester gunking up my guns from powder residue.  :dunno:

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
As someone who has shot A LOT of Black Cloud, I can tell you this.  It has had more one shot kills for me than any other STEEL shot has on the market.  I've tried them all.  No it isn't going to have the killing range and knockdown power of your super metals, but in my observations it is no gimmick.  I don't get to waterfowl hunt near as much as I used to, but when I do get out I shoot Black Cloud shells.  FYI, I have no affiliation with them, just a fan from experience. By no means am I saying that you can't go and kill birds dead with Kent or Winchester or Estate, or whatever else brand you find on the shelves.  Good hunting.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
As someone who has shot A LOT of Black Cloud, I can tell you this.  It has had more one shot kills for me than any other STEEL shot has on the market.  I've tried them all.  No it isn't going to have the killing range and knockdown power of your super metals, but in my observations it is no gimmick.  I don't get to waterfowl hunt near as much as I used to, but when I do get out I shoot Black Cloud shells.  FYI, I have no affiliation with them, just a fan from experience. By no means am I saying that you can't go and kill birds dead with Kent or Winchester or Estate, or whatever else brand you find on the shelves.  Good hunting.

That's good to know.     :tup:

I've been getting back into waterfowl hunting the last couple years.

I don't mind paying more if it actually makes a difference.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
I've had better luck with Blind Side over Black Cloud. Have seen where the Blind Side wads stick in the barrel (twice). Bought a case of Black Cloud by the time I got home the box was rattling, four of the boxes (25) were over crimped and all the shot fell out. It took almost a year to get any action from Federal. I do just as well with Winchester White box or Federal Blue box shells.  :twocents:
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
I've had better luck with Blind Side over Black Cloud. Have seen where the Blind Side wads stick in the barrel (twice). Bought a case of Black Cloud by the time I got home the box was rattling, four of the boxes (25) were over crimped and all the shot fell out. It took almost a year to get any action from Federal. I do just as well with Winchester White box or Federal Blue box shells.  :twocents:
Strange on the crimps and the shot falling out.  I've gone through probably 27-30 cases of Black Cloud in both 3" & 3 1/2" #2 and BB combined and never had an issue like that.

Offline metlhead

• Sourdough
Question to the OP, are you seeking a gun/load combo for waterfowling? If so, let us know some background- experience, region hunted. Many years of bird hunting experience on this site that can really get you dialed in. For instance, I hunt an expansive piece of public land that requires a boat for the best spots. I've been able to pattern the birds over 30 years. All my shooting is less than 25yds, so my cheap Estate 20ga #4s will hammer anything I shoot.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
I'm going to agree with fowl smacker.

I don't think it is a gimmick. I can get a 60 yard pattern with Black Cloud which is what they advertise.

I'd be fine shooting turkeys with it.

The real difference is in the flight control wad.

For close up I'd use something that costs less. But I never pay full price anyways. Easy to find it on sale off season.

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
The Flite Stopper wad is no gimmick.  It keeps the shot together much further than a conventional wad.  Have any of you guys put those Flite Control wads on paper at 20 yards?

I just came in from killing a coyote with 12 gauge Federal Flite Control wads and HW15 BB's.  Laser range finder confirmed the distance at 111 yards.  I know that's not normal shotgun range.  However it is my home defense setup and thus was at hand when the booger ran across the back yard while I was getting out of the shower.

If you are happy with Black Cloud  :tup:   IMHO it is marketing genius to sell unfinished shot at a premium price.  If it takes a super dupper wad to keep that inferior shot to stay together,  :dunno:.  Same thing can be done with some nice round #1 steel in a Federal economy blue box.   

Offline Backstrap

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
The Flite Stopper wad is no gimmick.  It keeps the shot together much further than a conventional wad.  Have any of you guys put those Flite Control wads on paper at 20 yards?

I just came in from killing a coyote with 12 gauge Federal Flite Control wads and HW15 BB's.  Laser range finder confirmed the distance at 111 yards.  I know that's not normal shotgun range.  However it is my home defense setup and thus was at hand when the booger ran across the back yard while I was getting out of the shower.

If you are happy with Black Cloud  :tup:   IMHO it is marketing genius to sell unfinished shot at a premium price.  If it takes a super dupper wad to keep that inferior shot to stay together,  :dunno:.  Same thing can be done with some nice round #1 steel in a Federal economy blue box.

Damn! Nice shot on the coyote!!
Step once, look twice...

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
I've kinda always been a Federal or a Remington waterfowl ammo guy. I've shot a lot of Winchester, but seem to only buy Winchester if its all that's available. I cut open a dud Winchester shell last year and the steel shot was ALL different sizes and not round. Wish I had taken a picture as it really confirmed why I pick the Winchester steel last. Also, It was a dud due to it being ran through the washing machine, not Winchesters fault.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Question to the OP, are you seeking a gun/load combo for waterfowling? If so, let us know some background- experience, region hunted. Many years of bird hunting experience on this site that can really get you dialed in. For instance, I hunt an expansive piece of public land that requires a boat for the best spots. I've been able to pattern the birds over 30 years. All my shooting is less than 25yds, so my cheap Estate 20ga #4s will hammer anything I shoot.

OP looks to be posting to promote his YouTube channel, he is from Michigan.  10 posts and most were his YouTube videos.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]