collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Difference between cheap Winchester shells and Black Cloud on the inside of thes  (Read 3944 times)

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
    • RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
I have 4 to 7 shooters to outfit at any given time... off season clearance at $5 per box keeps the shelves loaded with Super X, even though I know the premiums are better made ammo.
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline Firstbuck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Question to the OP, are you seeking a gun/load combo for waterfowling? If so, let us know some background- experience, region hunted. Many years of bird hunting experience on this site that can really get you dialed in. For instance, I hunt an expansive piece of public land that requires a boat for the best spots. I've been able to pattern the birds over 30 years. All my shooting is less than 25yds, so my cheap Estate 20ga #4s will hammer anything I shoot.

OP looks to be posting to promote his YouTube channel, he is from Michigan.  10 posts and most were his YouTube videos.

He’s been posting his videos on all the Facebook groups I’m in too.

Offline Everydaylimits

• Tracker
Nothing against posting on this forum if your from another state. I have hunted in Washington before. Also my videos are good talking points to discuss these topics. Have you not enjoyed watching them and seeing the difference in these shells as well as the comparisons. By looking at this forum it looks like im the most frequent poster actually getting people engaged to talk. I have a nice pattern test video of #4, #2 and BB shot coming out but apparently a few people dont want to see it.

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
@Everydaylimits  I say post em up. 

As stated in an earlier post, I'd like to see patterns shot at normal decoy ranges with those flite control wad loads.  Post a video along those lines and I'll tune in.

Offline Everydaylimits

• Tracker
You got it. I will post this one for you on Sunday. I did just that and showed the pattern and the wads were pretty cool to see after. You can see they held a tighter pattern over the Winchester.

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
While I have slowed waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down there was a time that I hunted waterfowl 5-6 times a week. For a little while there we danced with the prospect of television fame and I have hunted many states in this country. Without being a braggart I can say that I have killed more waterfowl than most. I have been sponsored by shot companies and I have used every shotshell you can think of. Here are my thoughts

1) Heavy metal shells like tungsten and bismuth really do hit harder.
2) Anything Remington makes is complete trash, I would rather shoot Estate shells.
3) Kent shells are great for some but I have seen the most FTF (Failure to Fire) from those shells than any others. This was observed in a wide verity of guns.
4) Shooting skills trump shell brand choice. I know a guy that runs a clinic in the goose pit using a 20 gauge with cheap-o shells. Probably the best shot I know.     

This debate is endless and everybody has their own thoughts. It's kinda like the Remington CoreLock bullets. They are not high end but I would wager that they have more big game kills than any other bullet on the market. At some point you just have to rely on shooting skills. I have killed ducks and geese with just about every brand you can think of. They all work, some are dirty and require more cleaning maintenance, some are faster and require aim/lead adjustment, some are "waterproof" and some have crazy ideas about shot size or shape and colors.

The bottom line is you should buy what you can afford to shoot and practice with it. If it's a dirty shell that still kills birds but requires more gun maintenance so be it. There is no reason to be fooled into designer shot shells that are outside of your budget. If you can afford the expensive stuff shoot it, and if not, don't worry about it! They all kill and they will all work. It's like a new GF, you just have to get to know them and then decided if you want to keep them around.       
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline Everydaylimits

• Tracker
While I have slowed waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down there was a time that I hunted waterfowl 5-6 times a week. For a little while there we danced with the prospect of television fame and I have hunted many states in this country. Without being a braggart I can say that I have killed more waterfowl than most. I have been sponsored by shot companies and I have used every shotshell you can think of. Here are my thoughts

2) Anything Remington makes is complete trash, I would rather shoot Estate shells.
3) Kent shells are great for some but I have seen the most FTF (Failure to Fire) from those shells than any others. This was observed in a wide verity of guns.
4) Shooting skills trump shell brand choice. I know a guy that runs a clinic in the goose pit using a 20 gauge with cheap-o shells. Probably the best shot I know.     

This debate is endless and everybody has their own thoughts. It's kinda like the Remington CoreLock bullets. They are not high end but I would wager that they have more big game kills than any other bullet on the market. At some point you just have to rely on shooting skills. I have killed ducks and geese with just about every brand you can think of. They all work, some are dirty and require more cleaning maintenance, some are faster and require aim/lead adjustment, some are "waterproof" and some have crazy ideas about shot size or shape and colors.

The bottom line is you should buy what you can afford to shoot and practice with it. If it's a dirty shell that still kills birds but requires more gun maintenance so be it. There is no reason to be fooled into designer shot shells that are outside of your budget. If you can afford the expensive stuff shoot it, and if not, don't worry about it! They all kill and they will all work. It's like a new GF, you just have to get to know them and then decided if you want to keep them around.     

That is a great post and I agree with you. Out of anything I would just suggest people to get out and pattern their gun if switching and especially if switching choke combinations. They all perform a little different.

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!

That is a great post and I agree with you. Out of anything I would just suggest people to get out and pattern their gun if switching and especially if switching choke combinations. They all perform a little different.

Yeah, choke selection is a whole other conversation.
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
When Walmart had Winchester steel on clearance I purchased 3.5 cases of #2 3" for $7 a box. Ill make them work and hone my barrel before the season!
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal