collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pre purchase questions on a 23' glasply  (Read 2937 times)

Offline syoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
Pre purchase questions on a 23' glasply
« on: July 16, 2020, 09:53:49 AM »
So i found a 1978 glasply that is nicley outfitted, and fits my budget. Thinking i may go take a look this weekend. Its a 5 hour trip to see the boat, so im hoping before i go maybe some of yoj familiar with glasplys can answer some questions!

The big one, can it fish 4 adults without being supet cramped?
We fish out of a 19'6 nwjet freedom right now, and its tight with 4 on board. I cant tell if the glasply offers alot more room from pictures.

Any idea fuel tank size used in these boats? Its got a newer 350 with a merc outdrive. If they pit baby 20 gallon tanks or something silly that would be good to know.

And lastly, how stable are these on the water? Do they get tippy?

Thanks for any help!

Offline ALLTERRAIN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: wenatchee mtn. masters, pnw4wda
Re: Pre purchase questions on a 23' glasply
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 10:34:06 AM »
I don’t remember the year of my ex bosses boat but it was a 23’. We fished ALOT out of Neah Bay with it and it was a great boat to be in in rough water. I never thought of as being “tippy” at all. There should be a cover on the floor to access the sender and should be a tag on it with the size of tank. I thought his was around 30-40 gallon. Like any other boat of that age,  check stringers and transom for rotten wood. Good luck, awesome boats!!

Offline Brotherman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: NRA, WAC, RMEF
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 10:48:13 AM »
It's been a few years, but spent 32 working on boats. I believe they have a 45 gallon tank in them. Allterrain is correct to look for the label, should be under the center floor panel. . Several things to check is soft floors, as they are plywood. Stringers are fiberglass, but have foam below deck that can absorb water. If you are sea trialing it, look to see how it floats in comparison to the tape line. The normal things with the engine and drive. Water in gear oil, unusual sounds coming from the drive and gimbal area. They were great boats in their day, well built and ride well.

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 10:51:37 AM »
I have to imagine 45 gallons would limit what you can do.  What does a boat like that get, maybe 1 gallon per mile?

Offline spoonman

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 10:53:22 AM »
It will be cramped with a inboard .

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 10:59:14 AM »
I would bet that it is burning 8 -12 gallons per hour at 3200 rpms, which would likely be 25-30 mph depending on how it is propped.

older boats are normally between 7'6" wide to maybe 8 ft wide.  Modern boats of that length are 8'6" wide.

I will send you a p.m.

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 11:04:09 AM »
yeah a 45 gallon tank is pretty marginal, but would work or 90% of what I would want to do with it I think. As of now, its between older glasply 23's and late 80's to early 90s trophys. found a couple 24' models that are equipped like I would want, but haven't seen them in person yet.

Online Henrydog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 11:13:45 AM »
Have a shop you trust or a AMS put a moisture meter on it and check the stringers and transom for dry rot as well.  A couple $100 upfront might save you many thousands and possibly your life on the Sound.

Offline Badhabit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 11:45:49 AM »
Take some muffs that fit the water intake on the lower unit so you can start it and hear and see it run. Check to see if it has a h20 seperator and check for h20 in the filter. Check the oil in the block and lower unit. Spin the prop, listen for any grinding noise. Engage the prop while it is idling in forward and reverse. Check the dash switches to make sure they turn on and off what the switch is intended to do.

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 11:57:17 AM »
This guy is asking for (imo) top money for this boat, I don't think ill be willing to spend it if we cant take it out and actually function check everything on the water.
Should I plan on checking it all in the driveway with muffs first, or will doing it all on the water work as well?

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 12:39:54 PM »
This guy is asking for (imo) top money for this boat, I don't think ill be willing to spend it if we cant take it out and actually function check everything on the water.
Should I plan on checking it all in the driveway with muffs first, or will doing it all on the water work as well?

You should be able to negotiate all of those things as part of viewing /testing the boat.  When i bought my last/current boat.   he said " bring your favorite weapon (waterski, wakeboard, surf board) so you can see if you like it."  we met at a boat ramp.

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 12:51:53 PM »
It will be super cramped with the inboard. I’d go a different route...
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 01:46:22 PM »
It will be super cramped with the inboard. I’d go a different route...

:yeah:

4 can sit comfortably and two can fish.  I had a similar boat back in the day and hated having to walk around the engine every time I needed to use the downrigger.  They also really need a 15 hp kicker, the 9.9 will be tired especially on windy days.

They are a dream in the water though, softest ride around.  I had mine airborne once and hardly felt the landing.

The problem with old boats is that water eventually finds it's way under the floors and with fiberglass it's a bunch more work and potential issues compared with aluminum.  Even if the stringers aren't wood, when they are submerged for a long time you can get delamination as well as the joy of re-foaming.  I had to do that on one side of the one I bought, it was a big mess and costly.

I would agree to check to see how it sits in the water, both the waterline and listing.  If one side is wet it will have a slight list.  If both are, the waterline will be too high.

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2020, 01:53:04 PM »
Id love to have a nice big outboard boat, but anything with an outboard in the size im looking at is in a way worse condition, and more money. for a starter boat, im pretty well stuck to having an inboard for the time being.

the boat does have a 25hp kicker on it!

Offline throwingsticks

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2020, 02:01:14 PM »
Id love to have a nice big outboard boat, but anything with an outboard in the size im looking at is in a way worse condition, and more money. for a starter boat, im pretty well stuck to having an inboard for the time being.

the boat does have a 25hp kicker on it!
If this the boat a state below us, I think the asking price is fair, plus if it has been stored under cover or indoors that is a HUGE plus. Solid boat for the $ if you are ok doing maintenance yourself.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal