collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Archery blacktail.  (Read 5061 times)

Offline StuckoYota99

• They call me Sneakers
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Archery blacktail.
« on: July 23, 2020, 09:27:23 AM »
Hello, looking to get some advice on archery hunting blacktail. Location would be high alpine with small pockets of Meadows. I have a meadow that's about 100 ydsx100yds with decent size a water seap. I have deer and bear consistently coming to the water on cameras. Would it be worth packing a ground blind and sitting on the water hole for a weekend? The water hole is on the edge of the timber so I have concealment.  With limited weekends would you dedicate time to a very isolated spot or would you focus on areas with long sight lines that you can spot animals and try to stalk? Also I hunt solo.

Thanks everyone.
NO! You may not drive my truck.

My mommy says im durable.

"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness." James 1:2-3

Offline Bowhunter3

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
Re: Archery blacktail.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 10:14:19 AM »
I would start by getting out there for the August 1st opener for a bear and see what the deer are doing too.

Offline Turner89

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 10:52:14 PM »
I would start by getting out there for the August 1st opener for a bear and see what the deer are doing too.
:yeah:
I don't know how far of a hike it is for you, but I dont think I would pack a blind in there.
" if your a 20 year old and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your a 40 year old and not a conservative,  you don't have a brain"

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 11:22:17 PM »
That question is what makes it all so fun, challenging, and frustrating.  "Should I commit to this idea, or perhaps there is a better opportunity elsewhere."  When you guess right, you've got bragging rights for the entire year.  When you're wrong, cover your tracks and tell no one!  I say - follow your instincts.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 11:32:47 PM »
Spot and stalk is a blast..but your ratio of success with blacktail is pretty dang low..but you will learn so much

Blind might be boring in the slow times but you will have a much higher likelihood of success...a treestand would be better yet

Everything is a compromise

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 11:35:50 PM »
Im sorry to be the contrarian. I have pics of nice blacktail bucks 2-300 yards from peoples homes. Ive killed more deer near peoples homes that i have seen out in the woods.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline StuckoYota99

• They call me Sneakers
  • Tracker
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 08:53:22 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone, I won't dispute that special t. The deer are where they are. I'll most likely head east for the first weekend but I like to have my options open. Setting cameras and seeing critters is a blast. I ended up building a ground blind out of fallen limbs. Will let it sit for a month so the deer get used to it. I don't think I would be able to get a tree stand into the area unless I did it in 2 or 3 trips.

"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness." James 1:2-3

Offline samdubs1

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 10:10:44 AM »
Have you looked into saddle hunting or lightweight hang on stands?
Retired crusty old Senior Chief USN

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 09:22:18 PM »
Im sorry to be the contrarian. I have pics of nice blacktail bucks 2-300 yards from peoples homes. Ive killed more deer near peoples homes that i have seen out in the woods.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Hunting is not always about the kill.  The challenge that Stuko is pursuing is worthwhile and fits his idea of what hunting deer is all about. Otherwise, I'm with you Special T -  Fish where the fish are, hunt deer where the deer congregate.  It's all challenging enough for me - I don't need to make it harder.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Online RobinHoodlum

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 09:54:19 PM »
Sitting on a blind without a tremendous level of patterning certainty just doesn't cut it for me. I believe it can be a successful strategy, but I'd rather go see what they're feeding on, whether they're chasing yet, where their bedding vs. feeding areas are, look for rub lines, etc.... Then use that information to be in the right place at the right time. That day, next hunt, next season. Doesn't always work out, but so sweet when it does!

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2020, 07:18:30 AM »
Read Byod Iversons Blacktail Trophy Tactics 2
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline StuckoYota99

• They call me Sneakers
  • Tracker
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2020, 01:43:49 PM »
I've had trail cameras in the area for 3 years and see deer every day unfortunately I only see bucks at night. So perhaps I should move off of the water to a trail  where they are transitioning from bed to water to food. I also understand I cannot eat the horns. Mainly why I are my tag last year by passing on a doe opening morning.

Appreciate the feedback.

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2020, 02:11:11 PM »

Yep!  just finished reading it again a week or so back.  Hoping this year to spend more time chasing blacktails. 
In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2020, 02:34:13 PM »

Yep!  just finished reading it again a week or so back.  Hoping this year to spend more time chasing blacktails.

after reading that book my favorite time to do some scouting is just after the late season. I hunt the 407 a lot.

Confucius

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2020, 02:39:07 PM »
agreed  :tup:  Last year hunting a late Elk tag and decided that area was a great Blacktail area for late seasons. Hoping to spend more time in that area refining what I already have learned.
In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal