collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Muley rut  (Read 4410 times)

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Muley rut
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2020, 10:11:18 PM »
Peak of the rut dates are not what you want.  That is the date when the majority of the doe are being bred (and the bucks are tending and not searching/chasing).  The week or so before, when the chasing is going crazy is the best time to catch a buck out of his mind and stupid - Blacktail, Muley, Whitetail -  you should (in my simple mind) subtract a week to 10 day from the accepted peak of the rut dates given for an area determined by the region's biologists. 
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2020, 10:28:08 AM »
I think Idaho’s peak mule deer rut is the 1st week of November, I usually try and time my hunts to be hunting around Halloween because there tend to be some bucks starting to act crazy around the does. Shot a buck that was rutting hard on October 27th a couple of years back. Chasing does all over the hillside, lip curling, the full gambit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now that's a little disappointing. I've got one of your states draw tags that doesn't start till the 10th. Guess it'll be post rut hunting for me.

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2020, 10:31:51 AM »
The couple times I've hunted Wa in the muley rut it seems like the first week of Nov. is going great.  By the end of week 2 the activity level is noticeably less.  Both hunts started the day after modern elk ended and the first few days were very active.

Offline Mtnwalker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2020, 10:41:48 AM »
I think Idaho’s peak mule deer rut is the 1st week of November, I usually try and time my hunts to be hunting around Halloween because there tend to be some bucks starting to act crazy around the does. Shot a buck that was rutting hard on October 27th a couple of years back. Chasing does all over the hillside, lip curling, the full gambit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now that's a little disappointing. I've got one of your states draw tags that doesn't start till the 10th. Guess it'll be post rut hunting for me.

I always read about Idaho deer rutting early but it’s not what I’ve experienced on my (albeit limited) November hunts in Central ID. The wife has a lower panhandle tag this year so we are trying to choose a week to hunt as time will be limited. Right now we are leaning towards the 9-13th, we have until the 20th

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2020, 11:13:59 AM »
In MT, the hunter peak is the last week, no doubt about that where I hunt.

:yeah: that's been my experience in Montana too. We have hunted the 18th and 19th last few years and hit the peak for hunting whitetails perfect but have seen little to no action on mule deer. We used to hunt thanksgiving and after and hit the mule deer perfect it seemed. In Idaho I have rarely had a mule deer tag that went beyond a few days into the first of November but Halloween has been when I start seeing rut activity and when we have gotten the nicer bucks. I am going for a mule deer tag in November this year and would guess that week starting the 9th would be perfect. I would like to know how Idahos rut timing is so much different than central Montana it doesn't really make sense to me being fairly close in proximity, climate etc. Also panhandle whitetail seems best the last couple days of November so that really confuses me  :chuckle:.

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2020, 11:16:56 AM »
Peak of the rut dates are not what you want.  That is the date when the majority of the doe are being bred (and the bucks are tending and not searching/chasing).  The week or so before, when the chasing is going crazy is the best time to catch a buck out of his mind and stupid - Blacktail, Muley, Whitetail -  you should (in my simple mind) subtract a week to 10 day from the accepted peak of the rut dates given for an area determined by the region's biologists.

I think when hunters say peak of the rut they mean from a hunters perspective and really are talking about the "chase" period not the actual peak breeding period which is slow for hunting 

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2020, 04:39:33 AM »
My un-professional opinion is that things peak the week of Thanksgiving
@mburrows tried to return your pm but your inbox is full
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2020, 08:00:02 AM »
This is an interesting discussion due to the fact I have an Entiat rifle tag this year. I would guess for this hunt you would be looking to combo up Cascades snow & searching for prospective girlfriends? Does anyone have these exact dates so I can finalize my PTO for this hunt? :chuckle:

Blackies over in my backyard are usually somewhere between the last 10 days of October to the first 10 days of November. I caught my blackie last year laid up with a girlfriend at daylight on the 26th of October. I’ve always thought Muleys were in mid to late November depending on geographics.🤷‍♂️ My only experience is in Montana & it seems it varies a bit from year to year but we’ve hunted late towards Thanksgiving week the last 2 trips & it seemed like they were tending Doe’s at that time. :twocents:

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2020, 08:57:49 AM »
My un-professional opinion is that things peak the week of Thanksgiving
@mburrows tried to return your pm but your inbox is full

Cleaned out the inbox.

Offline no.cen.wa

• Hunter
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2020, 08:33:29 PM »
It depends, if you take your Dad, it will be the last day, the last hour, and on the way out of the woods! But, if he can't go,,, good luck! 
Can't wait to hear your story! I'll try to shoot the big one before he gets to your spot!
Good Luck,
John G

Offline SkookumHntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2020, 09:56:37 AM »
Haha thanks John! I just wrote this post to get some Muley talk going, i have a pretty good idea where to be and when to be there! ;)
IBEW89 RMEF MDF CCA

Offline 2MANY

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2020, 10:18:16 AM »
Mules can't rut.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal