collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Who cooks over an open fire?  (Read 3917 times)

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
Re: Who cooks over an open fire?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2020, 08:52:26 PM »
Only about 3 days a week all summer. This system is the Mountain Man set you can get from Costco.

Breakfast on the flat grill iron in the morning is the bomb.

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2020, 05:15:30 PM »
Funny story (sort of). Many many years ago myself and a few buddies show up to the lake to fish and camp for the night. As we are setting up camp, a large rabbit comes out of the bushes and is just sort of hanging out. It could have been a lost pet for all I know it was rather well kept and well fed.

We had shotguns in one of the trucks and my friend Mike says to friend Pat, "blow it away man" but it was clearly sarcasm. The problem: our friend Patsy apparently doesn't get sarcasm very well. So a few moments pass and I hear what sounds like the double barrel action closing but it was behind me a ways and I thought it must have been something else.

Next moment BANG! Turn around and yes Patsy dumped the poor rabbit.

The rest of us were like WTF??? And then Patsy explains he thought Mike was serious. When we all explained that the rest of us heard it as sarcasm, Patsy, breaks down and cries! His conscious really hit him hard and he was so remorseful that he killed the animal.

So I say to Patsy, you killed him, now we're all gonna eat him. Pat could hardly dress the animal out while he continued to shed tears and I ended up doing most of it. In the end, we had the whole carcass wrapped around a fresh green branch and we did it rotisserie style. It took quite some time but in the end it was absolutely delicious.

Patsy learned a good lesson that day and we all got to eat some good food cooked over an open fire.

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2020, 03:22:21 PM »
I like to and would like to do it more often. But I cooked at our campsite on the Tucannon once chicken breasts. I used tinfoil to cover and protect them with oil and seasoning. and BBQ sauce and they turned out great even though it was pouring down rain that day. As a kid before all these modern iron fire pits at the pay to play sites we did all the time. Baked potatoes wrapped in tin foil and just inside the rock formation or on top of a rock just near the heat to cook. Did take forever though but they turned out great.
Getting a grill or something on top of the fire to cook on and keep steady and not be lopsided though was a pain that's when we got our Coleman camp stove.
40-50 years and we still have it. LOL.
I can't remember the actual date or year but think it was the early 70's
I now look for ways to do more of that, But I still use that same old Coleman. :chuckle:
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline Platensek-po

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2020, 03:32:07 PM »
We cook animals on the cross. You have a nice sized fire and the animal leaning while open on the cross. Takes about a whole day to do a small
Pig or goat and you have to continually baste the animal in water and spices. Always comes out amazing. I learned it in Argentina and have always wanted to try other animals on it.
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

Offline Jolten

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2020, 05:38:46 PM »
I may have done it a time or 2.
The best equipment in the world is useless to the idiot who doesn't understand it.

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2020, 12:00:26 AM »

Did they do anything special to prep the ribs?  I did that once with a rack of fresh coues ribs, but they were super tough........sure would love to figure out how to cook good ribs over the fire to celebrate a successful hunt. 
[/quote]

The easiest way to keep those Rib's tender when cooking them over the open fire is to "Brine them first overnight and cook them slow."
(The hardest part is finding something big enough to brine them in!)  :chuckle:
Doug
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 12:28:12 AM by AL WORRELLS KID »
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2020, 09:04:07 AM »
Its fun to cook over an open fire. I really enjoy a good steak prepared this way. I get some good coals, usually a mix of BBQ briquettes and random camp fire wood. Add some dry, small, walnut twigs & branches on the coals. Toss on the meat. Gives the steak a great flavor. I put an old gas bbq grill grate over my fire ring to cook on.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2020, 10:42:48 AM »
We cook animals on the cross. You have a nice sized fire and the animal leaning while open on the cross. Takes about a whole day to do a small
Pig or goat and you have to continually baste the animal in water and spices. Always comes out amazing. I learned it in Argentina and have always wanted to try other animals on it.

Those Argentinians like their goats cooked that way - way better than one would think.  Caracas Venezuela Beef steaks cooked over flame and served on wood planks was best I ever had. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 11:59:17 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]