collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Knight bighorn Ignition  (Read 2202 times)

Offline DUCKDUDE

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
Knight bighorn Ignition
« on: July 28, 2020, 10:13:23 PM »
OK guys I have a knight bighorn and have always used #11's.  But since we can use 209 now i was thinking of making the change since i already have the breech plug for it.  Whats all your thoughts?  Is there and real benefit or is it overrated.  Plus I'm sure it will change my zero.  And GO!

Offline callturner

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
    • n/a
  • Groups: nra
Re: Knight bighorn Ignition
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 11:03:54 PM »
I use musket caps in mine cause there easier to stick on by hand if you have to. I have 2 different breech plugs for 209s , 1 magnetic and one for the plastic red things that hold them. I have never played with either.

Offline Jellymon

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 11:40:58 PM »
I’ve never had an issue with German musket caps so I see no reason for me to change. That and the 209 conversion kit for my disk extreme is almost $200. :yike:

I could be wrong but I believe you would need a new plunger/bolt assembly to go with your 209 breech plug.

Offline DUCKDUDE

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 11:48:10 PM »
Im certain i have the universal plunger.  it came with the 209 breech plug installed i had to buy the #11 plug separate.

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 04:02:58 AM »
if it's got the point in the center, you have the universal plunger.  the "cap only" ones were flat to my knowledge.  with the universal one, you just need to get a FPJ breech plug, around 20 bucks.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 05:25:14 AM »
I converted mine. Easy deal. Natchez shooter supply has the whole thing for $40 to convert. I think being a shotgun primer, you have very few if any misfires. Only reason I switched. It has a good deal around the nipple too with this red jacket inserts

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 07:56:24 AM »
I researched this a lot and it seems the 209 is over rated unless you want to shoot 209 smokeless powder. Reliability still seems best with a practically sealed #11 cap that can be made even more waterproof fairly easily. But all the options work well for some.

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 08:19:57 AM »
I researched this a lot and it seems the 209 is over rated unless you want to shoot 209 smokeless powder. Reliability still seems best with a practically sealed #11 cap that can be made even more waterproof fairly easily. But all the options work well for some.

I would really like to agree with you. I remember I switched over my Whites and Knight cap guns to 209, but it was a short lived thing.  I went back to #11 Mag caps or better yet the RWS Dynamit Noble 1075 caps in short order.

Did a lot if testing with Musket caps - #11 Caps and 209 primers.  I found that 209's did not give the expected boost in velocity and in many caps guns the 209 actually could be a liability because of the blow back potential.  The 209 being forced out of the breech plug and then expelled out of the breech.  I settled on the #11 because with the right nipple installed I could make the breech water proof.

Lehigh Defense just started making another really good nipple for #11 cap fit.

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline DUCKDUDE

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 08:24:23 PM »
Thanks Sabotloader i was hoping you would chime in.  After more thought i think i will just stay with #11's they have always been good to me. I really want to try those RWS Number 11 Percussion Caps.  But they seem hard to find or sold out. Also I'm shooting the power belt 295 hollow point with 110g of fff.  But thinking of switching to the hard cast harvester what do you think.

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 07:14:28 AM »
Thanks Sabotloader i was hoping you would chime in.  After more thought i think i will just stay with #11's they have always been good to me. I really want to try those RWS Number 11 Percussion Caps.  But they seem hard to find or sold out. Also I'm shooting the power belt 295 hollow point with 110g of fff.  But thinking of switching to the hard cast harvester what do you think.

I get them at Sportsman's but have not looked lately.  The downside is they are way more expensive than the CCI #11 Mag's.  But I do use the CCI's for range practice and recreational shooting.

110gr. Vol of T7-3f shooting a 295 lead power belt could lead to a disaster at times.  That is a lot of velocity for the PBelt, especially at closer ranges.  There are times the bullet may blow up entering an animal especially if you were to contact bone. 

I have never shot any Harvester Hard cast so I really can't weigh in on them.  But if you can hunt with a saboted bullet and it doesn't have to be lead - there are a ton of bullets out their that are really good.

Since you are shooting a Bighorn you can shoot almost any bullet sabot combination you choose to hunt with.  For myself during regualar rifle season here in Idaho I use a Lehigh .452x265CF in a MMP HPH-24 sabot with your current powder load. Great for elk and and deer.

This is a pic of them.  Just ignore the 209 primers - I was shooting an inline set up for rifle season.

For sighting in, range shooting and recreational shooting I will use a less expensive bullet of similar weight for shooting.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 07:20:59 AM by Sabotloader »

Offline DUCKDUDE

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2020, 08:24:14 PM »

I get them at Sportsman's but have not looked lately.  The downside is they are way more expensive than the CCI #11 Mag's.  But I do use the CCI's for range practice and recreational shooting.

110gr. Vol of T7-3f shooting a 295 lead power belt could lead to a disaster at times.  That is a lot of velocity for the PBelt, especially at closer ranges.  There are times the bullet may blow up entering an animal especially if you were to contact bone. 

I have never shot any Harvester Hard cast so I really can't weigh in on them.  But if you can hunt with a saboted bullet and it doesn't have to be lead - there are a ton of bullets out their that are really good.

Since you are shooting a Bighorn you can shoot almost any bullet sabot combination you choose to hunt with.  For myself during regualar rifle season here in Idaho I use a Lehigh .452x265CF in a MMP HPH-24 sabot with your current powder load. Great for elk and and deer.

This is a pic of them.  Just ignore the 209 primers - I was shooting an inline set up for rifle season.

For sighting in, range shooting and recreational shooting I will use a less expensive bullet of similar weight for shooting.

Cool thanks.  Yeah Im in Washington so we have way more choices now.  I'm still shooting the solid lead HP powerbelts from the old laws so I'm really looking to change.  Do you know anything about the Barnes Expander MZ.  Im a Barnes fan and shoot them exclusively in my Rifle.

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2020, 03:22:50 PM »
The Barnes MZ Expanders work very well from a ML..

Offline MountainDevil54

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2020, 11:14:42 AM »
#1 biggest problem with 209 primers is the amount of crud ring they leave in the bore after 1 or 2 shots. I dont get that with #11 caps. Use real black powder and you'll never look back.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal