collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fly Tier Looking for Hunting Buddies  (Read 1955 times)

Offline Dyollnave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Fly Tier Looking for Hunting Buddies
« on: July 28, 2020, 10:20:00 PM »
Hello All,

I am new here, and as the title suggests, I am a fly tier. I am constantly looking for new materials and would love to source my own materials rather than buying.  I am not a hunter (I know its a little odd to be on a hunting forum) so this poses a bit of a challenge. I am however an avid backpacker and come with a proposal: we hunt, you keep the meat, I keep the fur/feathers and help packing out. Depending on the target game, you can also fill my bag limit (if this is allowed, dont really know). Double your fun! I have my Washington State hunter education card and can obtain a hunting license, I just have no desire to pull the trigger.

I would be interested in any upland or waterfowl birds, deer, elk, and small game (rabbits especially).  I am on the westside but can travel.
Let me know if this sparks an interest!

Happy hunting and tight lines.
Evan

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Fly Tier Looking for Hunting Buddies
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 09:16:18 PM »
Naaa.   I'd recommend you just go to the local annual sporting good show next winter.  There are often vendors selling various sizes of deer/elk/other fur bearer animal patches and pelts that are perfect for tying, and 10 bucks will get you a couple years worth of deer or elk hair.  You're not going to get any rooster hackles or peacock feathers from wild game birds, so other than the odd duck wing or turkey feather, it sounds like a ridiculous amount of work to get a few bucks worth of tying materials. 
  From a hunter's point of view, tripping around the woods with someone in tow who doesn't really like hunting sounds like a bad idea.  Good luck though.  Who knows?  Maybe someone will bite.....
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 10:38:46 PM »
Hello All,

I am new here, and as the title suggests, I am a fly tier. I am constantly looking for new materials and would love to source my own materials rather than buying.  I am not a hunter (I know its a little odd to be on a hunting forum) so this poses a bit of a challenge. I am however an avid backpacker and come with a proposal: we hunt, you keep the meat, I keep the fur/feathers and help packing out. Depending on the target game, you can also fill my bag limit (if this is allowed, dont really know). Double your fun! I have my Washington State hunter education card and can obtain a hunting license, I just have no desire to pull the trigger.

I would be interested in any upland or waterfowl birds, deer, elk, and small game (rabbits especially).  I am on the westside but can travel.

Evan
You are not allowed to party hunt and have someone else fill your tag or limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline Onewhohikes

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 06:03:26 AM »
Best thing is to go to a Taxidermist and see if you can't get their trimmings.

Offline Bwana Bob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 06:18:16 AM »
I have some turkey feathers and pheasant tails I can give you for free. I live in Bothell. I'd love some fly's. going to WY fishing soon.
Bob

Offline Dyollnave

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 03:02:22 PM »
Hello All,

Evan

That is a little silly. If we are both licensed hunters and the season is open who cares who pulls the trigger as long as it’s legal to do so? Well apparently WDFW does, just doesn’t make sense to me.  I get someone could abuse the system by claiming a hunting partner just left but if two hunters are both active participants I don’t see an issue.

$0.02

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 03:13:26 PM »
Hello All,

Evan

That is a little silly. If we are both licensed hunters and the season is open who cares who pulls the trigger as long as it’s legal to do so? Well apparently WDFW does, just doesn’t make sense to me.  I get someone could abuse the system by claiming a hunting partner just left but if two hunters are both active participants I don’t see an issue.

$0.02

You should stick to fishing since your ideas about hunting in Washington don't mesh with the laws. Hopefully you can abide by the fishing laws in this state?

Offline Little Dave

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 08:02:48 AM »
Think of the big game resource as limited and under a lot of pressure from habitat loss.  Just a fraction of people who buy tags will fill them.  If the game managers knew that every tag was going to be filled every time - they would offer fewer tags, otherwise the populations go to zero.

Some hunters get frustrated when there is talk of party hunting out of concern for game being available in the future.  For a lot of us, probably most of us, hunting is something we expect to pass on to the next generation.  So we can be real sensitive to stunts which interfere with that need.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 08:11:40 AM »
I've never hunted in a state where party hunting was legal, it's not like WA is doing something crazy here.

I would be surprised if there were many people in the west that think it's a good idea.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]