collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Battery powered lawn mowers?  (Read 1199 times)

Offline elksnout

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Battery powered lawn mowers?
« on: July 29, 2020, 02:20:07 PM »
Anyone have any input? I have brand new grass in my fenced backyard and am in need of a push mower and have been reading reviews and surprisingly people are happy with them. I’m talking a 40x70 pc of grass. I have a rider for the rest of the property.

The one I’m looking at is the Ryobi 40 volt. No gas. No gas going bad. No power cord like the old ones. Brushless Lithium-Ion battery. 48 minutes per charge. Takes me about 10-15 minutes now.

Thanks
Elksnout
Can't we all just get along?

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
Re: Battery powered lawn mowers?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 02:24:09 PM »
I don't own an electric but the neighborhood kid who sometimes mows for me has the RYOBI electric and I was impressed with it. It took care of a fairly long grass mowing that I thought it would struggle with, takes him about 40 minutes on the back.  :twocents:
Just tend your own and live.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 02:41:53 PM »
My question for you is what kind of cordless tools do you run? I couldnt go with the 40 volt because i run the 18 volt power system. If i had a small patch i would try out one of these.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-13-in-ONE-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Battery-Walk-Behind-Push-Lawn-Mower-4-0-Ah-Battery-Charger-Included-P1140-S/310261706?MERCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-311084745-_-310261706-_-N

If however my tools were 20 volt dewalts I would go this route.
https://www.dewalt.com/products/outdoor/lawn-mowers/2x-20v-max-brushless-20-in-3in1-cordless-lawn-mower/dcmw220x2c

I hate specialized charging systems. OP sounds like a small piece of grass so your options may be wider than most.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 04:14:28 PM »
I had one maybe 4 years ago and ended up ditching it because the batteries would only last 1-2 seasons and every year I had one or two mows where I had to go over it at least twice due to height.  It had a ni-cad system, totally different than the lithium ones now.  I ended up buying the cheapest mower with a Honda engine I could find.

Next mower will likely be electric, I have a small yard and already switched the trimmer to electric.

I have a chainsaw and pressure washer that require gas to be stored, so it isn't much of a benefit switching the mower.

Offline jaymark6655

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 05:00:35 PM »
Make sure it Li, Ni-Cd sucks. Li is lighter and the battery should last longer. Eventually it will need a new battery, but I am not sure how long will last.

With other stuff using gas its not such a big deal to pick up a cheap gas push mower. Battery powered would be much more expensive.
"That's the reason we pay $25 for a recoil lug made by a professional instead of one for $0.50 made by Micheal J Fox using a dremel!"

"Women should be treated the same as a French Rifle, dropped at the first sign of trouble."

Offline elksnout

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 11:58:41 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. Even with reading reviews, etc I just have too much old dog in me and went with gas. Picked up a brand new Craftsman with bag at Lowe’s for $229.99.

Elksnout
Can't we all just get along?

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 01:11:03 PM »
Late to the party, but we had the Ryobi with the rapid charger.  Was a great mower.  We had 2.5 acres, about 1/2 acre of which was lawn.  Was quite reliable.  We included it with the house when we sold it....which escrow closing records in about 3 hours! 

Definitely recommend the Ryobi self-propelled battery operated, and the rapid charger.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 01:17:44 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. Even with reading reviews, etc I just have too much old dog in me and went with gas. Picked up a brand new Craftsman with bag at Lowe’s for $229.99.

Elksnout

Good Call,  Have the Go Mower and works fine but wish wheels were larger and deck couple inches larger.    Had an old school 24" Craftsman missing muffler but that was a cutting monster!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal