collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Grinder recommendation?  (Read 3754 times)

Offline dwils233

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Grinder recommendation?
« on: July 31, 2020, 09:13:00 AM »
I've had a little 250w grinder for a couple years, but it makes grinding a chore because my plates keep thinking up with connective tissue a, maybe some missed silver skin, etc. What size/ hp would I need just burn through my deer when I'm grinding? It really takes the joy out of processing to constantly be cleaning out the plate

Or is there something else I'm doing wrong? Thanks, any particular grinders I should be looking at?
A promise made is a debt unpaid, and the trail has its own stern code

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Grinder recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 09:16:18 AM »
Get a legit 1/2 hp or bigger, should run you $350 or so.  I got a great deal on a Cabelas floor model and I never clean off during grinding, only after and there is just a small bit there.

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 09:48:38 AM »
One trick is to freeze the chunks of meat slightly, not rock hard but firm then they grind real easy and the grinder stays alot cleaner and wont clog
I use cookie sheets and lay it on in single layers.
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 11:28:16 AM »
Buckmark is spot on.  Partially frozen meat will reduce any overheating problems with smaller grinders too.  Buy as large a machine as you can afford.  I'd go #22 at a minimum.  Mine is 1 HP #22 and it grinds fast.  I got 25 lbs of various critters thawing today and that will be a solid 3 minutes of grinding, if that.  No stopping to clean either.  I've ground as much as 50 lbs at a time and have never had to stop mid stream for anything, cleaning or otherwise.  Bigger isn't necessarily better all the time, but with meat grinders, it is.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 11:35:04 AM »
I would recommend this one, but unfortunately it has been discontinued.  Its a beast and WAY better than it looks.  I've put probably 4 elk, 12 deer and 2 bears through it, among other things, without any issues at all.  I've really been happy with it over the course of the last 6 years.  Its small, light weight, loud as _____...  Works great.  I know its not traditional, but don't just buy the biggest, baddest, heaviest grinder you can find, it may not be necessary.  I've been trying to break this thing for a long time and it keeps on chuggin.

https://www.onestopjerkyshop.com/products/meat-grinders/electric-meat-grinder/tasin-ts-108-tasin-ts-108-electric-meat-grinder/

Offline andersonjk4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 12:35:45 PM »
I have a 1 3/4 HP #42 Cabela's grinder that I have had for over 10 years.  I have put 1000's of pounds through it (deer, elk, beef, pork etc.).  The suggestions of partially frozen meat is spot on.  A couple other things to consider to keep your grinder from binding up is keeping your cutting blade and plate sharp.  This makes a huge difference.  There are places that will sharpen the plates and the blades for you or you can do it yourself.  I use 600-800-1200 grit wet sand paper on a nice flat surface (I use an scrap of Corian counter top) to sharpen the blades and the plate.  Don't forget to sharpen the plate.  Having the plate and blade mate up really well with nice sharp edges will cut through the silver skin.  The other thing is not reduce the back pressure on the discharge of the grinder.  A lot of grinders come with tubes, so you can grind right into casings or into the ground meat bags, but this created a lot of back pressure and causes the meat to "churn" in the throat building up heat and turning the meat into mush.  I prefer to grind with no attachments.  If I'm grinding burger I will grind into meat tubs and then use a sausage stuffer to put the burger into the 1.5# ground meat bags.  It is an extra step, but in the long run it saves time because the grinding goes way faster and you don't have interruptions in the grinding process to change bags or casings or whatever. 

Sorry for the thread derailment.  As far as Grinder recommendations I do recommend the Cabela's grinders.  I have the older version before the Carnivore series.  The older line was made by Weston for Cabela's, so from that experience I would also recommend Weston grinders.  As another said.  Buy as much horsepower as you can afford and that makes sense for how much and how frequently you will be grinding.  If you plan on doing many small (5-15 pound) batches a year then I would get a smaller 1/2 to 3/4 hp grinder.  If you plan on doing a few big batches (50+ pounds) a year then you will probably want something in the 1 HP range.  I typically save up all of my grinding to do once or twice a year and it usually involves a few buddies, so we will grind 100's of pounds in a day. Another thing to consider is storage and clean-up.  My 1.75hp grinder is big and heavy.  It is a chore to haul out, set-up, clean up and then put away. and it takes up some serious space in the garage.  Not something that you want to be doing for that 5 pound batch of sausage you want to whip up.  I have considered buying a small grinder to keep in the house just for those occasions.  So if that is something you want to do I would stick to the fractional horsepower size range.     

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 12:53:21 PM »
your plate and cutter are probably worn out, replace and get meat right near freezing

any grinder will plug if you have worn out cutter and grind plates

Offline buckfvr

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 01:10:54 PM »
One trick is to freeze the chunks of meat slightly, not rock hard but firm then they grind real easy and the grinder stays alot cleaner and wont clog

single layer then a sheet of parchment paper then another layer........works for us.

Offline Buckmark

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 01:38:07 PM »

single layer then a sheet of parchment paper then another layer........works for us.
:yeah:
And i get it going like an assembly line, sheet of meat in the freezer, cut and set up another put it in, check the first one, rinse and repeat and when the first one is ready pull and grind and work them in order, goes pretty slick if you are doing a bunch.
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline hal

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2020, 09:08:15 AM »
walmart has some smokin deals. I bought a 1100 watt #22 delivered for less than $300. Cabelas more expensive. It is rated at 350# per hour. Silver skin will muck up any grinder eventually. Best to make sure all are removed before it finds its way into your grind pile. Don't remember the name as it is stored away but found the model #EP21595. Almost all are made in China. Easy to use and clean. Very happy with it

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2020, 09:59:15 AM »
I had a 1 hp grinder that has worked for 10ish years perfectly.  My only complaint is it was a pain in the but to clean.  It would eat literally anything.  I sold it to a buddy for $50 bucks after buying a 1.5 hp carnivor from cabelas on one of their club sales......I couldn't pass up the deal.  Here is a link to both.  I personally would not buy one that was less than 1HP. 

https://www.amazon.com/Happybuy-Electric-Meat-Grinder-750W/dp/B071S5WD92/ref=sr_1_19?dchild=1&keywords=1+hp+meat+grinder&qid=1596646528&sr=8-19

The cabelas is much easier to clean. 

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-carnivore-1-12-hp-commercial-grade-meat-grinder

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2020, 10:46:06 AM »
hot soapy water, stiff bottle brush then I coat with coconut oil before I put it away.   clean again before use, then put the head in the freezer for an hour or so, then get everything ready then pull head out the freezer then grind away

#32 Cabela's carnivore, also use the head freezer pack wrap thing

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 03:16:07 PM »
If I was going to buy a new grinder, I'd buy an LEM dual grind.

https://www.lemproducts.com/category/dual-grind

Offline Scruffy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2020, 02:29:40 AM »
I would recommend this one, but unfortunately it has been discontinued.  Its a beast and WAY better than it looks.  I've put probably 4 elk, 12 deer and 2 bears through it, among other things, without any issues at all.  I've really been happy with it over the course of the last 6 years.  Its small, light weight, loud as _____...  Works great.  I know its not traditional, but don't just buy the biggest, baddest, heaviest grinder you can find, it may not be necessary.  I've been trying to break this thing for a long time and it keeps on chuggin.

https://www.onestopjerkyshop.com/products/meat-grinders/electric-meat-grinder/tasin-ts-108-tasin-ts-108-electric-meat-grinder/

I have the same POS grinder also for almost 20 yrs!!!  I been waiting for it to die but it hasn't yet.  I am looking to upgrade but unsure if I want a Weston, LEM, or the Cabela's Carnivore.  I think a 3/4 H.P. would be sufficient but also looking at the weight on these grinders, 50 lbs.  :yike: Instead of al the stuffer attachments I wish they provided more plates in different sizes.  A sausage stuffer is much better to use for stuffing than a grinder in my opinion.
I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2020, 06:38:37 AM »
We really liked our Cabelas grinder. It was in the $200 range and it was awesome! Wife recently smoked it by putting it together wrong. We picked up a grinder at WalMart to replace it on closeout for $50. Doubt it is as good as the Cabelas, but we shall see.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]