collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What'd you just say to me? 2020 - Episode #1  (Read 947 times)

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
What'd you just say to me? 2020 - Episode #1
« on: August 03, 2020, 10:41:57 AM »
As that most wonderful time of the year approaches (the September elk rut), I thought I'd get a few of these "What'd you just say to me" episodes a rolling and spark some elk discussion.

Day/Time: 15 SEP/0800
Tag/weapon: Bull only/stick n' string
Type hunt: Partner hunt

As you're making your way up an old game trail that runs/climbs along the sidehill of a huge timbered, with sporadic tall alder patches, draw, you decide to throw out a few soft cow mews to see if anybody is interested in chatting with you on this fine mid September morning. There is some fresh sign in the area but to this point, you have not heard any unsolicited elk chatter. You're approaching a benched area that has a few small meadows and at present time, you're about 1/4 of the way up the sidehill from the bottom on this ascending trail. You set your partner up just below the trail and climb the sidehill about 25 yards, knock an arrow, and throw out some soft whiny cow mews and calf chirps.

The formerly quiet hillside now seems to come alive. Below the trail, 80 yards or so farther up the draw, you hear a bull scream back w/chuckles. Immediatley after bull #1 makes his presence known, you hear some hard hitting grunts followed by a nasty challenge bugle above the trail from bull #2, farther up the draw perhaps 150 yards. As you make eye contact with your partner below the trail, he gives you hand signs that he sees three or more cows above the trail in the direction where bull #2 bellowed.

What could these fellas be talking about? After taking a stab at deciphering what these sounds may mean in the situation given, what are your options/plan to get a shot at one of the bulls?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 10:50:08 AM by WapitiTalk1 »
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
Re: What'd you just say to me? 2020 - Episode #1
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 10:59:45 AM »
Sounds like bull # 1 Just lost his cows and is chuckling at them saying hurry up.
I would drop down below bull #1 as long as thermals are blowing down hill and give some soft here I come cow calls then a wimpy bugle sounding like a smaller bull is keeping her from going to bull #1
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Online Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 11:05:41 AM »
I probably wouldn't call anymore in this situation. Start moving in closer. If I get within 40-50 without a shot, I'll bugle.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 11:14:25 AM »
Bull#1 one is likely a satellite bull that has been following the herd bull(#2) trying to steal cows.  You gave that sweet ready to mamba chorus away from the core cow group and he is trying to take advantage of the situation of cows being separated.   Bull #2 (herd) is not pleased about it. 

Tough call on that, you are separated from the cows which is good as less eyes on you and partner, plus that satellite and herd bull both think there are cows up for grabs.  Moving up would be a risk of getting caught moving by the cows.  Do not think going silent is a good idea, they are expecting more vocalization from your area.  Probably need to throw a few more cow calls out, some good whiny come get me calls, or maybe even go into calling to make it sound like a cow in distress/being taken.  That could drive the herd and or satellite into a frenzy and come hammering in.  Hopefully the satellite comes in 1st since he is closer and senses an opportunity to get himself a harem.

Get that joker down, then use the commotion to move up and go into a threat level 1 calling sequence on the second bull's cows.  If he has not left the area he should respond and come racing in to save his girls.  Drop him then call all your friends as it will be a long night with 2 bulls down!!
 :archer:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal