collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wife’s first hunt  (Read 2058 times)

Offline Meattoeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Wife’s first hunt
« on: August 04, 2020, 10:27:09 AM »
I’m not super new to hunting, but I’m by no means an expert. I’d put myself somewhere between knowing enough to sometimes see something and never getting to take a shot haha. But I love just being outside.

That being said I’m super excited that my wife wants to start coming and getting into it with me, which brings an issue. I tend to just go for it and end up in some nasty places with great views but not seeing much, I don’t want to ruin her first weekend out, or kill her with a ridiculous hike in. Hoping to just get somewhere nice and make breakfast/lunch and do some glassing and let her get a sense of what it is that makes hunting so great.

We are looking at heading into Teanaway and I’ve pinned a few places on ONX, but I’m not really sure if the places I’m looking at are decent or not, would anyone be willing to message me and I’ll send you the pictures and give me your opinions? If it was just me I’d be much more on the side of just going and checking it out but I’m asking for help more so to do my do diligence in making her trip something that leaves her excited for deer season and more seasons to come. Because that means more hunting for me:)

We will be taking our trailer and hoping to get a spot in twenty nine pines and drive to the trail heads and get off the trail from there.

Rocking just binos and a rifle.

All the advice is much appreciated.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
Re: Wife’s first hunt
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 11:02:42 AM »
Honestly, its not about the hunt as much as just getting her out there. Go explore, have fun and don't worry about the spots. As long as they are public get out there and have fun. Take plenty of snacks, water and make sure she is doing ok along the way.  :tup:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 11:08:37 AM »
If your wife is anything like mine....it's not about the hunting anyway!!  It is about being in the outdoors with you.   Don't push to hard and don't go brush busting and  you should be fine.  Find areas with good vantage points and glass.  My wife likes looking at all the nature so go slow and don't get frustrated when they want to stop and take pics of squirrels, birds, etc.  Find berries with water close by and you will find bears.  If you see a bear, shot or no shot, that will solidify the hunting experience.....My wife loves seeing wildlife.  Bears are super cool to watch in the wild.   :tup:  Good luck and give a report of how the hunt goes when you get back.   

Offline huntingaddiction

• Sasquatch
  • Scout
  • Eat, Sleep, Hunt!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 11:25:27 AM »
I would say be aware that she is really there because she wants to spend time with you in your element.  Remember that and don't take it too seriously.  Have fun!
A bad day out hunting is better than a good day at work!

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 11:35:11 AM »
Find somewhere with lots of berries right now and there should be bears. No need to get way off the beaten path.

Offline Meattoeat

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 12:24:59 PM »
I really appreciate all the help. And the reassurance to just take it slow and find somewhere nice and easy to sit and watch. I just know I get fixated on a ridge or a knob and will damn near kill myself getting there and want to make sure I calm it down so she has a good time.

I guess this brings me to a second question. If we do happen to be lucky enough to get a bear is it okay to keep him in coolers on fresh ice daily? And keep hitting the trails since there’s two of us and two tags? Or should we call it a trip if we get one early and just head home.

Admittedly my only success was last year with a late season black tail and it was cold enough we let him hang for the last day of season.

I’ll definitely be posting come Monday how our trip went. Thanks again guys really.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 12:29:43 PM »
I really appreciate all the help. And the reassurance to just take it slow and find somewhere nice and easy to sit and watch. I just know I get fixated on a ridge or a knob and will damn near kill myself getting there and want to make sure I calm it down so she has a good time.

I guess this brings me to a second question. If we do happen to be lucky enough to get a bear is it okay to keep him in coolers on fresh ice daily? And keep hitting the trails since there’s two of us and two tags? Or should we call it a trip if we get one early and just head home.

Admittedly my only success was last year with a late season black tail and it was cold enough we let him hang for the last day of season.

I’ll definitely be posting come Monday how our trip went. Thanks again guys really.

Cooler on Ice will be just fine.  If it cools at night you could take it of the ice for a couple hours and hange it to dry it out and then put it back on ice.  If it is a big heavy bear try to get the big muscle groups opened up and off the bone. 

Online HillHound

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 12:40:45 PM »
Put boards or something in the bottom of the cooler to keep the meat from sitting in water.

Offline Meattoeat

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 12:47:24 PM »
Put boards or something in the bottom of the cooler to keep the meat from sitting in water.

Haha this is all assuming she shoots a bear haha my hope is just to see one first.

Offline Meattoeat

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 08:14:01 PM »
Day one had some decent glassing and the wife enjoyed herself. Only
Glasses up one doe and a few turkey.

Hopefully tomorrow we find ourselves a better place for glassing but she’s slowly getting the itch to go further and see more. Plus it’s under 90° and pretty great hiking weather. Thanks for the advice.

Online HillHound

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 08:17:28 PM »
Glad you are seeing enough to keep her interested and wanting to see what’s around the next corner. You definitely hit the weather right. I’m headed back out for the weekend to see if I can fill my second tag.

Offline Meattoeat

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2020, 08:35:56 PM »
Glad you are seeing enough to keep her interested and wanting to see what’s around the next corner. You definitely hit the weather right. I’m headed back out for the weekend to see if I can fill my second tag.

Good luck!
Berrys are seeming to ribs almost to 3,000 feet here

Offline Meattoeat

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2020, 11:01:22 AM »
No luck for us, but the wife killed it on some harder terrain. Now I just got to scout and find some better places to take her so she’s not just lost in the woods with me  :chuckle:

That being said found some solid deer spots too so not all a bad trip

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal