collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 9mm Gold Dot ammo  (Read 2035 times)

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
Re: 9mm Gold Dot ammo
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2020, 11:35:17 AM »
I went back and forth with a guy that does testing for the FBI and a bunch of other LEO services. Specifically he tests how deadly specific rounds are, how they perform in various conditions, penetrate armor, etc...He recommended Winchester Ranger 127gr +p+ for 9mm. So that is what I use. For what it's worth.

Winchester Ranger is used by a number of law enforcement agencies.  I have a number of boxes of Ranger 9mm, and it is marked Law Enforcement Ammunition right on the box.
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2020, 12:01:41 PM »
I went back and forth with a guy that does testing for the FBI and a bunch of other LEO services. Specifically he tests how deadly specific rounds are, how they perform in various conditions, penetrate armor, etc...He recommended Winchester Ranger 127gr +p+ for 9mm. So that is what I use. For what it's worth.

Winchester Ranger is used by a number of law enforcement agencies.  I have a number of boxes of Ranger 9mm, and it is marked Law Enforcement Ammunition right on the box.

I use that in one of my handguns, but it doesn't load well in the other 9mm I have.  The bullets are a bit longer and different shaped than most and every once in a while it would hang up on the lip of the hollow point when feeding.  It's actually the only bullet that gun has ever had a problem with and I've probably put at least 20-30 different bullet types through it - factory and reloads shooting IDPA several years ago.

Offline stlusn30-06

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Wildlife Committee of Washington, BHA
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2020, 12:16:24 PM »

I use that in one of my handguns, but it doesn't load well in the other 9mm I have.  The bullets are a bit longer and different shaped than most and every once in a while it would hang up on the lip of the hollow point when feeding.  It's actually the only bullet that gun has ever had a problem with and I've probably put at least 20-30 different bullet types through it - factory and reloads shooting IDPA several years ago.

That is interesting. +p+ will also throw certain guns off, and many are not rated to run it. A lot of pressure, slide racks super fast. I've put a 150, or so, of them through my 19 w out issue. But good call out in general. Not everything acts the same. Get time in with what you are planning on carrying.
“There are people in my life who sometimes worry about me when I go off into the fields and streams, not realizing that the country is a calm, gracious, forgiving place and that the real dangers are found in the civilization you have to pass through to get there." - Gierach

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal