collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Calling Bears ??  (Read 17599 times)

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
Calling Bears ??
« on: August 11, 2020, 07:28:23 AM »
I have a small valley (maybe 300 acres) that holds bear....my trail cam proves it.  It is thick....thick....thick.  There are open areas, just not a log of them.  I called on two different attempts last week with no success. 

So....My question??  Can you overcall an area or should I continue to try and call?  I know bears are in the area and close.  I have trail cam pics of numerous bear....one huge one  :drool: :drool:.  Any tips would be wonderful.  Even if they involve other methods than calling. 

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
Re: Calling Bears ??
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 09:58:24 AM »
I would have no problem calling an area on multiple occasions. Due to the fact a bear could have been out of the area that day and back in the next. You could also try changing the call if you feel that might help to throw something different at them. There's times even during calling that changing the sound could spark there interest to get them committed. Just be ready at times they come running in when you least expect it.
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 07:49:20 AM »
I would have no problem calling an area on multiple occasions. Due to the fact a bear could have been out of the area that day and back in the next. You could also try changing the call if you feel that might help to throw something different at them. There's times even during calling that changing the sound could spark there interest to get them committed. Just be ready at times they come running in when you least expect it.

LOL....I have thought about the "running in" scenario many of time.  One of my calling areas had about 50 yards of road each way and a small opening to prepare.  I was hopeful I would hear them coming but thought about cleaning my pants if I didn't.... :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:   

I am using a 450 marlin guide gun with open sights.....If nothing else I can pull the trigger as it is running me over.   :yike:

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 09:27:36 AM »
I have many stories about calling and bears in general. Sometimes they come in kinda lazy and slow. Other times they are full run. Better not be afraid of bears. Most of the time you'll  come up empty. But knowing I have that chance. But when it happens it is very exciting. For those that are afraid of bears bring extra toilet paper.  :chuckle:
Over the years I relied on more of sound then visual of bears to have the success I have had even when calling. Most people aren't comfortable getting into close quarter areas with bears.
Shooting them at 6 steps is closer then most care to ever get. But its a rush that can't be beat.
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 09:47:27 AM »

Shooting them at 6 steps is closer then most care to ever get. But its a rush that can't be beat.

Amen!!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 10:10:59 AM »
6 feet.....   the 450 marlin along with the 454 casull on my chest.  If I get eaten at lest the person that finds me will have a couple nice firearms.   Maybe I should run a video to document my pooping my pants and possible death by bear.  Headed out now to try some more. 

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 10:11:54 AM »
I have a question for you calling veterans, I had a similar situation last night, Bear was down in an impossibly thick bottom, steep canyon walls each side, 200 yds canyon wall to canyon wall at the bottom. I stayed 60yds uphill to
Keep a vantage hoping he would come out somewhere. If I were to call, Would you guys call right on top of him or back up and out and call?
Just tend your own and live.

Offline Onewhohikes

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 12:07:56 PM »
Depends on your vantage point. If they are going to come a little further back isn't going to hurt.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 06:37:12 AM »
I’m on call attempt #8 or 10. I feel pretty confident some bears have at least heard me but the wind is never perfect. Might switch from fawn in distress to rabbit for awhile see if that works any better. I know one of these times it’s going to work but man I feel like I’m just scaring them away at this point.

Offline Bogie85

• Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/zbogatz
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 02:14:42 PM »
I am new to bear hunting and going out next week, where I have been scouting found a ton of bear scat and my trail cam has tooth marks to prove bear are there. The area is much like what is being described here. Super thick, with some areas of clearing. I was considering getting in a tree stand and calling them in and using my bow or my rifle. Any thoughts? Does getting up higher actually help?

Offline optic2

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
  • Groups: 2AF, FPC, GOA, BHA, RMEF
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 02:55:38 PM »
I use the ultimate predator calls app on my phone, hook it up to my bluetooth speaker, crank it up and place it about 50 yards away from me (both the phone and the bluetooth speaker). If it might rain I put them in a plastic grocery bag.

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 03:28:42 PM »
I use the ultimate predator calls app on my phone, hook it up to my bluetooth speaker, crank it up and place it about 50 yards away from me (both the phone and the bluetooth speaker). If it might rain I put them in a plastic grocery bag.

Nice.👍👍

Offline ThurstonCokid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2020, 03:33:17 PM »
Are you guys using fawn calls at this point in the year or rabbit? For coyote i usually use jackrabbit because it works so much netter than cotton tail lol...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bearmanric

• RIP Colockumelk
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
  • Tenino Wa
    • Rick Robbins  rrcalls
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2020, 03:40:11 PM »
Raspy or fawn plus elk.
RIP Colockumelk
Facebook rrcalls no website.

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2020, 04:48:12 PM »
I’ve been using fawn and changing it up between my three calls.  Two more stands today with nothing.   About 4-5 miles in with 2000 ft elevation change.   Currently sitting on a ridge between two watering hole with known bear activity.   Cross your fingers boys.....I’m feeling lucky tonight.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal