collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2020 Coyotes  (Read 15340 times)

Offline snowshoes22

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: 2020 Coyotes
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2020, 07:57:30 AM »
First with the 224 Valkyrie. 77gr Sierra tmk
"I'd rather have a slow hit than a fast miss"

Offline snowshoes22

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2020, 09:00:26 PM »
One more

Offline snowshoes22

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2020, 10:48:08 AM »
2 more

Offline pashok23

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2020, 07:12:13 PM »
Got 2 last Wednesday, my 16 year old son shot one(bigger one) both female's. First coyote was the smallest dog i ever killed

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2020, 03:11:32 PM »
270wsm to the back of the head.

Offline Levipowell

• Tracker
    • none
  • Groups: none
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2020, 11:05:42 AM »
Danggg looking good 8)
"Any animal taken with a bow is a trophy"

Offline birdshooter1189

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2020, 09:31:31 PM »
feature=youtu.be

This was about a month ago.  Finally got the video edited and uploaded.

Offline birdshooter1189

• Scout
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2020, 09:40:09 PM »
First called in coyote for me.  Eastern WA on the 28th, called in with foxpro inferno on public land.  Shot with 223 at about 150 yds.  1 shot, dropped in its tracks.  Photo is as it lay.

Offline Platensek-po

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2020, 09:41:33 PM »
feature=youtu.be

This was about a month ago.  Finally got the video edited and uploaded.

Cool video thanks for sharing!
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

Offline birdshooter1189

• Scout
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2020, 12:29:07 PM »
Got another one this morning.  An outer motion alarm went off near where I dumped some old spoiled eggs a couple days ago.  I got up and checked my shooting lanes, didn't see anything besides a couple ravens nearby. I thought maybe they tripped the alarm and I closed the window and was going to put the gun away and then the same outer alarm went off again.  I decided to go out and investigate. I've got a spot that gives me a vantage point in that area.  As I walked out the door of my house, my parent's untrained dog saw me from across the driveway and came charging over to see where the action was, she was charged up, hackles raised and ready for action.  I quietly tried to call her to me and keep her controlled so she wouldn't spoil my "hunt".  I managed to sneak to my vantage point with the dog right by me and thought i spotted a coyote at about 120 yds.  Where i was standing there was nothing to rest the gun against. I kneeled down and tried to get the video recorder running on my scope cam.  I must have had a bad connection or bad battery because it wouldn't turn on.  I decided to just run the scope cam without recording. I stood back up and tried to locate the coyote. I couldn't spot it in my 5" lcd screen, so i knelt back down and hastily took the camera off the back of the scope so i could just look through the scope.  There was a small stump pile nearby and I was able to extent the left bipod leg and brace that off a piece of the stump to steady the gun.  It wasn't great but it was the best I had.  There was a narrow window I had to look through the brush to where the coyote was.  I spotted the coyote again, this time walking away from me at about 175yds.

I got the crosshairs on it and pulled the trigger.  POW.....THWACK!  The coyote tumbles and spins a couple circles and disappears.  I load another shell and start sprinting towards where it was hit.  The dog quickly passed me up as she went charging ahead.  She caught scent trails before we got to where I thought i hit the coyote and she went charging back and forth in the brush on the sides of the "driveway".  I kept walking further up, looking for blood or disturbed ground.  Then I spotted blood. Lots of blood. I called the dog over and she went charging into the bushes to the right side of the driveway.  I spotted blood on a branch where the dog went in so i knew she was on the right trail.  I did my best to follow her through the 15' tall thick brush and trees.  She was charging around and then went quiet.  I called her and she came back to me.  I said "where is it?"  She went right back to where she had just come from.  I followed her a little further and she was standing over the dead coyote.  "Good dog" I said, "Maybe there's hope for you yet".  Then I drug the coyote out of the brush and took a some photos and gave my parent's dog some well deserved attention.

Shot with bolt action .223. 50 grain V-max loaded to 3200 fps.

Photo 1 is the blood splatter on the ground right behind where it was hit.
Photo 2 is the clean side of the coyote (guts and organs sucked out of a 4" diameter hole on the back side).
Photo 3 is looking through the scope from where I took the shot. Coyote was at the first mildot above the crosshairs when I fired.

This was coyote number 19 for me for 2020.  My wife got one this year while I was at work, so between us we got 20 coyotes in 2020.  It seems appropriate to make a goal of 21 coyotes for next year.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal