collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: High Buck - Some Observations  (Read 61114 times)

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: High Buck - Some Observations
« Reply #195 on: September 10, 2020, 06:40:58 AM »
Why is nobody mentioning the fact that wdfw(olves) partnered with conservation northwest to transplant all the problem Canadian wolves and grizzlys into our wilderness and they ate every last deer up there? Mainstream media and the hunting regs won't mention that! No sense in even going into a wilderness area in the summer, those things will literally eat your face off.

What the actual heck does this have to do with running crampons and running custom rig builds?

That's how the wolves and grizzlies got the deer, cnw outfitted them with crampons and the deer kept slipping and wdfw got them rigs with Ice ax bayonettes for increased efficacy.

Really?

You're running the word "efficacy"?
This is the back country.  You need to steep up to at least "efficaciousness".
Personally, this year I'm running the "performance", but when I spike, I'll just run my "capability".

Dang it, good thing I won't be up for the high hunt this year. I am clearly not ready for it again  :chuckle: thanks for keeping me from embarrassing myself in the woods like I just did on this board.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #196 on: September 10, 2020, 06:47:33 AM »
Why is nobody mentioning the fact that wdfw(olves) partnered with conservation northwest to transplant all the problem Canadian wolves and grizzlys into our wilderness and they ate every last deer up there? Mainstream media and the hunting regs won't mention that! No sense in even going into a wilderness area in the summer, those things will literally eat your face off.

What the actual heck does this have to do with running crampons and running custom rig builds?

That's how the wolves and grizzlies got the deer, cnw outfitted them with crampons and the deer kept slipping and wdfw got them rigs with Ice ax bayonettes for increased efficacy.

Really?

You're running the word "efficacy"?
This is the back country.  You need to steep up to at least "efficaciousness".
Personally, this year I'm running the "performance", but when I spike, I'll just run my "capability".

How does one "steep" up to efficaciousness. And how steep is it. Is it crampon/ ice axe steep. Or steeper like the high hunt.

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #197 on: September 10, 2020, 09:16:32 AM »
Man I need to steep up my backcountry vocabulary. I had to look up how to spell efficaciousness? Not sure it’s even right. Wow what a humbling experience I’ve spent a lot of time in Idaho and Montana wilderness but I am clearly not ready for the “high hunt” . Is there some kind of backcountry dictionary I can study? Can I “run” my green woolies up there as long as it’s part of a bigger system? Sounds like I need to build a new rig to run up there? I have just been using a 300 win mag it’s not a build and I use it but I need to learn how to run it as part of some of these bigger systems. Wow I have a lot to learn. Thanks for the pro tips fellas I might have gotten myself killed

Offline RockChuck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #198 on: September 10, 2020, 09:31:34 AM »
Wow.... it’s pretty obvious none of you are ready for the “high hunt” probably best to hang it up for the general season until you get your act together!

Offline Onewhohikes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #199 on: September 11, 2020, 06:06:06 AM »
Heading in bright and early tomorrow wish me luck!! LG here we come. :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL:

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #200 on: September 11, 2020, 11:01:58 AM »
Heading in bright and early tomorrow wish me luck!! LG here we come. :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL:

SAR has been notified.
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #201 on: September 11, 2020, 11:02:37 AM »

SAR has been notified.
:chuckle:

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #202 on: September 13, 2020, 07:10:34 AM »
You will do just fine :tup:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #203 on: September 13, 2020, 02:21:02 PM »
I glassed up some guys heading in cross country from my high rim rock perch yesterday. One guy appeared to be carrying his sleeping bag and a gallon of water. His pack must have been filled with other high hunt necessities.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #204 on: September 14, 2020, 02:31:41 PM »
I glassed up some guys heading in cross country from my high rim rock perch yesterday. One guy appeared to be carrying his sleeping bag and a gallon of water. His pack must have been filled with other high hunt necessities.

Watching people carry way too much gear may or may not be one of my favorite pasttimes in the back country.  Shadenfreude is alive and well in the darker parts of my mind.  :chuckle:

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #205 on: September 15, 2020, 07:05:43 AM »

Watching people carry way too much gear may or may not be one of my favorite pasttimes in the back country.  Shadenfreude is alive and well in the darker parts of my mind.  :chuckle:

It's almost as good as pulling up a lawn chair at the boat launch on the salmon opener.

I saw a guy carrying a twin mattress down from the necklace valley once....  a full mattress!
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #206 on: September 15, 2020, 08:05:02 AM »

It's almost as good as pulling up a lawn chair at the boat launch on the salmon opener.

I saw a guy carrying a twin mattress down from the necklace valley once....  a full mattress!

:yike:  :chuckle:  Some people just can't get live without the luxuries of home! I bet he slept good anyway.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline HikerHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, NWTF, NRA, WHEIA
« Reply #207 on: September 15, 2020, 08:59:32 AM »
Good for him bringing it back out!

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #208 on: September 15, 2020, 05:21:35 PM »

:yike:  :chuckle:  Some people just can't get live without the luxuries of home! I bet he slept good anyway.

In my experience the guys who feel they need to bring the most sleep stuff end up sleeping the worst. I bet it was miserable packing that thing in and out and he slept horrible on it.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #209 on: September 15, 2020, 05:42:30 PM »

I did, thank you!!
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand