collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: High Buck - Some Observations  (Read 61141 times)

Offline OPtrah

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Re: High Buck - Some Observations
« Reply #270 on: August 03, 2021, 08:25:34 AM »
I’m also really excited for my first year of the high hunt! I’ve been E-scouting like crazy and listening to a bunch of podcast. Hanes, Rogan, greentree, and the meat eater guy are my favorite. It’s so awesome how much useful information is out there these days. I’ve been reading through these forums and have found so many good place to hunt it. I love how people are into helping! I’ll be headed into the GPW a few days before the opener and will have plenty of gear stashed up in spider meadows so I can last the whole two weeks. Heard it’s beautiful up there in September. Probably will make a loop over to lake chelan and then back up rock creek. I think some guys have killed bucks in rock but not very many nice ones. Or should I maybe focus on the Entiat? Thought about taking my girlfriends horse up there.Do you guys usually pack out your human waste? I have a 20 gallon garbage sack hopefully that will be big enough to carry everything out, I can always use some of My back up socks. Any recommendations on scouting tips in the field? Should I be walking through the high meadows trying to jump deer and then shoot while they are on the run? If I see other people who get to a area earlier than me should I respect them or continue on doing what I had planned? Welp I’m looking forward to seeing all You guys at Phelps creek TH. Can’t miss me I have a lot of orange and am going to try out a pink/orange camo pattern. I did some research and it looks like deer have a hard time seeing the color pink and that it actually looks more green to them then the color green itself. Let’s all post about our time and experience after this years hunt I’m sure it will
Be memorable!!  :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL:

Offline phildobaggins

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • big buck big buck big buck
  • Groups: RMEF, MDF
« Reply #271 on: August 03, 2021, 08:53:47 AM »
I’m also really excited for my first year of the high hunt! I’ve been E-scouting like crazy and listening to a bunch of podcast. Hanes, Rogan, greentree, and the meat eater guy are my favorite. It’s so awesome how much useful information is out there these days. I’ve been reading through these forums and have found so many good place to hunt it. I love how people are into helping! I’ll be headed into the GPW a few days before the opener and will have plenty of gear stashed up in spider meadows so I can last the whole two weeks. Heard it’s beautiful up there in September. Probably will make a loop over to lake chelan and then back up rock creek. I think some guys have killed bucks in rock but not very many nice ones. Or should I maybe focus on the Entiat? Thought about taking my girlfriends horse up there.Do you guys usually pack out your human waste? I have a 20 gallon garbage sack hopefully that will be big enough to carry everything out, I can always use some of My back up socks. Any recommendations on scouting tips in the field? Should I be walking through the high meadows trying to jump deer and then shoot while they are on the run? If I see other people who get to a area earlier than me should I respect them or continue on doing what I had planned? Welp I’m looking forward to seeing all You guys at Phelps creek TH. Can’t miss me I have a lot of orange and am going to try out a pink/orange camo pattern. I did some research and it looks like deer have a hard time seeing the color pink and that it actually looks more green to them then the color green itself. Let’s all post about our time and experience after this years hunt I’m sure it will

Love the enthusiasm and excitement... no offense, but I hope you know what you're doing if you're trying to be out there for two weeks. Your post kinda makes it seem like it's your first time deer hunting. Be safe and make mental notes of the terrain and animals. :hello:

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #272 on: August 03, 2021, 09:01:40 AM »

Offline cooltimber

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #273 on: August 03, 2021, 09:38:07 AM »
spider meadows is 6 miles in,if i remember .pack horse r aplenty there..I used to head to mt maude..Big bucks and lots room to glass.id head there. after u enter the wilderness area there is a trail to the right ,head up to a basin then north.
rvn 69-70 11 b 2p 173rd
rmef
  2 ways to conquer and enslave a nation
      one's by sword,the other is by debt.
               John Adams

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #274 on: August 03, 2021, 09:56:57 AM »
After spending close to 15 years riding guiding and packing in the high hunt areas can honestly say never packed out human waste, take an etool/shovel dig a deep cat hole (2+ feet deep)at least 100 feet away from any water suppy/source (downhill) and throw a dirt cover over your daily deposits, but do bring out all non organic trash.
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline predatorG

• Ski Bum
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • BT's are making me crazy
« Reply #275 on: August 03, 2021, 09:58:24 AM »
Do you guys usually pack out your human waste? I have a 20 gallon garbage sack hopefully that will be big enough to carry everything out, I can always use some of My back up socks.

...One of my Montana hunting buddies has a similar story from when he took a guy out backpacking as part of a church thing...

The guy couldn't handle it, struggled making it back to the lake and supposedly started "feeling sick" the first night. After a night of him moaning and complaining, they headed down the next morning. Halfway down the trail head this dude says he needs to stop for a break. He stumbles into the brush and my buddy sits on the trail listening to the dude moaning and groaning for the better part of 20 minutes. Finally the guy stumbles back to the trail with a plastic bag and no socks, looks my buddy dead in the eye and whimpers, "Pack it in, Pack it out am I right?"
"All of my best elk hunts are the ones where I come home with a big buck!" -RadSav

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #276 on: August 03, 2021, 10:02:48 AM »

:chuckle: You have to pack your waste out, 20 gallon bag should be enough but make sure it’s the scented Glad Flex bags, easier to tie around your neck for the pack out.

Remember,

Just tend your own and live.

Offline Maybach Outdoors

• Hunter
« Reply #277 on: August 03, 2021, 10:07:48 AM »
Well for those that were planning or anticipating hunting the Paysayten unless you go in from the west side Panther Creek or  from the iron Gate area,, the Cub creek fire has  most access sites closed I.e. Billy Goat, Andrew's Creek, Thirty Mile, Cedar Creek Fire has  Hart's Pass, Robinson Creek closed about only way in the areas normally accessed via thes trail heads would be via the PCT at Rainey Pass, which is going to be one heck of a looooonnnnggg day in the sadlle

I wonder what these access trailheads are gonna look like come high buck... the ALW and GPW has great access folks :chuckle:

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #278 on: August 03, 2021, 10:55:28 AM »
Last time I was into Spider Meadows there was a pit toilet.  Should still be there as it was there for the 20 years I hunted there.  One tip I will give is take your gun with you when you use it.  Might find a need.  Don't throw trash in it as the FS doesn't like digging them out.

Offline OPtrah

• Pilgrim
« Reply #279 on: August 03, 2021, 11:05:04 AM »

:chuckle: You have to pack your waste out, 20 gallon bag should be enough but make sure it’s the scented Glad Flex bags, easier to tie around your neck for the pack out.

Remember,

Ok good that’s the type my girlfriend always buys

Offline OPtrah

• Pilgrim
« Reply #280 on: August 03, 2021, 11:14:15 AM »
 :chuckle: Ok ok all kidding aside….

My favorite high buck observation, and this is a true story, was a few years back I watched two guys rolling a deer down the mountainside in the upper Entiat burn. But the kicker is…this deer was cut in half… so two parts to a deer where being rolled down the hill and stopping at every down tree ( there was a lot). Ground was basically ash so you can imagine the dust cloud that was following along. It was truly amazing and I have never seen anything else like it.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
« Reply #281 on: August 03, 2021, 12:55:04 PM »

My favorite high buck observation, and this is a true story, was a few years back I watched two guys rolling a deer down the mountainside in the upper Entiat burn. But the kicker is…this deer was cut in half… so two parts to a deer where being rolled down the hill and stopping at every down tree ( there was a lot). Ground was basically ash so you can imagine the dust cloud that was following along. It was truly amazing and I have never seen anything else like it.

I saw one being dragged out by two guys.  They shot it over on the Chiwawa basin side and dragged it over the mtns to the Phelps Creek trail.  That was the dirtiest, nastiest looking deer I'd seen and figured all they salvaged from it was the antlers.  It also was cut in half and dragged down the trail.

Offline OPtrah

• Pilgrim
« Reply #282 on: August 03, 2021, 01:05:28 PM »

I saw one being dragged out by two guys.  They shot it over on the Chiwawa basin side and dragged it over the mtns to the Phelps Creek trail.  That was the dirtiest, nastiest looking deer I'd seen and figured all they salvaged from it was the antlers.  It also was cut in half and dragged down the trail.

That’s gotta be the same guys…sounds identical to what we witnessed. There wouldn’t be two different sets of hunting partners pulling off that maneuver…but, I’ve been wrong before.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
« Reply #283 on: August 03, 2021, 01:11:39 PM »
probably different years as my observation was a while ago.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #284 on: August 03, 2021, 01:11:59 PM »

That’s gotta be the same guys…sounds identical to what we witnessed. There wouldn’t be two different sets of hunting partners pulling off that maneuver…but, I’ve been wrong before.
"i don't like deer meat. Its gamey and gross" - Guys dragging deer halves
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw