collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Disabled Son's Deer Hunt: BUCK DOWN Y'ALL!  (Read 80422 times)

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
Re: Disabled Son's Deer Hunt: BUCK DOWN Y'ALL!
« Reply #270 on: October 18, 2020, 09:59:43 PM »
This thread was the best news I have seen in days.  :tup:
Great job Loch and family!
In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline Colville

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #271 on: October 19, 2020, 09:45:20 AM »
My son is Jealous Loc.  He's shot a couple does and has  yet to get a buck.  His athletics have kept him from getting much if any hunting time in the last 5 years!  May this be the first of many for you.  Trust me, you wont' be able to stand it waiting to be able to take someone else for their first time!  Congratulations to the whole family.

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #272 on: October 19, 2020, 12:11:02 PM »
That's a stud buck. Congratulations, Loch.  :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline jcarswel

• Pilgrim
« Reply #273 on: October 20, 2020, 05:30:08 PM »
What a day!  First off I have to thank you all for the support throughout this process.  All of you have been amazing and Loch has thoroughly enjoyed reading all of the comments during this time.  If I didn’t get your mailing address to send out a thank you letter from Loch sorry I missed that.  Please PM me your address that so we can get that out to you.  On to the hunt!
The family had met with Pinetar the weekend prior to the hunt and were able to see the deer that were roaming on the property.  This was so exciting for Loch and the entire family.  Loch was salivating over a couple bucks and we all absolutely enjoyed our time over the weekend.  Fast forward to this past Friday and Loch was able to have his uncle, two cousins and I along as we headed out for the weekend.  Loch wanted to give his family a sneak peek at the hunting property so we slipped over there Friday afternoon with Pinetar.  What we found was a noticeable reduction in animals.  Quite concerning!  The wind was whipping across the land and we assumed that the deer were hunkered down.  Our other assumption was that with the reduction in wind forecasted, the deer would be more active come Saturday morning.  We spent the remainder of the evening, relaxing and having a great family time.  The night was a restless one filled with silent prayers for a quality hunt and worry over what would take place in just a few short hours.  I think both my brother and I only were able to catch a couple hours of sleep.  In the dark of night the alarm clock sounded, signaling the end to our waiting game.  Loch was awake and seemed to completely ignore the lack of sleep he had to be suffering from, instead focusing on the task at hand.  We made sure he had all of his gear with him and that he had the necessary clothing to keep him warm in the chill of a windy early morning fall day.  We snatched a quick bite from the hotel continental breakfast and set out to meet Pinetar. 
When we arrived, we were greeted with the news that the animal situation had not in fact changed in any significant way.  There was a strange lack as if they knew it was dooms day for one of them.  One buck was enjoying an early snack, a 3 point with a broken main beam antler.  Loch got a good look at this one and was hesitant to take the first one he saw hoping that the others he had seen the previous weekend were somewhere out there still.  We worked to get Loch situated in a comfortable shooting position that would allow him to not put excessive stress on his right leg as well as get him into an advantageous shooting location, allowing him to see as much of the area as possible.  As the broken 3 point slowly meandered away from our location, you could hear the concern in Loch’s voice as he asked, “should I have shot that one?”  While masking our own concern, we tried to reassure him that there would be more chances. 
All of us continued to scan the area for any sign of activity… and soon we began to see hints of hope.  After seeing several doe begin to emerge and move, we found the buck Loch was looking for.  The big fella enjoyed the protection of the sage and seemed aware of the danger of exposing himself to Loch.  He revealed his white face and rack to us but kept his vitals hidden and protected by the foliage.  Loch had already made up his mind that this was his buck and we went to work finding his moment to shoot.  Back behind the gun he went and we began our shooting sequence once again, reminding him to breath, targeting area, squeeze, etc.  He remained patient, waiting for his moment, but the chess game turned as the buck did.  He headed back into the sage not giving Loch a chance to take advantage of his M*Carbo optimized trigger spring.  Just as we thought we were at the precipice of his first kill, the deer disappeared over a slight rise.  As disappointment crept in, his uncle saw that there was a collection of doe just on the other side of the rise.  Pinetar saw that it was time to try and reposition Loch into another area.  We slid out of the current location and slipped along the sage line, parallel with the buck’s line of travel.  We had a dirt mound that we aimed for that appeared to give Loch the chance to see into the clearing where we suspected that the buck had moved.  We snuck up onto the mound and saw what we hoped to find.  A group of does, along with Loch’s buck and one other legal buck.  They had us pegged from the get go but allowed us to set Loch up with his rifle.  The does slowly began to move away from us but the buck of choice remained in place, giving us a glimmer of hope.  The small 3 point got up, became concerned with what we were doing by the dirt and started to move.  Loch’s buck didn’t recognize the danger quick enough.  As he finally felt the peril he was in, he began to move away.  But by this time, Loch had his sights on him and was only waiting for his moment.  Loch had been given the green light when he had an opening and now it was up to him and his nerves to hold.  He continued to look for a window in the sage but there seemed to constantly be some obstruction.  As the buck slowly turned and began to severely quarter away from us, Pinetar reminded Loch to put his reticule slightly back on the bucks shoulder.  At what seemed the last instant before the buck turned away from us, the sound of the rifle broke the stress and silence of the moment.  From my vantage, all I could see was the body of the buck arch upward quickly before coming down and jerking to the side at a run.  Loch immediately chambered a round and secured the safety before looking back at me.  We reassured him that it was a good shot and he responded with an enthusiastic whisper, “sniper elite!” 
As we collected ourselves, and began to wait to begin tracking, we found the only solid knees and steady hands in the group were of the youngest member, the knees and hands of the stone cold rookie hunter himself.  After a short time, we approached the last seen location of the buck and found him a very short distance from where he began his bloody retreat.  Pinetar pointed out the glistening rack to Loch and we approached with caution, ready for the need to finish the job.  No such need was warranted though as it was apparent that Loch’s single round had done it’s job. 
Loch’s smile was unstoppable.  Celebrations began, photos were taken, prayers of thanks were lifted.  The buck was moved to a location to be gutted and Loch experienced his first field dressing.  Thanks to Rainshadow’s knife, Loch sliced and diced the buck, even experiencing the unfortunate consequence of poking a hole in the stomach and having the contents spray up onto his face. Sick!  Loch was on cloud nine, his face frozen in a wide smile throughout the rest of the day. 
The deer was skinned and delivered in the game bag to Woodhouse Smoked Meats!  The festivity continued into the evening as Loch, the deer slayer was celebrated and stories of the days heroics were told throughout the land!
Thank you again for everyone’s part in making this a lifelong memory for Loch and the entire family.  We are astounded by the support from the forum and hope to be able to pass this on to others in the future!

Josh

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #274 on: October 20, 2020, 05:37:58 PM »
That's awesome, congratulations!   :tup: :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #275 on: October 20, 2020, 05:43:48 PM »
Top notch shooting by a stone cold hunter. Welcome back to the westside....careful though cause must be a resurgence in pollen count as my eyes are bothering me all of a sudden.

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #276 on: October 20, 2020, 05:46:49 PM »
Great writeup Josh, great job Loch. No need a card for me, the smile on his face is all I need.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 08:11:22 PM by wadu1 »
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #277 on: October 20, 2020, 07:43:42 PM »
 :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: outstanding
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Pinetar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #278 on: October 20, 2020, 08:11:32 PM »
@hunt6226 - Just so you know, I really think Loch never took off them fancy bibs all weekend. In fact, he may have slept in them :chuckle:

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #279 on: October 20, 2020, 09:36:06 PM »
Congrats Loch that’s a fantastic buck!
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline jcarswel

• Pilgrim
« Reply #280 on: October 20, 2020, 10:22:35 PM »
I gotta include a shot of the elk sheds pinetar was nice enough to give to Loch. Amazing!

Offline elkboy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #281 on: October 20, 2020, 10:33:37 PM »
Fantastic! That is wonderful.  Congratulations, Loch.  And thanks and kudos to Pinetar and all involved.  The best kind of thread, for sure!   :tup:

Offline avidnwoutdoorsman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Groups: NWTF, PF, TU, DU, BCWF, NRA, BCH&A
« Reply #282 on: October 21, 2020, 05:17:17 AM »
"Sniper Elite!"

Way to go Loch, what a great story and wishing you much more success in the future.
Keep Calm Gobble On

Offline Henrydog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
« Reply #283 on: October 21, 2020, 06:19:54 AM »
Pretty freaking fantastic in everyway.   

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #284 on: October 21, 2020, 06:27:18 AM »
Very nice congrats on a fine animal!!!
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]