collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: ODFW Mulls Changing Eastern Oregon Archery Deer, Elk Hunts To Controlled Seasons  (Read 2518 times)

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
ODFW Mulls Changing Eastern Oregon Archery Deer, Elk Hunts To Controlled Seasons, Other Big Game Tweaks

https://nwsportsmanmag.com/odfw-mulls-changing-eastern-oregon-archery-deer-elk-hunts-to-controlled-seasons-other-big-game-tweaks/
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
I don’t see this passing!  “We”, the majority are totally against it.  I know a ton of hunters that feel very strong about this and oppose it. 
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline hughjorgan

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
It sounds like even if they go this route they will still be issuing enough tags for everyone.

Offline Ricochet

• Longhunter
It sounds like even if they go this route they will still be issuing enough tags for everyone.

But with the change, you'd have to pay the application fee instead of just buying the tag OTC.  I see it as a step toward doing away with all OTC tags.  Just like the proposal to change the Cascade bull season back to November.  It would result in a few successful years, especially if there was any snow during the season, but eventually it would slide back to what it was before the season change to October, bull escapement of 3-4 bull per 100 cows with only around 25% of the cows getting impregnated.  At that point I can see them changing that hunt to limited entry, with the season change being the first step in eventually justifying it.  It's about money.
It is not my duty to validate your delusions.

Offline KopperBuck

• Sourdough
I'd rather they make you declare archery/rifle. Allow higher tag allotments similar to like Heppner or Columbia Basin deer.

Offline 3dvapor

• Longhunter
They definately should make you pick your weapon.  The amount of hunters is crazy in certain units.

Offline snake

• Longhunter
They definately should make you pick your weapon.  The amount of hunters is crazy in certain units.
Careful what you wish for...

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
yeah, I said I was against this.
and no they shouldn't make you chose rifle or archery Washington does that, and dislike that. Oregon at least allows you to if not successful in Drawing a Controlled hunt pick up your archery tag, which is what Washington should do or go back to. OR if you don't like what you drew you could get an archery tag. If some units are hurting then make those units Controlled archery-only units for a while then change back but all that way.
I read too that Western hunters could still come east but not visa-versa and NO! I don't like that at all. Meaning if not drawn they could come here.
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Last year was an odd year I hope. There was 3 times the normal amount of hunters in the area I hunt, although only once did I run into someone in the timber.

Offline KopperBuck

• Sourdough
yeah, I said I was against this.
and no they shouldn't make you chose rifle or archery Washington does that, and dislike that. Oregon at least allows you to if not successful in Drawing a Controlled hunt pick up your archery tag, which is what Washington should do or go back to. OR if you don't like what you drew you could get an archery tag. If some units are hurting then make those units Controlled archery-only units for a while then change back but all that way.
I read too that Western hunters could still come east but not visa-versa and NO! I don't like that at all. Meaning if not drawn they could come here.

I lived in and still hunt WA, I know the rule. And believe it or not, a ton of people support this. Both archery and rifle hunters. It'll help with the backlog of point creep in rifle categories, it will assist in ensuring there are more bought-in archery hunters, prevent overcrowding in OTC archery units....

There are OTC rifle hunts, FYI. Not just archery. And you can even hunt branched bulls.

Regarding the other stuff, I'm not even sure what you're trying to say. Anyone in OR can hunt anywhere as long as the unit is open to them, regardless of side of state. That is a WA thing that I do not want, nor will it ever fly. I've personally hunted 2nd bull season in Western OR when I didn't draw a controlled tag. There's lots of opportunity. Oh... I think LOP tags shouldn't result in a point banked either :yike: :yike: And I get LOP tags every year!

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
https://myodfw.com/articles/big-game-review

NEW APPROACH FOR ARCHERY DEER: ODFW will propose that all archery deer hunting be controlled in Eastern Oregon for 2021. This change from a statewide general season with unlimited tags to controlled hunting in Eastern Oregon with limits on tags is necessary due to continued mule deer population declines. Mule deer populations have declined by nearly 50 percent in the last 40 years and having no limits on archery harvest is no longer a responsible management approach. Archery deer hunting in Western Oregon will continue as a general season opportunity.

POTENTIAL ARCHERY ELK SEASON CHANGES DELAYED UNTIL 2022: The popularity of archery elk hunting in Eastern Oregon has led to significant management challenges in many wildlife management units. ODFW has collected extensive hunter input to develop changes initially being proposed for the 2021 archery elk season which would have also moved Eastern Oregon archery elk to controlled hunting. While these significant management issues need to be addressed, based on hunter input received, staff want to further refine proposed changes, collect additional information on archery hunter preferences around those changes, and expand involvement across all hunters. A significant component of balancing the proposal is to achieve equitable opportunity. ODFW does plan on proposing changes for the 2022 eastern Oregon archery elk season, but the proposals will be taken to the Commission for consideration in 2021 at a time that does not overlap with archery season.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
Stuff like this never makes any sense. Just puts one weapon group against the other.  Here's the actual statistics:

Last year 1,896 bucks were taken in eastern OR units OTC archery season by 13,363 hunters for a 14% success rate. 9,995 bucks were taken in the permit rifle season for the eastern units by 38,269 rifle hunters for a 26% success rate.  Eliminating OTC archery and making it permits-only isn't going to have the effect that some seem to be assuming.....rifle hunters outnumber the archery guys 3 to 1 and have almost twice the success rate. Rifle hunters harvested 527% more bucks than the OTC archery guys in eastern Oregon units last year.  Changing archery to permit-only isn't going to have any effect on the mule deer herds.  It's a political issue to appease the rifle hunters doing all the complaining.....

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
Stuff like this never makes any sense. Just puts one weapon group against the other.  Here's the actual statistics:

Last year 1,896 bucks were taken in eastern OR units OTC archery season by 13,363 hunters for a 14% success rate. 9,995 bucks were taken in the permit rifle season for the eastern units by 38,269 rifle hunters for a 26% success rate.  Eliminating OTC archery and making it permits-only isn't going to have the effect that some seem to be assuming.....rifle hunters outnumber the archery guys 3 to 1 and have almost twice the success rate. Rifle hunters harvested 527% more bucks than the OTC archery guys in eastern Oregon units last year.  Changing archery to permit-only isn't going to have any effect on the mule deer herds.  It's a political issue to appease the rifle hunters doing all the complaining.....
I've yet to run into a rifle hunter that really cared about archery deer hunting in September. Mule deer numbers are declining and they feel they need some control over the number of permits to regulate harvest, it's a logical step. Should hell freeze over and they allow hound hunting again, along with some active management of wolves, the deer numbers might see some improvement. It's sad things come to this but it's a sensible thing to do.

For elk I wish they'd adopt Idaho's model of pick a zone of 3-4 units before going to draw only. The inundation of Portland hunters every fall has been a major point of contention since I was kid in the 90's. They can commit to hunting on just the east side or stay over by the sewer known as the I-5 corridor.

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
This idea has been postponed until 2022...   just a update! 

I hunt a OTC unit for any bull any buck.  Archery. 

I rarely see another hunter, and if I do they only have a deer tag, and there is a ton of elk.   I absolutely love it compared to Washington. 
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline Ricochet

• Longhunter
Only the elk hunt decision has been delayed, the latest release from the ODFW says the archery deer decision will go before the commission on Sept. 11.  As a lifelong Oregon resident I can count on one hand all the times the Commission has decided against a recommendation from the ODFW so I would bet it's a done deal, like it or not.
As one who is old enough to remember buying an OTC buck tag that was good statewide for any weapon during the corresponding season, this is just another small step toward the elimination of OTC tags.  Those application fee dollars are important.
It is not my duty to validate your delusions.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal