collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: F-150 canopy thoughts  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
F-150 canopy thoughts
« on: August 17, 2020, 12:17:57 PM »
I'm close to pulling the trigger for a canopy for my 2016 F-150 and thought I would put out a feeler to make sure I'm not missing anything.  I'm sure someone else might find this useful too.

I need a Windoor (tip out side window) because I always use the one on my old truck and don't want to have to crawl in there to get stuff up against the cab.  This limits the models because the top end models have "SUV style" side windows that are frameless but can't open out. They do look nicer, but I'm not willing to trade function for looks.

That left me looking at the models with the frameless rear window but framed side windows.  Here are the models I looked at from the big three (ARE, Snugtop and LEER).  The big thing is the F-150 super thick tailgate, this makes the rear window different from pretty much every other truck out there and was a big consideration.

Snugtop Rebel - The big thing I didn't like about this one was that the back window was completely flat which results in a huge shelf over the big tailgate the Fords have.  I know a guy with one and he really likes it and another that hates Snugtop (pretty much standard for every brand and model - they all have haters and lovers).

ARE CX Evolve - This one has a tailgate formed back window that is molded to the shape of the tailgate so no big lip or ledge like the other two.  The hinges are bonded to the underside of the glass, so the back window is completely frameless and blank except the single latch which looks great.  They look the best by far, but several YouTube videos show a huge flaw in the back window latch - you can stick your hand between the glass and tailgate and open it when locked - a dealbreaker in my opinion.  The rear window also looks a bit flimsy, it flexes quite a bit.  It is also the most expensive, about $400 more than the other two for the base model.

LEER 100XR - This one has a back window kind of midway between the first two, rounded but not completely matching the tailgate like the ARE, so there is a shelf but it is smaller than the Snugtop.  The minus is they don't come with carpet headliner, it's an extra $150.

The options are similar cost with all three and all three have factory promos every month I can use.  I have settled on getting the tilt out sliding front window, two Windoors on the side and carpeted headliner.  I'm pretty sure I can add an aftermarket keyless entry for about $100 as well as any extra interior lighting I want for far cheaper than factory.

I don't have anything I want to carry on top, so I don't need the reinforced top or racks.

At this point, I'm leaning heavily to LEER and there are two dealers near me, Canopy World in Edmonds or Rain Cap in Bellingham.  Rain Cap is $115 cheaper and they also offered a potential loaner canopy if it isn't in before I need it for a hunt which is pretty generous.

Anything I missed or any experience with either of the two dealers is welcome.

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
Re: F-150 canopy thoughts
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 12:24:05 PM »
Bellinghams tax rate is alot less than Edmonds
Edmonds 10.1%
Bellingham 8.7%
So if the quote you got is pretax there will be even more savings
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline follow maggie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
Re: F-150 canopy thoughts
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 07:53:21 PM »
I have the Leer you mentioned on my Chevy and I like it a lot. I’ve had it 2-1/2 years now. It’s never leaked and I don’t get dirt inside the back.

Offline Booner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
F-150 canopy thoughts
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 08:31:13 AM »
Did you check Super Hawk in Marysville?

I have a Rebel (sliding windows) and am very happy with it. Only issue I have had is with water getting through around the fold down window (canopy window against the cab). This really only seems to occur when driving highway speed in downpour.

Highly recommended integrated lock with truck remote. I didn't do this but wish I had.

Edit...BTW- I have this installed on a 2016 F 150. Canopy has been installed for 4 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal