collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WDFW 2021-23 Hunt proposals  (Read 12468 times)

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
Re: WDFW 2021-23 Hunt proposals
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2020, 08:44:39 AM »
A 1x scope with a nice reticle, dot, etc., gives the hunter faster and more precise target acquisition.  Not an eye sight issue at all.  Plus a quality 1x lets you aim both eyes open.

Zeiss Victory V8
Ya it kinda sounds like a modern firearm.
If I said you can put a scope on your muzzle loader but now have to hunt modern firearm season how would you feel.

Really at that point, I don't know why anyone would bother with modern firearm. Unless you consistently need to take shots over 250yds. Which if you "need" to do, is another discussion. We just aren't talking about the muzzle loading equipment of even 25 years ago. To get your own special season in prime conditions, there should be a bigger challenge on the table then a scoped 200yrd shot being the limiting factor.
The main reason I can think of for someone to stay modern in that case is to hunt units that don't have an early muzzy season.  (I'm assuming the person doesn't have conflicts with dates for other things.)

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2020, 09:28:44 AM »
For my way of thinking, all the more reason to leave muzzleloader equipment restrictions status quo.  I would like to see a couple more units added to the late season in region 1, though.

Offline ibuyre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, SAF
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2020, 06:05:38 PM »
On the whole letting people put scopes on ML. I said no, and that I would rather that they included old 1890s single shot black powder rifles in the ML before they start letting people put scopes on them. To me that's more in the theme of a primitive weapon than even the 209 inlines.  Break out the old trapdoors and rolling blocks.

Offline ibuyre

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, SAF
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2020, 06:10:37 PM »
I really hate how they dangle .223 for deer, but also include a note that they'd limit magazine size if they did that.  I hunt with 20 round mags in my .308 all of the time, I've never shot more than 2x at something and usually only load it up half way.  I do not want to be made a criminal for not wanting to buy another magazine.  This is a dirty trick...
I noticed that and said I hunt with 223 in other states and would like to see it hear. BUT the mag restriction idea I am against and that I have never taken more than 2 shots. BUT I normally hunt with a 20rd mag, because that is what is common and readily available. Don't make people have to go buy something that they can't find, that won't be reliable because it's a one off mag made to meet your requirement.

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2020, 06:11:01 PM »
Like having a scopes crossbow. Keep that option available, but it needs to be in mf seasons

Offline fireweed

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2020, 07:49:49 AM »
This is in boundary proposals: moving Norway pass elk are to Loowit Unit (which is a closed to hunting unit except for elk/goat permit hunters).  When Weyco closed down the WDFW tried this with before--they proposed to move all the North Monument to the Loowit and have permmits for elk.  This closes 5000 acres of public land to deer, bear, grouse, predator hunting.  I screamed and jumped up and down on this forum and with folks at the WDFW.  Ultimately, the Norway pass area was kept in a hunting unit (Margaret).

Now they are proposing to do this again as one of their options! ITs in boundary changes and elk proposals. Make sure to comment that the Norway Pass unit needs to be open to other forms of hunting by staying in Margaret, or Changing rules in Loowit.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2020, 07:52:15 AM »
This is in boundary proposals: moving Norway pass elk are to Loowit Unit (which is a closed to hunting unit except for elk/goat permit hunters).  When Weyco closed down the WDFW tried this with before--they proposed to move all the North Monument to the Loowit and have permmits for elk.  This closes 5000 acres of public land to deer, bear, grouse, predator hunting.  I screamed and jumped up and down on this forum and with folks at the WDFW.  Ultimately, the Norway pass area was kept in a hunting unit (Margaret).

Now they are proposing to do this again as one of their options!  Make sure to comment that the Norway Pass unit needs to be open to other forms of hunting by staying in Margaret, or Changing rules in Loowit.

Good point to make!  :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2020, 08:19:59 AM »
On the whole letting people put scopes on ML. I said no, and that I would rather that they included old 1890s single shot black powder rifles in the ML before they start letting people put scopes on them. To me that's more in the theme of a primitive weapon than even the 209 inlines.  Break out the old trapdoors and rolling blocks.
I don't know if anyone on here has been to Utah on their early ML hunt, but it's crazy. They've virtually done away with any restrictions on equipment and it's as popular and as crowded as the modern rifle hunt. Many of the hunters there claim they are accurate out to 300-400 yards.  I'm no expert on it, but I don't see any reason to have an early hunt or reason to give any advantage to hunters using these types of updated muzzleloaders. Allowing optics is the first step in opening up to the ML hunt to becoming a single shot high powered rifle hunt.Big no for me on that one

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal