collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Diesel truck alternatives  (Read 3596 times)

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Diesel truck alternatives
« on: August 31, 2020, 02:08:18 PM »
I want a diesel truck, 3/4 ton or larger preferred but they are so ungodly expensive...

My sailboat is a displacement of 6800lbs so fully loaded if say its in the 7500-8000lbs range... Its just under 28 foot and its a big 27 footer, dont have a trailer yet but thats in the works and i plan on having the boat for quite a while as ive fully rebuilt it and cant buy a better boat for the money.

This tow rig needs to be 4 wheel drive, have a decent cab, something that can haul good but also be a driver for longer trips and hunting and stuff....

Im not sold on a pickup yet and im exploring other rigs like vans, maybe convert an old ambulance to an rv, box truck, delivery truck, maybe a used semi, who knows.... What is out there with a diesel engine that would work? School bus? The idea of having a mobile tiny house and the boat on a trailer appeals as it would allow us to travel to areas we could splash the boat and go cruise. Some of the places we are thinking of checking out are the great lakes, Florida/Bahamas/Caribbean, Nova Scotia, Atlantic coast, maybe even south america

These are just ideas now but I thought id see what yalls could come up with

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Diesel truck alternatives
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 02:13:53 PM »
8k isn't a huge load to tow, you can easily get 1/2 ton trucks rated 9-10k which would do it, 2020 F-150s go up to 13,200 pounds.  A 3/4 ton for sure would handle it.

It also depends on what type of hauling you do.  I tow my boat primarily about 20 minutes to a launch down I-5.  That's much different than dragging it over mountain passes every weekend or up and down big hills.

I wouldn't consider a diesel for 8k.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 02:41:24 PM »
I don't have any experience with rigs like this, but I've been researching because I will be due for an upgrade soon. I originally was looking at 3/4 ton diesels, but have since started looking at 3/4 ton gas engines instead. They are on average 10-15k cheaper, have similar horse power, just less torque. For something in the 8000# range, I think you're more than fine with a 3/4 ton gas engine, and like Stein said, even some of the newer 1/2 tons would probably do it just fine. If I was going to tow long distances though, I'd probably go with the 3/4 ton.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline stlusn30-06

• Hunter
  • Groups: Wildlife Committee of Washington, BHA
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 02:58:35 PM »
What is your budget?
“There are people in my life who sometimes worry about me when I go off into the fields and streams, not realizing that the country is a calm, gracious, forgiving place and that the real dangers are found in the civilization you have to pass through to get there." - Gierach

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 03:13:51 PM »
8k isn't a huge load to tow, you can easily get 1/2 ton trucks rated 9-10k which would do it, 2020 F-150s go up to 13,200 pounds.  A 3/4 ton for sure would handle it.

It also depends on what type of hauling you do.  I tow my boat primarily about 20 minutes to a launch down I-5.  That's much different than dragging it over mountain passes every weekend or up and down big hills.

I wouldn't consider a diesel for 8k.

Howabout this.....im a diesel mechanic and believe in the mechanical superiority of a diesel engine? In sold on diesel and nothings gonna change that.

My girlfriend is a chef and has access to a good supply of used cooking oil which you can run in damned near any diesel except the new common rails which I wouldnt advise doing but technically wouldnt hurt

There will be lots of mountain driving as my property where im going to build my house is on Stevens pass up by the ski area

I had a buddy make it to Utah in a school bus on 9$ of actual diesel fuel because they ran used cooking oil on the thing
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 03:33:10 PM by Night goat »

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 03:22:54 PM »
What is your budget?

Dont have one currently....thats why I made this post to give me an idea of whats out there

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 04:19:59 PM »
I downgraded from a 1999 1 ton with a 7.3  with a little over 437,000 miles to a 2015 3/4 ton 6.7 Powerstroke  and with the newer one I am WOW impressed with the difference in power and ability to pull the grades.  One of the reasons I downsized was the cost of licensing the 1 ton verses the 3/4 ton here in WA.  With the newer trucks you're going to have to either cope with the DEF every time you turn around or do a Delete and if you live on the wet side forget that because of needing the annual emissions inspections  Doing a delete will run you just shy of $1700.00 for parts then the cost of labor unless you do it yourself,  the kit I got boost horse power from 440 to a little over 650 and no idea on the increase in torgue.
I understand that Ford is now putting Diesels in their F150's but as you stated new trucks cost an ungodly amount, darned near buy a house for the cost of a new 350 check for used but not abused 2015/2016 with the 6.7
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 10:09:31 AM by Jingles »
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 04:22:17 PM »
30k GVWR, under 100k miles and only $5,500.  Plenty of room for living quarters, it's even converted to an RV title and comes with a Skoolie how to book.  It might need a hitch, but should tow the boat no problem.

https://skagit.craigslist.org/cto/d/mount-vernon-2002-thomas-bus-perfect/7186636180.html

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 07:04:59 AM »
I downgraded from a 1999 1 ton with a 7.3  with a little over 437,000 miles to a 2015 3/4 ton 6.7 Powerstroke  and with the newer one I am WOW impressed with the difference in power and ability to pull the grades.  One of the reasons I downsized was the cost of licensing the 1 ton verses the 3/4 ton here in WA.  With the newer trucks you're going to have to either cope with the DEF every time you turn around or do a Delete and if you live on the wet side forget that because of needing the annual emissions inspections  Doing a delete will run you just shy of $1700.00 for parts then the cost of labor unless you do it yourself,  the kit I got boost horse power from 440 to a little over 650 and no idea on the increase in torgue.
I understand that Ford is now putting Diesels in their F150's but as you stated new trucks cost an ungodly amount, darned near buy a hose for the cost of a new 350 check for used but not abused 2015/2016 with the 6.7
no more emissions testing state wide.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2020, 07:24:50 AM »
You sound pretty handy, especially with diesels. 90s era crewcab 1 ton, long bed, diesel, and work your magic. A camper set up can come later, if needed.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2020, 07:51:06 AM »
GAs??  NO.  Long distance to florida will be a $$ load of gas used compared to diesels.  I just bought 2020 Ram diesel.  Awesome.  My old 2006 Dodge 5.9 was great as well.  I reccommend a older Dodge 5.9 with a manual trans if ya can find one.  mpg and reliability will be great and towing an 8000lb boat will be no issue.  I would not tow a big boat down freeway at 65mph with any light duty truck.  More to towing then HP/engine..
MAGA!  Again..

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2020, 09:27:39 AM »
For those looking at a 1/2 ton versus a 3/4+ ton when towing, forget the power plant for a minute and take a look at the difference in the brake calipers.  1/2 tons are great for picking up a couple things at home depot for the apartment, they aren't built for serious towing.   

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2020, 09:48:51 AM »
For those looking at a 1/2 ton versus a 3/4+ ton when towing, forget the power plant for a minute and take a look at the difference in the brake calipers.  1/2 tons are great for picking up a couple things at home depot for the apartment, they aren't built for serious towing.   
As some one whom has hauled  plenty of trailer miles i will agree that caliper size is important. HOWEVER, the trailer your towing over 6klbs is mandated to have some kind of trailer brakes. The only time my big  one ton disks got smoked was a heavy load and the e brakes went out. If i had an ehaust brake i would have been ok.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline stlusn30-06

• Hunter
  • Groups: Wildlife Committee of Washington, BHA
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2020, 11:11:31 AM »
What is your budget?

Dont have one currently....thats why I made this post to give me an idea of whats out there

Well. I know you're after alternatives, but I was in this position about 5 years ago. I ended up buying a 97 Dodge Ram 2500 with a 12valve cummins, mechanical injection, 4WD, Manual transmission. cost of ownership is minimal. Not cheap, not crazy expensive. I traveled to Idaho to get mine. I would've flown anywhere in the country for rust free, and I was after less than 100k on the odo. If you can find something that has been super well maintained with records, and not stored in the sun, I'd buy anything w less than 250k on it. Bullet proof. 22 miles to the gallon on flat highways at 60 mph. 17mpg doing 85 from Seattle to Montana.
“There are people in my life who sometimes worry about me when I go off into the fields and streams, not realizing that the country is a calm, gracious, forgiving place and that the real dangers are found in the civilization you have to pass through to get there." - Gierach

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2020, 11:29:41 AM »
What is your budget?

Well. I know you're after alternatives, but I was in this position about 5 years ago. I ended up buying a 97 Dodge Ram 2500 with a 12valve cummins, mechanical injection, 4WD, Manual transmission. cost of ownership is minimal. Not cheap, not crazy expensive. I traveled to Idaho to get mine. I would've flown anywhere in the country for rust free, and I was after less than 100k on the odo. If you can find something that has been super well maintained with records, and not stored in the sun, I'd buy anything w less than 250k on it. Bullet proof. 22 miles to the gallon on flat highways at 60 mph. 17mpg doing 85 from Seattle to Montana.

I am a huge fan of the Dodge cummins, Ive owned 5 of them. the only problem with the older mechanical sticks is the 5th gear get pulled off towing heavy loads. I stripped it off 3 times before trading in on the 6 speed stick which is super, and I belive you could stuff one of those in an older dodge. 

Bang for the buck if you can re-purpose some kind of heavy diesel and have it registered as a recreational vehicle then lots of school buses, or military surplus vehicles could do quite nicely, but that is an investigation to Motor vehicle law than what kind of vehicle is best for your purposes.

Im imagining a a convered bus of some sort that has been modified to carry your sail boat. granted it would have to be slung on and off, but depending on how often and where it will be used may not be that hard to accomplish for a VERY reasonable sum.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2020, 04:33:37 PM »
When it comes to licensing,  my 2008 WR250 dual sportcost me more to license then my 2014 Ram 3500, and I'm on the west side, it Tacoma.

And no more emissions in WA state.

Mine is chipped, straight 4" exhaust coming off the turbo,, man dows it sound beefy now, and the power is awesome,  not that it has a lack of power stock, but the RACEME tuner can add up to 200hp, but keep mine in default mode, 60 hp..... you can hear the turbo spool at idel.......  :tup:
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2020, 11:31:21 AM »
Yeah brakes are very important. Something about having a heavy rig that isnt gonna get squirrely with a big tall trailer makes me feel better.

When i was crabbing we used to haul a flatbed with 200+ coast pots behind a 12 valve dually and it worked great except the suspension was so damned stiff you felt every pothole

Too bad dodge and allison never got together or even if gm resurrected detroit diesel badging enough to make an on-highway pickup engine.

Id consider something with like a 4-53 Jimmy or the 12 valve or 3116 cat or similar.

Its gonna be a while was more or less trying to come up with some ideas of things to look for other than a pickup truck.

On a trailer my boat is Probably going to sit 12-13 foot high because it has a deep keel. It draws 4.5 feet of water then from waterline its another 5 or 6 foot to the cabin top and its 8 foot wide just to give an idea of what id be dealing with. I gotta find a good trailer first though.

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2020, 02:03:45 PM »
Yeah brakes are very important. Something about having a heavy rig that isnt gonna get squirrely with a big tall trailer makes me feel better.

When i was crabbing we used to haul a flatbed with 200+ coast pots behind a 12 valve dually and it worked great except the suspension was so damned stiff you felt every pothole

Too bad dodge and allison never got together or even if gm resurrected detroit diesel badging enough to make an on-highway pickup engine.

Id consider something with like a 4-53 Jimmy or the 12 valve or 3116 cat or similar.

Its gonna be a while was more or less trying to come up with some ideas of things to look for other than a pickup truck.

On a trailer my boat is Probably going to sit 12-13 foot high because it has a deep keel. It draws 4.5 feet of water then from waterline its another 5 or 6 foot to the cabin top and its 8 foot wide just to give an idea of what id be dealing with. I gotta find a good trailer first though.

This could be quite the feat of redneck engineering but here is to thinking outside of the box...

Take some long framed vehicle like a bus or box truck with just a cab. Move the drive axle in front of the skegg and put a drop swivel axle at the end of the frame. That way the cradle pads could be closer to the frame and the Skeg could drop between the frame rails. lowering the overall height keeping it easily under the 14' requirement and keeping your center of gravity lower.   :twocents:

Just my rambling thoughts of how ot do this with out opening up your wallet too much.  :chuckle:

Confucius

Offline dyhardhuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2020, 08:48:56 PM »
Find yourself an older freightliner FL 70 with a 3126e cat motor in it. They have Allison’s in them. You’ll have plenty of brakes if you can find one with hydraulic brakes. Heck it might even have an exhaust brake on it. That’ll tow anything you throw at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline yorketransport

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2020, 09:12:51 PM »
If you want something a little different, you could pick up an old stepvan and work with that. I've spent a lot of time in International and Freightliner P1000s (full size UPS/FedEx trucks) and I've grown pretty fond of them. You can pickup used International P1000s (up to about 2003 when International quit making them) with a T444E and an Allison tranny for pretty good prices. I sold my last 2003 for $6K with 260,000 miles on it. They're great for converting to shop trucks or a camper. If you aren't afraid a project you can pickup some of the older Internationsals with the 5 speed Spicer transmission and a 7.3L IDI, for around $2500 if you shop around.

Or if you wanted something newer/nicer you could grab a Freightliner MT45 and convert it to a camper/RV. They ride nicer than the MT55 but still have plenty of capacity for what you're doing.

Browse online classified adds for used FedEx trucks and you'll find all kinds of trucks like this.

Offline UpperleftPNW

• Tracker
  • Groups: None
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2020, 11:53:23 AM »
Personally I would bite the bullet and just pick up a decent truck.

The reason I say you should get a truck is because of the versatility. You can daily drive it every day in the city, then get home after work and throw a truck camper on it and hook up your trailer and you are ready for vacation. Sure you could save some money and get a bus or an ambulance but then you have a big project to finish and a vehicle that wont make a great daily driver or have as much re-sale value as a truck when it comes time to sell.

I got a 05 Duramax a few years back with 180k on the clock for around $17k. To me this was an expensive vehicle, but I have had 75k trouble free miles with no sign of stopping. I do put about $1500 in upgrades and maintenance into the truck each year just to ensure it lasts many more miles. It did suck dropping this kind of cash on a old high miles truck but now that it's paid off and it's my second vehicle so it doesn't get many miles on it, it has been pretty cheap to own and use as a weekend rig.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]