collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Deer Cape in the freezer  (Read 3280 times)

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
Deer Cape in the freezer
« on: November 25, 2020, 06:10:31 PM »
How long can I store my Cape in the Freezer.  Buck was killed Saturday in Montana,  went straight to the meat processor,  they capped it and froze it with my meat . Picked it up Monday night and drove home yesterday and put it in my freezer . Its wrapped in a garbage bag now . Looking for a local Taxidermist now , but with Thanksgiving and all might be next week before I get it to one .
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Deer Cape in the freezer
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 06:33:59 PM »
Taxidermist will leave in freezer for weeks/months anyway until prepped for tanning.   No hurry.

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 10:14:02 PM »
Taxidermist will leave in freezer for weeks/months anyway until prepped for tanning.   No hurry.
Figured as much , but talking to my buddy on the way home from Montana he said dont leave it in to long because the ears will freezer burn.  But he couldn't tell me what to long is  :chuckle:
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 10:38:21 PM »
Put it in a heavy garbage bag to keep air flow off it in freezer and good for 6-8 months.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 11:10:46 PM »
 When freezing, lay it out on the belly, fold the split down the back to but up like it’s to be zippered. Fold the ears in and then fold the nose over the ears, continuing to fold all the way back.

Put in a garbage bag and freeze. I double bag but it’s likely overkill.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 03:49:08 AM »
I know several taxidermist and none of them freeze raw unprepped capes for months. If you bring it in frozen they immediately will thaw and get it prepped.

You are fine for now, I’d shy away from keeping it in freezer for a long time.

Offline BlackRiverTaxidermy

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Joel - Owner/Taxidermist
    • BlackRiver Taxidermy
    • BlackRiver Taxidermy
  • Groups: RMEF, DU, NRA, WSTA
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 07:30:34 AM »
A cape or hide wont go 'bad' per-say in a freezer unless it was put there with it degrading already. The problem with long term storage in a freezer is the lips, ears, and especially the ears tend to freezer burn making it next to impossible to 'turn' in prep for tanning and mount work. Ive had a bear that was in cloth meat bag that was darn near impossible to turn after only 8 months in the freezer and also a bear that was brought in that was wrapped and stored properly in a  freezer for 9 years and it was perfect to prep for tanning.
Best method----
Lay cape out flesh side up, remove as much red meat, don't worry about removing fat as it can help preserve the skins with its insulating properties. Only remove fat if is in HUGE amounts. Get the hide fairly free of moisture and water (damp is fine, just not dripping wet). Fold the hide over on itself, flesh side to flesh side. Tuck the ears into themselves (example-tip of the right ear into the cavity of the left ear) to protect the ends. Start with the face and roll up, making sure the face area is on the inside of the roll and protected by the hide; keep the roll tight. Put in a HEAVY duty plastic bag like a contract style rubbish bag and remove as much air as possible. Secure the top and place in the freezer. The freezer is also detrimental. If you have a freezer that doesn't hold a constant temp or is opened enough to start even a little defrosting then its rough on the cape integrity. Best is to place the freezer in the bottom of the chest freezer or on the backside of a shelf in a standup to ensure constant temps.
Hope this helped-
Happy thanksgiving!!!
Joel/BRT
WWW.blackrivertaxidermy.com
360-789-5056- Joel Swecker-BRT

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 01:44:34 PM »
I have 3 capes in my freezer right now from this fall. One is in a bag the others arent. Theyll be going to the taxidermist this weekend.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2020, 02:53:06 PM »
I know several taxidermist and none of them freeze raw unprepped capes for months. If you bring it in frozen they immediately will thaw and get it prepped.

What do you mean prepped ?   Fleshed out and dried like one would do with a fur pelt ?

Offline Tenkara

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2020, 04:34:52 PM »

What do you mean prepped ?   Fleshed out and dried like one would do with a fur pelt ?
I think he's referring to not having anything turned.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 05:56:10 PM »
Gotcha, they prep then freeze.

Offline Sandberm

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 06:07:02 PM »
If...I get a deer during this late season...the goal is do do something with the hide myself. I saw an article in Traditional bowhunter on how to do it...I used to buy traditional gear from a guy that laid stuff out on a deer hide, pretty cool I thought. I did a Euro mount with my first deer, a hide would be cool me thinks.

Can't be that hard right? :dunno:

I mean. the only hard part about the euro mount was pressure washing deer brains all over myself.  8)

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2020, 06:46:04 PM »
I mean. the only hard part about the euro mount was pressure washing deer brains all over myself.  8)

Yea hear that!   Not for the squeamish.  Old timers added to scrambled eggs  :yike:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal