collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2020 Deer post em here  (Read 151391 times)

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
Re: 2020 Deer post em here
« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2020, 09:01:33 AM »
The high hunt can be quite the adventure. Even challenging with this years smoke.

Nice work man, congrats!  Looks like you won the battle of the Napequa  :chuckle:
i can’t see your buck pic for some reason

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2020, 03:11:35 PM »
Couple of really nice high hunt bucks  :tup:

:yeah:  Great job you two!

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2020, 04:05:20 PM »
The high hunt can be quite the adventure. Even challenging with this years smoke.

Nice work man, congrats!  Looks like you won the battle of the Napequa  :chuckle:
I edited his post and put a screen shot of the pic so you can see it.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline greenhead_killer

• Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2020, 04:09:18 PM »
Thanks! Just looked and it was there.

Great bucks guys! Thanks for sharing!

Offline ganghis

• Scout
« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2020, 04:18:30 PM »

I edited his post and put a screen shot of the pic so you can see it.

Thanks a lot - I was having trouble uploading the .jpg so switched to .pdf.  I'll try something else next time

Offline cb1989

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2020, 02:28:05 PM »
The high hunt can be quite the adventure. Even challenging with this years smoke. Key is to not listen to arrogant think they know it all hunters who try to deter you from hunting their so called "area" :tup:

Great buck. I still am not sure if you were actually up where you said you were or if you were trolling, but whether you were actually in there or not, you can bet on the internet rangers being in there next year. So you either blew your own spot, or someone else's. Either way, probably not a good decision. But congrats on the successful hunt.

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2020, 03:04:53 PM »
Well onewhohikes that’s a stud buck congrats!

Offline UpperleftPNW

• Tracker
  • Groups: None
« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2020, 03:46:06 PM »
I got my first deer this year. I am a second year archery hunter. Put in a lot of time last year but ended my season with lost a blacktail after what I thought was a perfect shot. After playing that over and over in my head all year I told myself I wouldn't take anything but a perfect shot at 30 yards or less.

I woke up before first light and started hiking with my hunting partner. We saw 2 white tail doe about a mile from camp about 100 yards out but we spooked them off. My partner wanted to chase them but i knew they were long gone so we split up. I continued around an area I have seen deer in and came across another hunter that pointed out 2 does and 2 small non-shooter bucks. I told him thanks and that I didn't want to mess up his hunt so I would be on my way. He laughed and said he wasn't after a doe and insisted I go after the bigger doe of the group. We chatted for a few minutes as we watched the deer make their way through a field of sage brush. We made a plan to pinch them out of the brush so I could get a shot. We ended up bumping the deer onto the next hill side. Him being a vet hunter said never chase a deer, wait and wait and slowly follow or if you have a good idea where they are going try to cut them off. So I waited a half hour and started hiking to an area I thought them may have headed. Sure enough they were only a few hundred yards away and I was able to get within 100 yards no problem. Closing the remaining distance took me nearly 2 hours of slowly creeping closer and closer, the deer had me made but I figured if I moved slow they wouldn't see me at a threat. I got within 40 yards but had a ravine and too much brush in my way. I backed out and got onto their side of the ravine just as they headed over the ravine again. This time they were a little more in the open and i got right to 30 yards when the small bucks decided they didn't want anything to do with me. I thought it was over, but then the bigger doe took a step up hill, perfectly quartering away and 30 yards on the dot. I drew my bow, held it there for what seemed like for ever, going through my mental checklist, making sure there would be no regrets letting the arrow fly no matter the result. Boom I hit the release and hear a thud and the deer is instantly crashing down the ravine. Tries to get up and makes 10 ft before it's back down. At this point my heart is pounding and I am in disbelief that I have a deer down just 40 or so yards away. Still worried it might get up and run I quietly wait 15 - 20 minutes, finally go check and she is dead.

What an experience it was. I am so happy to have the vet hunter point out the deer and give me the advice he did. i think talking him put me in the exact calm calculated mind set I needed. Got through the field dressing fairly quickly, i did accidentally pop the stomach and have a nasty puff of stomach gas go right into my face. No spillage or spoiling of the meat though. Got the deer back to camp, got her skinned and sitting in a game bag. Started getting worried about the 80 degree day so decided to quarter it and get it on top of some ice in my coolers. Went from shot taken to fully put away in the coolers in less then 3 hours.

I have 35 pounds of steaks and stuff to grind along with 10 ish pounds of trimming I cooked to mix in with the dog food.

I am grateful to have had this opportunity and have my first deer under my belt. Now to next year and hopefully a buck.

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2020, 07:36:21 PM »
Congrats on #1 PNW
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline elkboy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2020, 11:43:22 PM »
Palouse whitetail buck, young 4x4.  I sat for the opening evening of muzzleloader season in a draw with ponderosa pines and hawthorns.  A doe and fawn wander through, and I just enjoy the experience.  Twenty minutes later, this young buck comes through and grazes in a wet meadow area in the bottom of the draw.  I watch him for five or six minutes, looking at him through the binoculars to ensure he is legal.  He turns and heads up the draw, gradually trending broadside.  When he comes to about fifty yards, I stop him with a mouth grunt, and let the bullet fly.  He runs fifty yards and falls into a brushy draw.  He has a very large body for his age class- I am sore from packing him out! Grateful for the meat for winter. 

Offline Pete112288

• Sourdough
« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2020, 01:11:35 AM »
 :tup:

Offline Pinetar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #101 on: September 27, 2020, 03:38:39 AM »
 :tup: Congrats! And some good eats!!

Offline swanderek

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Hunter
« Reply #102 on: September 27, 2020, 07:03:17 AM »
Opening morning mule deer.
100 yard shot. Deer is still in velvet. Is that odd?

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #103 on: September 27, 2020, 08:42:56 AM »
Opening morning my 15 year old daughter passed three legal bucks hoping for a bigger one. We put the stalk on a big 3x3 but just couldn’t get close enough for a shot. It was 11am and I asked if she wanted to go back for lunch or take another look at the deer we had passed. She decided to go take one more look. We found the biggest of the three still in the same basic spot. Earlier he was at 79 yards broadside and then bed down at 84. I was shocked she passed him and now he was 140 yards away.

We decided to sneak around above him. We got to 60 yards but only could see his horns. He spooked and ran downhill with three does in the lead. They stopped at 100 yards but were all bunched up, no ethical shot. They started to slowly move to the right. The first doe stepped into the opening at 126 yards. We setup for the shot and the buck had read the script. He followed the does on the same path and paused in the opening. She settled her knight bighorn loaded with Leigh 230 grain .45 caliber bullets suggested by @Sabotloader , thanks man, squeezed the triggered and flipped the buck over. Dumped him right there. All of the points are are over an inch so we are calling it a 3x4.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #104 on: September 27, 2020, 09:40:45 AM »
Opening morning my 15 year old daughter passed three legal bucks hoping for a bigger one. We put the stalk on a big 3x3 but just couldn’t get close enough for a shot. It was 11am and I asked if she wanted to go back for lunch or take another look at the deer we had passed. She decided to go take one more look. We found the biggest of the three still in the same basic spot. Earlier he was at 79 yards broadside and then bed down at 84. I was shocked she passed him and now he was 140 yards away.

We decided to sneak around above him. We got to 60 yards but only could see his horns. He spooked and ran downhill with three does in the lead. They stopped at 100 yards but were all bunched up, no ethical shot. They started to slowly move to the right. The first doe stepped into the opening at 126 yards. We setup for the shot and the buck had read the script. He followed the does on the same path and paused in the opening. She settled her knight bighorn loaded with Leigh 230 grain .45 caliber bullets suggested by @Sabotloader , thanks man, squeezed the triggered and flipped the buck over. Dumped him right there. All of the points are are over an inch so we are calling it a 3x4.

Absolutely a great pic! I am glad that bullet worked so well for her! They really are good bullets!

mike
Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]