collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2020 Deer post em here  (Read 151665 times)

Offline ganghis

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
Re: 2020 Deer post em here
« Reply #105 on: September 27, 2020, 02:30:31 PM »
Opening morning my 15 year old daughter passed three legal bucks hoping for a bigger one. We put the stalk on a big 3x3 but just couldn’t get close enough for a shot. It was 11am and I asked if she wanted to go back for lunch or take another look at the deer we had passed. She decided to go take one more look. We found the biggest of the three still in the same basic spot. Earlier he was at 79 yards broadside and then bed down at 84. I was shocked she passed him and now he was 140 yards away.

We decided to sneak around above him. We got to 60 yards but only could see his horns. He spooked and ran downhill with three does in the lead. They stopped at 100 yards but were all bunched up, no ethical shot. They started to slowly move to the right. The first doe stepped into the opening at 126 yards. We setup for the shot and the buck had read the script. He followed the does on the same path and paused in the opening. She settled her knight bighorn loaded with Leigh 230 grain .45 caliber bullets suggested by @Sabotloader , thanks man, squeezed the triggered and flipped the buck over. Dumped him right there. All of the points are are over an inch so we are calling it a 3x4.

Awesome!  Congrats to daughter and father! 

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #106 on: September 27, 2020, 03:18:53 PM »
Nice deer! Keep em coming

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #107 on: September 27, 2020, 03:41:49 PM »
Nice job
Took a buddy out for muzzy yesterday
Thought with the weather it was going to be busy. Not in our area. Slow saw 6 does.

Offline wilsoka

• Pilgrim
  • 509-440-2348
« Reply #108 on: September 28, 2020, 03:52:09 PM »
Congrats!

Offline Gonehuntin01

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, DU
« Reply #109 on: September 29, 2020, 07:20:59 AM »
Congrats to everyone so far.  Great looking deer.

Offline elkboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #110 on: September 29, 2020, 07:34:56 AM »
Great job, everyone!  Rainier10, that sounds like a great hunt with your daughter.  I wish I had been hunting at age 15!  Congratulations to her on a great job with the old smoke pole. 

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #111 on: September 29, 2020, 08:37:30 AM »
Awesome buck Miss Rainier! Congrats to you guys!!

Offline HillHound

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #112 on: September 30, 2020, 01:13:15 PM »
Well I have gone back and forth on posting this but figured what the hell im not to concerned about being judged. I finally got it done with my bow on one of the nicer deer I had been seeing. Unfortunately that day we had terrible thunder storms. As the group of bucks worked down the hill towards me the thunder started. Then sprinkles of rain, which we hadn’t had for months. Soon it was a torrential downpour and although the thunder had the four bucks on edge they were still feeding and heading my way. As always the biggest in the group was last in line. I had a tall narrow crab claw four point at 10 yards but could see the bigger buck was going to come by on almost the same trail. After being at full draw twice and not being able to get the angle I needed the big buck finally turned broadside at 26 yards. As I struggled to get my aim in the pouring rain I let my arrow fly. He flinched at the shot and I hit him higher and further forward than I wanted, but watched the arrow disappear into his shoulder. I only waited a few minutes for  the other bucks to clear the area as they were trying to figure out what happened. I found a few spots of blood, no arrow and within minutes the blood I had was gone. Soon there was standing water and even the tracks were washed away it was raining so hard. I grid searched all day. Could not come up with anything. He went right into a creek bottom that was thick with hawthorns and all kinds of brush That was over your head. I crawled around on every bear trail in there and could not find him. I went home dejected and almost in disbelief that I had watched the arrow get great penetration but couldn’t find him. Going back to look even though knew the meat was a loss at this point I saw a huge bear, too far to shoot without a rifle. I dropped down the hill and covered ground to get closer. As I peeked over the hill again he was going into the brush, right where I had been looking for my buck. He had a beat down trail going in and after more looking found where he cashed my deer he ate. I had been less than 20 yards from it when I was looking but it was just so thick you couldn’t see it unless you tripped over it. So no meat to show but I am tagged out on deer for the year. Definitely a bitter sweet ending, must have only got one lung since he went 300+ yards through thick terrain. But at least he’s not still out there suffering and the bear got a good meal.

Offline Platensek-po

• Sourdough
« Reply #113 on: September 30, 2020, 01:15:58 PM »
Well I have gone back and forth on posting this but figured what the hell im not to concerned about being judged. I finally got it done with my bow on one of the nicer deer I had been seeing. Unfortunately that day we had terrible thunder storms. As the group of bucks worked down the hill towards me the thunder started. Then sprinkles of rain, which we hadn’t had for months. Soon it was a torrential downpour and although the thunder had the four bucks on edge they were still feeding and heading my way. As always the biggest in the group was last in line. I had a tall narrow crab claw four point at 10 yards but could see the bigger buck was going to come by on almost the same trail. After being at full draw twice and not being able to get the angle I needed the big buck finally turned broadside at 26 yards. As I struggled to get my aim in the pouring rain I let my arrow fly. He flinched at the shot and I hit him higher and further forward than I wanted, but watched the arrow disappear into his shoulder. I only waited a few minutes for  the other bucks to clear the area as they were trying to figure out what happened. I found a few spots of blood, no arrow and within minutes the blood I had was gone. Soon there was standing water and even the tracks were washed away it was raining so hard. I grid searched all day. Could not come up with anything. He went right into a creek bottom that was thick with hawthorns and all kinds of brush That was over your head. I crawled around on every bear trail in there and could not find him. I went home dejected and almost in disbelief that I had watched the arrow get great penetration but couldn’t find him. Going back to look even though knew the meat was a loss at this point I saw a huge bear, too far to shoot without a rifle. I dropped down the hill and covered ground to get closer. As I peeked over the hill again he was going into the brush, right where I had been looking for my buck. He had a beat down trail going in and after more looking found where he cashed my deer he ate. I had been less than 20 yards from it when I was looking but it was just so thick you couldn’t see it unless you tripped over it. So no meat to show but I am tagged out on deer for the year. Definitely a bitter sweet ending, must have only got one lung since he went 300+ yards through thick terrain. But at least he’s not still out there suffering and the bear got a good meal.

Bummer man! looks like it was a nice buck. Way to stay positive and and keep at it until you found it!
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #114 on: September 30, 2020, 01:19:43 PM »
Glad you went back after him. Sounds like that bear didn't waste any time getting on him. Never fun to lose animal for sure.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Sutherland

• Longhunter
« Reply #115 on: September 30, 2020, 01:36:25 PM »
 :yeah:

Glad you were able to find him.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #116 on: September 30, 2020, 01:41:38 PM »
Not the type of success you hoped for but hey, you tagged your deer and fed next years target bear in the process. Thanks for sharing

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #117 on: September 30, 2020, 02:29:36 PM »
Good story, sad ending.  Thanks for sharing your bad luck with us.  The hunts don't always turn out perfect, despite our best efforts. 
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline emac

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #118 on: September 30, 2020, 03:04:15 PM »
Way to stick with. Now go back and shoot the bear that way when you eat the bear it somewhat be eating your deer also 😂

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline Sutherland

• Longhunter
« Reply #119 on: September 30, 2020, 04:19:19 PM »
 :yeah:

That's great  :drool: :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]