collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Offering advanced butchery and meat care techniques  (Read 8455 times)

Offline HillHound

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
Re: Offering advanced butchery and meat care techniques
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2020, 05:04:04 PM »
No offense but butchering beef and butchering deer and elk are 100% different.  Not saying you are not proficient at both but I've yet to find a cattle butcher that can cut game worth a damn. I also don't feel game can be cooked the same as beef.  Butchered over 100 game animals since I got fed up with multiple local butchers.
:yeah:
They can so grind ok

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2020, 05:09:32 PM »
No offense but butchering beef and butchering deer and elk are 100% different.  Not saying you are not proficient at both but I've yet to find a cattle butcher that can cut game worth a damn. I also don't feel game can be cooked the same as beef.  Butchered over 100 game animals since I got fed up with multiple local butchers.

I think you would be surprised what you could learn...100 animals is not very many

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Offering advanced butchery and meat care techniques
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2020, 05:17:45 PM »
Many techniques for cutting, preparing and cooking or preserving from all over the world.  Many opportunities to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Vktully

• Pilgrim
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2020, 06:27:12 PM »

Yeah I agree they are very different.  What is similar is individual muscle locations and cooking techniques that can allow somebody to get more out of their kill. Understanding why muscles cook the way they do is something that you can apply to any animal. Making products from trim and other things that go into grind or the garbage is a great feeling.  I’ve butchered all kinds of ungulates, waterfowl, and domestic animals. I’m not the end all be all of cooks and butchers I’m just offering help for guys who are interested. If your happy with your product that’s cool with me. Happy hunting

Offline Buzz2401

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2020, 08:21:23 PM »
Never afraid to learn. I got hunting partners who have showed me you can take the most gristly, tendon filled piece of shank and make it into a delicious meal

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2020, 10:12:33 PM »

Yeah I agree they are very different.  What is similar is individual muscle locations and cooking techniques that can allow somebody to get more out of their kill. Understanding why muscles cook the way they do is something that you can apply to any animal. Making products from trim and other things that go into grind or the garbage is a great feeling.  I’ve butchered all kinds of ungulates, waterfowl, and domestic animals. I’m not the end all be all of cooks and butchers I’m just offering help for guys who are interested. If your happy with your product that’s cool with me. Happy hunting

Don't get discouraged by voices on the internet. I think your offer is very stand up. I hope I can take advantage of it this season.  :tup:
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2020, 07:26:44 AM »
I’d be really interested.  I’ve been experimenting more every year.  What are some techniques for waterfowl? Elk and deer too?

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2020, 09:06:59 AM »

I think his offer is quite generous. This size of the cuts may be different, the fat content of the meat may be different, and the quality of the trim meat may be different, but the anatomy is the same with the cuts in the same places. :dunno: I don't know too many hunters with advanced experience in charcuterie who've applied their talents to wild game. This is a rare opportunity for most on this forum. Thanks to the OP.  :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2020, 09:32:37 AM »
Very generous and interesting, this household has a fair bit of experience and what you offer is very beneficial, thanks

Offline Vktully

• Pilgrim
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2020, 10:12:28 AM »
I’d be really interested.  I’ve been experimenting more every year.  What are some techniques for waterfowl? Elk and deer too?

For waterfowl I like to let them hang skin on in my fridge for a month of so, the skin becomes incredibly crisp and rich in flavor. I like making prosciutto with the breast’s as well. For ungulates its more about understanding how to cook muscles from various parts of the animal. Even different muscles from the hindquarter can cook way different. Know that information I can decide to cook it like a steak, braise it, grind it, or make it into charcuterie. Brining and smoking hearts are one of my favorites as well.

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2020, 11:24:02 AM »
So is this something you would like to do during the butcher process? Like we shoot something and then call you up ?? We have a walk in cooler so could have a week or two time window

Also at what cost ? Your time is worth alot

Offline Vktully

• Pilgrim
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2020, 01:09:14 PM »
So is this something you would like to do during the butcher process? Like we shoot something and then call you up ?? We have a walk in cooler so could have a week or two time window

Also at what cost ? Your time is worth alot

Yeah exactly. If you have bone in or boned out quarters etc. in the cooler I can come in and help you break down those quarters. For example if you wanted to take a portion of your top round and turn it into bressola- a type of charcuterie made from lean muscle, I’d show you how to brine it, rub it with spices, truss it and hang it. From there we could go through the process of how to monitor the bressola, and when it will be finished. We could look at some parts of that animal that you typically grind and I could show you how to prepare that as a steak. It can be as hands on or hands off as you want. I’m looking to turn this type of service into a career in the future so basically you’d just be paying for some salt, cheese cloth, and butchers twine. Not charging for labor or anything. Having a walk in cooler allows you to do some cool stuff.

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2020, 03:50:56 PM »
I would love to get more quality steaks off an animal

Offline Cascade

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2020, 04:24:29 PM »
I would absolutely love to get on this train!  I bought Hank Shaw’s buck, buck, moose years ago and and experiment with his recipes.  Charcuterie is an area I would like to learn from someone with more experience than I. 

Offline Vktully

• Pilgrim
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2020, 04:28:44 PM »
I would absolutely love to get on this train!  I bought Hank Shaw’s buck, buck, moose years ago and and experiment with his recipes.  Charcuterie is an area I would like to learn from someone with more experience than I. 

It’s definitely an area that most people think is unobtainable at home. With some salt, cheese cloth, and butchers twine it’s very doable. After that it’s just about maintaining the right environment, people have been doing this for thousands of years without commercial equipment and modern comforts. Understanding the process behind preserving and fermentation is the key. Thanks for the interest!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull