collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Offering advanced butchery and meat care techniques  (Read 8457 times)

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
Re: Offering advanced butchery and meat care techniques
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2020, 04:50:33 PM »
My recent favorite is treating game hearts like ham.

Can you clarify your process for this?

Offline Cascade

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Offering advanced butchery and meat care techniques
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2020, 04:51:53 PM »

Exactly.  I have a heart in the freezer I’ve been trying to find something different to do with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Vktully

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2020, 04:58:38 PM »

It will typically take about 3 quarts of water to submerge a heart, I weigh the water. After I have the weight of water I add 7% salt by that weight. If the water weights 100 grams I add 7 grams of salt. After dissolving the salt I add the heart and let it sit in the brine for 5 days. You want the heart to be fully submerged so weigh it down with some plates or something. I then smoke the heart for 8 hours at 200 degrees. If you want more smoke flavor go for longer at 190 less smoke go less time at 210.  Recipes will vary but that’s what works for me. If you want some extra flavor blend half a onion and a couple garlic cloves into your brine. Thanks for the interest
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 05:04:21 PM by Vktully »

Offline LastLookTaxidermy

• Business Sponsor
  • Tracker
    • Last Look Taxidermy Studio
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2020, 06:41:54 PM »
My sister and I would love to learn from you. We are hoping to have either a deer or a bear at some point. We usually butcher our own and try to watch YouTube videos on different unique cuts, along with brining and curing. It would be great to learn from someone with knowledge, and we would be happy to pay for whatever supplies we would need.

Offline kyle dillehay

• Tracker
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2020, 09:27:22 PM »
What a generous offer!  I'm in the middle of slicing and dicing a fresh elk right now and could use some processing and cooking tips.

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2020, 09:34:04 PM »
I better tag this

Offline kellama2001

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Everyone wants to eat-but few are willing to hunt
  • Groups: F4WM, MDF, NWTF, RMEF
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2020, 07:42:30 AM »
This is an incredible offer! I too am very interested in learning from you, would you be willing to travel to eastern Washington? Of course I would cover fuel, and whatever other expenses are necessary.
It must be a poor life that achieves freedom from fear.
-Aldo Leopold

Offline Vktully

• Pilgrim
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2020, 01:32:50 PM »
What a generous offer!  I'm in the middle of slicing and dicing a fresh elk right now and could use some processing and cooking tips.

Feel free to message me with any questions. Spent the last two weeks in the Idaho elk woods but didn’t find the bull I was looking for. Good to hear some people are getting it done!

Offline Vktully

• Pilgrim
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2020, 01:36:17 PM »
This is an incredible offer! I too am very interested in learning from you, would you be willing to travel to eastern Washington? Of course I would cover fuel, and whatever other expenses are necessary.

My schedule is pretty tight right now as are most hunters but might have some free time before November. I’ll keep you posted. Thanks for the interest!

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2020, 03:08:50 PM »
Super cool offer!!!  Tagging along as well. I have a fresh cow elk hanging in my cooler at the moment as well!

I have a walk-in cooler at my house so I have the ability to hand meat at a controlled temp for long periods of time.

I have the following butcher supplies

1/2 HP grinder
1 HP grinder
Cabelas Mixer
20LBS Stuffing Tube
Knives, sharpeners ext

I live in Walla Walla though so pretty sure there is no chance of you checking out my kitchen LOL. So given what i shared what would you suggest?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 03:30:59 PM by CoryTDF »
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Online Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2020, 03:21:56 PM »

It will typically take about 3 quarts of water to submerge a heart, I weigh the water. After I have the weight of water I add 7% salt by that weight. If the water weights 100 grams I add 7 grams of salt. After dissolving the salt I add the heart and let it sit in the brine for 5 days. You want the heart to be fully submerged so weigh it down with some plates or something. I then smoke the heart for 8 hours at 200 degrees. If you want more smoke flavor go for longer at 190 less smoke go less time at 210.  Recipes will vary but that’s what works for me. If you want some extra flavor blend half a onion and a couple garlic cloves into your brine. Thanks for the interest
Amazing offer man. I use this for when i brine something. It has multiple notches in the side that the lid can lock into and hold meat submerged without getting my but chewed for using the "good plates". Also, my brine bucket never gets confused with a garden or trash bucket any more.
https://www.amazon.com/Briner-Ultimate-Brine-Container-22/dp/B00PPRX9MO/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3PJ37EO3UBQ2E&dchild=1&keywords=briner+buckets&qid=1600899503&sprefix=BRINER%2Caps%2C219&sr=8-1
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline Vktully

• Pilgrim
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2020, 06:25:11 PM »

Amazing offer man. I use this for when i brine something. It has multiple notches in the side that the lid can lock into and hold meat submerged without getting my but chewed for using the "good plates". Also, my brine bucket never gets confused with a garden or trash bucket any more.
https://www.amazon.com/Briner-Ultimate-Brine-Container-22/dp/B00PPRX9MO/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3PJ37EO3UBQ2E&dchild=1&keywords=briner+buckets&qid=1600899503&sprefix=BRINER%2Caps%2C219&sr=8-1

Man that’s cool, never seen one before. Luckily my better half is also a cook so she’s used to crazy cooking *censored* all around our house.

Offline kyle dillehay

• Tracker
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2020, 08:08:44 PM »
Would you have any creative suggestions on what to do with a 5 lb. sirloin roast? Or back-strap steaks/roasts?  Charcuterie ideas?  Which cuts are best?

Thanks for your time!

Offline HarboritE

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2020, 11:07:24 AM »
Would you care to elaborate a little more in the heart recipe ? I want to try this with a fresh elk heart . I get the brine for 5 days and then smoke, but what then ? Do you slice it for sandwiches cold ? Slice and fry with breakfast ? Treat it just like a pork ham ? Also, for prep do you just use it whole since the brine will pull out a lot of the blood? Or do I trim it up nice first. Thank you for this information, very generous of you . Thank you

Offline Vktully

• Pilgrim
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2020, 12:02:22 AM »
Would you have any creative suggestions on what to do with a 5 lb. sirloin roast? Or back-strap steaks/roasts?  Charcuterie ideas?  Which cuts are best?

Thanks for your time!

Back straps would make great charcuterie. Obviously this is a popular cut to sear and treat like a steak. If I found myself with a lot of blackstrap and was looking to do something different I would treat it like a coppa. Coppa is a muscle from the neck running to the sirloin so fairly similar to back straps. The main difference is going to be fat content. It make great charcuterie nonetheless. There are some really good muscles from the round that are great for curing. Feel free to pm for recipes and instruction.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]