collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Savage Ultralite  (Read 6029 times)

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
Savage Ultralite
« on: September 06, 2020, 09:44:47 AM »
Anyone seen one in a store here is Washington?  I am looking for the 300 wsm specifically but would like to put my hands on any caliber before potentially ordering on line. 

Also.....I looked at buds guns shop online and some of the reviews are very troublesome.  I know a few people on here have had good reviews......anyone with bad?  Should I steer clear of this company? 

thanks

Jrebel

Offline Slenk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Savage Ultralite
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 09:50:25 AM »
I have hunted with Savage firearms for over 40 years never had a problem with any i have owned. Easy to change barrels if you want. More accurate out of the box than a lot of others.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 09:54:10 AM »
I have hunted with Savage firearms for over 40 years never had a problem with any i have owned. Easy to change barrels if you want. More accurate out of the box than a lot of others.

Slenk

Yes, I agree....I too have owned and hunted with savage for many years.  I have not owned one with the accustock yet.  I'm ready to buy but hate buying online when I h ave never actually held a certain model.  I hate surprises.....LOL

Offline Slenk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 12:58:28 PM »
Have you checked out savageshooters.com you might find some info over there that will help you.

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 02:25:03 PM »
Should have some hands on time with one early next week.  Be glad to give you thoughts after we get scope mounted and some lead down range.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 04:13:33 PM »
Should have some hands on time with one early next week.  Be glad to give you thoughts after we get scope mounted and some lead down range.

Thanks

I have been researching them for a couple months now and.......WELLL.....I got a little impatient and ordered one about the same time you were messaging me.   :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Just went out to buy some ammo  :yike: :yike: :yike: :yike:  $116 later for 40 rounds.  This winter I will be loading custom ammo for it....but in the mean while I will break it in with factory and maybe let my son kill his deer with it this year.  I will be topping it with a Nightforce SHV and likely shooting it with a suppressor.   I will need to buy a brake for it because the suppressor can't be taken to Canada.....I would be very curious what brake you get, assuming you get one. 

I likely will not lay hands on mine till after archery elk.  I would really like to hear your review after you shoot yours.   :tup:

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 05:11:10 PM »
I have a SavageStorm 110 . Just bought it back I’m May. Love the Accustock,trigger and accu fit.

Not ultra light.

But one the best rifles I have ever had.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 11:49:07 AM »
Just picked mine up and found out the hard way that savage is using #8 screws in this gun instead of the standard #6 theyve always used before, so the warne rail i bought wont work, just ordered the right one from egw.  Its always something.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2020, 01:12:50 PM »
Just picked mine up and found out the hard way that savage is using #8 screws in this gun instead of the standard #6 theyve always used before, so the warne rail i bought wont work, just ordered the right one from egw.  Its always something.

Yes, this has been a problem on quite a few of the savages starting about 10 years ago.  I was pretty impatient so I bought a 20 MOA rail and drilled the holes out to make them work.  Second gun I have done this with and it has worked so far.  Next time you can pick up a few 8-40 screws it is worth the money to have them on hand if you like savages. 

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2020, 01:16:57 PM »
Yeah the 8 40 screws wont seat into the warne rail i bought, and i didnt want to screw with drilling it out, so i just ordered the egw rail, seemed easier.  And a spare set of screws with it.  Didnt know this has been going on that long.  I have 2 of the model 16 lightweight hunters and they use the 6.  Oh well, just have to wait a few more days to get my scope mounted and play. 

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2020, 01:23:40 PM »
Yeah the 8 40 screws wont seat into the warne rail i bought, and i didnt want to screw with drilling it out, so i just ordered the egw rail, seemed easier.  And a spare set of screws with it.  Didnt know this has been going on that long.  I have 2 of the model 16 lightweight hunters and they use the 6.  Oh well, just have to wait a few more days to get my scope mounted and play.

:tup: :tup:  When torquing the EGW screws be careful not to damage the rail.  I had a screw go right through the aluminum rail..... :bash: :bash: :bash:  Don't quote me, but I think the first rifles they did that on were the BA Stealth series.  It is a huge pain in the arse and an even bigger let down for the shooter who crazy excited to get his gun set up....just to have this set back.  I have yet to find a rail in stores that fit the savage with 8-40 screws. 

Did you buy an ultralite?  What caliber?

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2020, 01:38:23 PM »
Yeah ultralite in .308.  Just got it today.  Have a zeiss victory v8 1-8x30 ready to put on it when my new rail gets here and i ordered a hellfire brake.

Offline bustedoldman

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
  • TEAM Potbelly Stallions
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2020, 02:20:16 PM »
I think all the newer 10/110 type platforms from savage Have the 8-40, def caught me by surprise as well.

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2020, 03:25:21 PM »
I have a buddy who picked one up. He put a bolt lift kit in his to smooth it out.
I'm not a fan of the stock, but the action & proof barrel seem really nice.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2020, 03:26:26 PM »
Just staring out the window, waiting for the fedex guy to bring my damn rail.  Tracking says today.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]