collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WTB - 12 Gauge Slug Shotgun  (Read 874 times)

Offline Pete112288

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • F.I.D.O!
Re: WTB - 12 Gauge Slug Shotgun
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2020, 11:41:22 PM »
My dad has a Mossberg 500 and I have a Mossberg 535. Both with rifled slug barrels.
I have shot Hornady SSTs, Winchester Partition Golds, and Federal Trophy Copper in 2 3/4 & 3"
I have seen no other results in going to 3" other than a more sore shoulder. At least with our guns.
The partition golds are the best. Amazing performance. Taken 8 deer with them & 1 elk. Short tracking and those sabot slugs are smaller than traditional slugs and I have not had near the problem with meat loss.
The partition golds we can normally hold a clover leaf group to 100 yards no problem. With practice its an easy 200 yard combo.
I shoot the Federal Trophy Copper now because I often hunt an area where it is only lead free ammo allowed. They are nice as well, have not gotten a deer with one yet though. And they shoot well, just not as great as the partition golds in our guns.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2020, 07:15:52 AM »
USMC - Ya I have found a few mossberg SSI one's that have a 3.5 inch chamber but it doesn't make sense to pick up one of those when I will be shooting 2.75 or 3" sabots through it. A 2.75" sabot would have .75 inch to rattle around in the chamber before it hits rifling. I have a hard time believing that would lend itself to good accuracy.

I've never even seen a 3.5 sabot. I think the rifled barrels are designed around 2.75/3".

I shot 2.75" sabots from a 535 slug barrel with really good accuracy.

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2020, 09:13:34 AM »
Something you might consider is a rifled choke tube.  I got much better accuracy than I expected when I tried a rifled choke tube on my 3 inch magnum 12 smoothbore, shooting Remington High Velocity 7/8 oz. slug in 3 magnum.  The first two shots were an inch high and almost touching at 40 yards.  At 100 yards it put two within 4 inches and only a couple of inches low.  Because I could not get more of the Remington slugs, I saved the rest, went hunting and killed a buck at 37 yards, hit exactly where aimed.

The tubes retain the option of changing choke tube and changing from tight shooting slug to buck shot on the same hunt in thicker cover.

A caveat is that ammunition has been so scarce I have not done the testing I would like, but the limited shooting I've done has been surprisingly accurate.

Offline Macs B

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2020, 09:50:05 AM »
For a dedicated slugger look into the modern bolt action fully rifled slug guns.  Mossberg 635 is ugly but very accurate.  Browning's 12 GA A Bolt slugger is another great one.  You can find savage and marlin offerings as well.  All have been professionally reviewed and all have performed extremely well. 

I personally own and love to hunt my Mossberg 635, fully rifled with a detachable 2 shot magazine.  It is a hammer with lightfield commander slugs. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 08:11:29 AM by Macs B »
I delete my posts after two days.

I've never claimed to be a house painter or a mechanic so it always amazes me how many people want to claim to be a lawyer.

Offline lokidog

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2020, 12:12:19 PM »
Unless you plan to hunt elk, I would recommend a 20g. IMO a much more useful round for the deer woods shooting saboted rounds.

Offline NiteHawk

• Pilgrim
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2020, 09:45:08 AM »
Thank you all for your input.

For a dedicated slugger look into the modern bolt action fully rifled slug guns.  Mossberg 635 is ugly but very accurate.  Browning's 12 GA A Bolt slugger is another great one.  You can find savage and marlin offerings as well.  All have been professionally reviewed and all have performed extremely well. 

I personally own and lovwe to hunt my Mossberg 635, fully rifled with a detachable 2 shot magazine.  It is a hammer with lightfield commander slugs. 

Macs B - I'm aligned with this idea. The 635's are funky looking but come up from time to time at a decent price on gunbroker. I think that will be the ticket.

The partition golds we can normally hold a clover leaf group to 100 yards no problem. With practice its an easy 200 yard combo.

This is why I want a dedicated rifled 12ga slug gun. The increased range and accuracy of a rifled slug gun would be well worth it in my opinion. Again, appreciate all of the input.

Offline kball4

• Scout
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2020, 11:02:09 AM »
Stevens aka Savage makes a single shot 12g model 301 $150 brand new.

Offline Macs B

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2020, 08:12:49 AM »
Thank you all for your input.

I personally own and lovwe to hunt my Mossberg 635, fully rifled with a detachable 2 shot magazine.  It is a hammer with lightfield commander slugs. 

Macs B - I'm aligned with this idea. The 635's are funky looking but come up from time to time at a decent price on gunbroker. I think that will be the ticket.

This is why I want a dedicated rifled 12ga slug gun. The increased range and accuracy of a rifled slug gun would be well worth it in my opinion. Again, appreciate all of the input.

My recommendation would be the Browning A Bolt Slugger.  It has held its value above and beyond all the other makers who came out with slugger rifles at that time.  Plus it is a really nice looking firearm.
I delete my posts after two days.

I've never claimed to be a house painter or a mechanic so it always amazes me how many people want to claim to be a lawyer.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Merwin Muskies by Blacklab
[Today at 04:31:27 AM]

Lots Of Commercial Fishing Boats Fishing By The Hood Canal Bridge by BigGoonTuna
[Today at 03:57:08 AM]

For Sale: 20 gage Franchi Instinct over and under by JuliaRWilliams
[Today at 03:37:31 AM]

Wolf killed LEGALLY near Colville Wa by highcountry_hunter
[Today at 02:45:05 AM]

Sons Grayback youth deer tag by spin05
[Today at 12:39:18 AM]

Hello from the south by Wolfdog2314
[Yesterday at 11:43:44 PM]

Idaho elk season by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 11:29:29 PM]

Yard Deer by stigalla