collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Leupold VX6HD 4-24....any reviews??  (Read 2194 times)

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
Leupold VX6HD 4-24....any reviews??
« on: September 18, 2020, 07:58:38 AM »
Looking to purchase this scope ASAP.....anyone use one?  Good / Bad / Ugly.....what do you have to say.  It will be going on a 300 wsm.  I have been shooting NF for many years now but cannot find the one I'm looking for so thinking about this leupold. 

One thing I cannot find as of yet is....does it have a zero set where you cannot back the dial beyond zero?? 

Thanks in advance

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
Re: Leupold VX6HD 4-24....any reviews??
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 08:19:16 AM »
If it has the zl2 or zl3 elevation dial it will have a stop and lock at zero. I believe toy can push the button and go a few clicks below zero also (i know you can on mark5hd, but not positive on vx6)

Offline TC_outdoorsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 08:48:42 AM »
I have that scope and before that I have just owned leupold 3x9s so I dont have a lot to compare it to. It does have the zero set where you can not back the dial beyond zero, you would have to take the turret off. I have the T-MOA reticle so you can just use the marks on the reticle if needed.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 08:50:14 AM »
I have a VX6 3-18x50 on my 20-250.  The optics are very good, I'd say they are on par with my NF NXS.  They're a little lighter than my NF.  Depending on the NF model you are comparing them to they can be about the same or maybe even a little less expensive than a NF.  BUT, would I trust their tracking to be spot on like a NF and not only be spot on but return to zero and do so on a regular basis day in and day out through any and all conditions, personally, I would not. 

When it comes to dialing, tracking, returning to zero, and doing so time after time through any and all conditions of use, IMO very few scopes compare to NF in this department.

Which specific model NF are you looking for?

Offline Mtnwalker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 09:07:08 AM »
If it has the zl2 or zl3 elevation dial it will have a stop and lock at zero. I believe toy can push the button and go a few clicks below zero also (i know you can on mark5hd, but not positive on vx6)

My vx6 locks in at zero and will not go backwards even with the button pushed. Just tried it

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 09:08:12 AM »

My vx6 locks in at zero and will not go backwards even with the button pushed. Just tried it
Well crap. Here i am spreading bad info.   :chuckle:  :sry:
Guess theyre a bit different than the mk5

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 09:44:22 AM »
I bought a Vx6 last year and been very happy so far.  zero lock has been very good so far.  I need to get out and shoot more, but that is on me.

Offline Mtnwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 11:35:15 AM »

Well crap. Here i am spreading bad info.   :chuckle:  :sry:
Guess theyre a bit different than the mk5

In all fairness you did have a disclaimer in there  :chuckle:

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 11:56:48 AM »
Been happy with my vx6 4-24 and vx6 7-42.   Weak spot was illuminated button cover that pops off but maybe they fixed it.   Two-turn zero lock is a nice setup. 

I did have to send my 7-42 in for turret repair.  I don't think the turrets are a as durable as nightforce or even the Mark V.  If you are dialing hundreds or thousands of shots a year I personally am skeptical but for a hunting scope they have been good for me.

I got a Mark 5 for target shooting and think its turret erector system is a little beefier but scope is 5 ounces heavier too.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 12:09:59 PM »
Thanks for all the response.  I think I will stick with nightforce.  I shoot their SHV scopes and have absolutely no complaints for the price.  I have read multiple reviews on the turrets getting fowled up and sticky.  I need repeatability and reliability.  I also need tougher than nails.....  These rifles and scopes see dust, grip, grime, cold, hot, wet, snow......well you get the picture.   :tup:

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 12:31:47 PM »
I also need tougher than nails.....  These rifles and scopes see dust, grip, grime, cold, hot, wet, snow......well you get the picture.   :tup:

Taking all that into consideration, I'd trust a NF over just about any other.  Not saying NF is the end all be all of scopes but when it comes to toughness, tracking, and repeatability, NF is second to none.

Offline hogslayer

• Longhunter
  • Groups: Bloody decks
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 02:06:53 PM »
A good friend has one.  When shooting at distance we noticed groups were hitting low.  Did a tracking test and it was 3/4 MOA off after 9 MOA.  Sent it back.  Had to beg them for a different one.  Got a new replacement and it still has some tracking issues.  1/2 MOA off above 11 MOA.  I don't trust them for big 30 cals. 

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 06:18:41 PM »
I also need tougher than nails.....  These rifles and scopes see dust, grip, grime, cold, hot, wet, snow......well you get the picture.   :tup:

Taking all that into consideration, I'd trust a NF over just about any other.  Not saying NF is the end all be all of scopes but when it comes to toughness, tracking, and repeatability, NF is second to none.
:yeah:
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 07:02:56 PM »
Went with the nightforce.   Thanks guys.....now I’m running four of them.

Offline RightPlace-RightTime

• Life is a collection of Memories-They are like starlight, They go on forever
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2020, 07:22:59 PM »
I just put a Leopold vx6hd 4x24 x 52 on a .300win browning hells canyon long range. Just got it all dialed in. Love it so far. Shot through chronograph. 
Waiting custom turrets

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal