collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: GMU 633 Mason  (Read 2407 times)

Offline soini8258

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
GMU 633 Mason
« on: September 04, 2020, 11:33:13 AM »
I was selected for a doe tag for this unit. I am unfamiliar with this area. Does anybody have some advise on where to go. I don't know where I can hunt in this GMU.

Thanks

Offline magnanimous_j

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
Re: GMU 633 Mason
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 12:46:16 PM »
The Tahuya State Forest is the biggest piece of public land in 633. I'd guess that would be your best bet.

Probably a pretty good one too. I've spent a lot of time in that area of the state and there are a lot of animals.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 01:17:44 PM »
Lots of DNR land. Private timber companies as well. Most allow foot access as the gates stay locked.

Study some maps, get onx or basemap app so you know where your hunting. Deer numbers are not what they used to be. Predators and poaching.  It might take a couple day trips to fill the tag.

Offline soini8258

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 08:48:18 AM »
Thanks for the advice!!

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 10:09:50 AM »
Belfair area and south to Shelton all have pretty healthy doe populations.  It should be a pretty easy tag to notch if you just sit on fresh sign.  Good luck!
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline screedler

• redneck nerd hybrid
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Tracker
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 03:02:58 PM »
Saw a bunch of doe on the green diamond resource co land I was shown by an old buddy last year up in GMU 633, a bit east of lake limerick and south of mason lake is about the best I can approximate as I'm from Olympia, don't know the mason county area too intimately. I'd reckon that whole peninsula is prime if you've got a doe tag... Lot of green diamond resource co land up there that may not require their walk in permit, their permit land is documented at https://www.greendiamond.com/recreation/rec-program/forms/N-S_Combo_map.pdf - if it's northeast of Shelton I don't think you need to buy the walk in permit. Check OnxMaps for the stuff that's northeast of shelton as there's a lot of it.

Try the areas on the edges of clearcuts that also have other terrain changes like railroads or water. That's where I saw em last year while I was walking along a railroad with my old friend last year anyway. Wish I had had a doe tag when we had come across 'em!

However: be careful not to walk ON or directly adjacent to a railroad though, stay on the forest co land if you can. I was admonished by the rail co employees that drove by on a railroad equipped truck that told me I can't be on the railroad and hunting with a gun. I learned my lesson when I went back there alone and ran the same route!
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. - Red Green

Offline Sutherland

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 03:38:54 PM »
Check out onx maps for sure.  :tup:

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal