collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Who gets an OTC bull every 1-2 years? Any state...  (Read 7576 times)

Online WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
Re: Who gets an OTC bull every 1-2 years? Any state...
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2020, 09:00:57 PM »
What I'm beginning to understand is that the idea of using June, July and August to ensure my wife is happy before I leave for all of September is not a winning elk strategy.

Also, trying to conserve vacation days and doing add-ons to weekend warrior sprints is probably also not a winning strategy.

Changing locations every couple of years... probably doesn't help either.

I think I've identified the core issue... marriage.

You do know that marriage is the leading cause of divorce  :chuckle:  Coming from the cat that has been married for almost 35 years. It is a balancing act.
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2020, 01:57:14 PM »
To follow up on this... ITS ALL GOOD.  Tag punched, good for another year until I reach rock bottom mid-sept next year.

Thanks to everyone for the commentary.  I hope that I feel like I'm in this group some day.  Maybe 7/10 years and I'll feel like I have a formula!

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2020, 02:15:57 PM »
I have had decent luck the past few years.

If you moved location on me that would be the hardest to overcome at first. I archery hunt WA and rifle hunt ID so with weapon is fine for me. There is really something to be said for learning the land and that takes time. If you uprooted me it might take a bit to learn the land and find the critters. I am confident I would find them though, being presented with a shot opportunity is always it's own challenge.
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline dreamingbig

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2020, 02:38:54 PM »
I don’t really put myself in this category but I have shot an elk with my bow 8 of the past 16 seasons.  3 of those were wasted on spike only tags in WA.  Going out of state the past 5 years has helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline Buckjunkie

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: USMC Vet, NRA Life Member, SCI Life Member, WAFNAWS Life Member
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2020, 02:52:04 PM »
I know a 70 year old guy who has over 80 bulls under his belt. I have known him for 30 years and I can only remember one year he didn’t kill one in Wa. If I had to nail down a couple reasons for his success, I would say 1)He scouts year round. He’s alway in the woods and 2) He is a smart guy. Very logical and makes good decisions based on years of experience.

You can spend more time if your marriage can take it. The experience will come if you don’t give up.

Offline bkaech

• Scout
  • Groups: BHA, RMEF, NRA
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2020, 04:47:29 PM »
I am right at 50% since switching to Muzzy elk hunting.... that's 3 bulls in 6 years. My Entire hunting party is about the same. The biggest thing is the location, and not that we hunt an awesome location (SW Washington) but my dad has hunted in this area for 50 years, combined with uncles and cousins and now me and my brothers we know the area really well and if we moved areas it would likely take 4 or 5 years to get to know the new area like we know this area.

Offline haftard

• Hunter
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2020, 10:34:13 PM »
Dude its elk hunting. You just need to get in an area and learn the elk herd. Having access to less pressued elkl is a +, but learn about elk and learn the elk in the area. Like where they like to rut, feed, sleep, ect.

Offline Michaelw

• Pilgrim
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2020, 11:21:26 AM »
I run about 70% rifle hunting and 67% bow hunting.

For me it’s really down to one thing.  Location.

I elk hunt in Oregon.  Rifle hunting late season.  It’s a area that my family has been hunting for generations.  Their are always at least some elk in the area.  I know the area like the back of my hand.  Or better.  Where they feed, where they travel, where they bed.  How they react to pressure.  Also, I’m not a glassing person.  We hunt more dark timber and thickets.  It’s up close and personal most of the time.  Many may not agree with this but I’m the guy that goes in and makes things happen one way or another.  For better or worse. 

I don’t use calls. Weapons don’t matter to me too much.  Although I prefer rifle now just because it allows me to hunt with my father and that means more to me as I have gotten older

But drop me in a new area and I’m sure that I would not do as well.  Or it would take me a bit longer to figure out where the boys are hiding. 

Also, I don’t scout at all.  I know the area well enough after 20+yrs of being in there.  The elk usually don’t move into the area until fall anyways.  Scouting in summer has no impact on what’s going to be there in November.  At least in our area. 

So yeah.  I think personally the biggest keys to me is to find areas that have elk consistently.  And learn the area well.  Also, learn where the elk go when pressured.  In our hunting area they really don’t leave per say.  But they hunker down even more.

If you can find areas where elk like to move to when pressured big bonus.

Also, don’t be afraid to mix it up in the thick stuff.  Every elk I have killed with a rifle has been in thick junk.  From 20-100yds.  Sure. It’s not easy, and you will spook lots of animals.  But the more you get into them the better your chances are of connecting.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal