collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mountain house time!!!!!  (Read 10523 times)

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
Re: Mountain house time!!!!!
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2020, 10:16:08 PM »
I have figured ou that there are meals from every brand that are good and that make me blow chunks...  the best plan is to try them and see what you like.. EVERYTHING  tastes better in the bush.... if you can stomach it at home... its good to go  :tup:

Offline HAGEMANIAC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA, NWTF, RMEF, MDF, VFW, USAF
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2020, 10:22:46 PM »
If it has to be MH, I'm going B&G, Beef Strog and Lasagna.
God made man, Samuel Colt made them equal.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2020, 11:37:22 PM »
I’ve always been a mountain house eater, but was recently recommended to try the Peak meals. Good flavor, less water and better for you. I’m going to sample a few one of these days.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline elkchaser54

• Scout
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2020, 12:41:54 AM »
MH beef stroganoff and spaghetti are the best. Italian steak and rice is a close third.  But the new recipe this year is smaller portions which really sucked cause im a big eater.  I've added the instant potatoes to MH and it adds flavor, just add a little extra water.  Already cooked bacon bits to the chicken and rice is heaven.  Don't you dare leave home without a small bottle of hot sauce in your pack. 

Offline Salmonmoocher12

• Tracker
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2020, 07:04:07 AM »
I have lived on the freeze dried meals while hunting the back county. After a week of eating them they all taste the same.  What I did to kick it up a notch was I packed a pack of the Kraft singles cheese and put 1-2 slices in each  meal when you add the hot water it  really makes them better and sad to say pretty tasty.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2020, 09:19:59 AM »
I can’t believe someone talked down about the MH chili Mac n beef. Blasphemy.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Oldguy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2020, 09:25:32 AM »
I can’t believe someone talked down about the MH chili Mac n beef. Blasphemy.

I hate regular Mac and Cheese but I'll admit the MH with beef is tasty. I'm starting to sound like a company rep!

Offline Tiger1358

• Scout
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2020, 10:34:26 AM »
Try Heather's Choice. Just a couple of extra dollars for organic homemade dehydrated food that actually looks like food and not powder.

Offline ganghis

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2020, 01:09:29 PM »
Taste wise it’s up to you on the freeze dried stuff. But there are oceans in between the brands on their shelf life/preservation techniques. If you’re just buying then and using them during the same season it’s a nonissue. If they’re something you keep or store for emergency food however, other brands don’t stack up. Not even close. Wise for example has almost atmospheric levels of oxygen in their meals, roughly 100x more than MH. 

https://blog.safecastle.com/2012/08/osu-lab-test-pits-mountain-house-vs.html?m=1

I had a buddy who found some misplaced mountain house in his basement and took it with him backpacking.  Turned out the scrambled eggs had gone rancid - that sure would suck!  Not sure how old they were but the shelf life is finite.  Probably some meals more than others

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2020, 01:34:39 PM »
I’ve always been a mountain house eater, but was recently recommended to try the Peak meals. Good flavor, less water and better for you. I’m going to sample a few one of these days.

The peak meals are BOMB. Every one I’ve had has been great. The best part is the huge portions - with a MH meal after a hard hunt you better have something else to eat because you’re still gonna be hungry. Not with the peaks.

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2020, 01:36:37 PM »
Taste wise it’s up to you on the freeze dried stuff. But there are oceans in between the brands on their shelf life/preservation techniques. If you’re just buying then and using them during the same season it’s a nonissue. If they’re something you keep or store for emergency food however, other brands don’t stack up. Not even close. Wise for example has almost atmospheric levels of oxygen in their meals, roughly 100x more than MH. 

https://blog.safecastle.com/2012/08/osu-lab-test-pits-mountain-house-vs.html?m=1

That stuff is rancid even if it was made yesterday :chuckle:

I had a buddy who found some misplaced mountain house in his basement and took it with him backpacking.  Turned out the scrambled eggs had gone rancid - that sure would suck!  Not sure how old they were but the shelf life is finite.  Probably some meals more than others
The mountains are calling and I must go

Offline SGTDuffman

• Scout
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2020, 02:08:34 PM »
Taste wise it’s all personal preference in between brands. If you buy and use them within a year or two, it doesn’t matter what you get. Just get what you like the taste of.

If they’re something you purchase as a long term survival option, just know that there are significant differences in the longevity between brands, as well as significant differences based on the packaging used within the same brands. The vacuum sealed bags have a significantly shorter shelf life (7-10yrs) than the cans (25-30yrs). And cans of individual ingredients would be more versatile than premade meals.

You can also get relatively plain “meals” like macaroni and cheese and add to them with bacon bits or tuna etc. to make them better than most fully freeze dried/dehydrated meals. You really gotta stir things up to make sure you don’t find some semi dry lump of something in those meals too. Newer MREs are actually really good. Canadian MREs have wine in them, but I doubt you can buy those.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 09:54:31 PM by SGTDuffman »

Offline Buckhunter24

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2020, 03:23:53 PM »
So I shouldn't trust the best by 2050 stamp on mine

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2020, 04:26:34 PM »

The peak meals are BOMB. Every one I’ve had has been great. The best part is the huge portions - with a MH meal after a hard hunt you better have something else to eat because you’re still gonna be hungry. Not with the peaks.

You must not buy the 2.5 serving MH’s. I eat like a horse and have trouble finishing them.

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2020, 10:20:24 AM »
I raided my stash and had on hand:
Taking with me, (all MH)
(6) biscuits and gravy
(2) lasagna and meat sauce
(3) beef stroganoff
(1) noodles and chicken
(3) rice and chicken

Trading to poor schmucks, (all MH)
(2) chili burger mac
(1) ice cream bar
(1) scrambled eggs
(2) breakfast skillets

I have also ordered:
(2) Peak refuel pesto
(2) Peak refuel alfredo

The plan is the 13 dinners I take will get me through all my days out. The biscuits and gravy I will get to have every other day and on an off day hot oatmeal. For lunches I normally use bars and junk food items. I think I have a solid layout for my hunt other than I have never tried the stuff from PEAK.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]